ESL Learning Outcomes
- Students will be able to understand the main ideas and some details of most spoken discourse.
- Students will be able to perform a broad variety of oral communicative tasks.
- Students will be able to identify purpose and rhetorical pattern in a text.
- Students will be able to use a variety of strategies to comprehend a grammatically complex text.
- Students will be able to annotate, outline, mind-map, summarize, analyze, infer, and respond critically to a text.
- Students will be able to write a cohesive essay with a clear, well-supported thesis using details and transitions appropriately.
- Students will be able to use an adequate range of language including more complex forms.
- Students will be able to revise and edit for organization and content and understand standardized editing symbols.
- Students will be able to perform basic research, paraphrase, summarize, and cite sources as support for an essay.
- Students will engage in class, focus on instruction/activities, and demonstrate appropriate participation according to cultural norms
- Students will work collaboratively with other students, and demonstrate tolerance and appropriate conflict management skills.
- Students will be highly self-directed and ask pertinent questions in class and when uncertain about assignments.