Students Compete for DECA Awards
SPOKANE, Wash. - Twelve Gonzaga University students were among nearly 1,500 international and American students who competed in the recent Collegiate DECA (Distributive Education Clubs of America) International Career Development Conference in Washington, D.C.
Competing in various events last month against students from more than 150 universities in the United States and other countries, students in the Gonzaga DECA chapter delivered strong performances both in the preliminary and final competitions. Six Zags advanced to the finals in four competitive events: marketing management, event planning, business-to-business marketing, and restaurant management - advancing to the final top ten ranking.
Those six students are:
- Lilia Haberman, a business administration major from Seattle: Top 10 finalist in restaurant management.
- Michael Janney, a business administration major from Seattle: Top 10 finalist in business-to-business marketing.
- Alexis Kozyra, a special education major from Spokane: Top 10 finalist in event planning.
- Anabella Labate, a business administration major from Spokane: Top 10 finalist in event planning.
- Jessi Oyama, a business administration major from Spokane: Top 10 finalist in business-to-business marketing.
- Riana Slyter, a business administration major from Kent, Washington: Top Ten finalist in marketing management.
"As the DECA chapter looks ahead to the future, we remain confident that we will continue to represent Gonzaga and make the Zags proud," said Gena Hoxha, student services coordinator.
For more information, please contact AJ Hawk at (509) 313-7036.