About Kennel Campout
Since 2006, Tent City has been the way students demonstrate their dedication to the Zags! What started as the most dedicated students setting up tents overnight has now become a rite of passage during all students’ time at Gonzaga. Tent City begins with a scheduled tweet from the Kennel club Twitter account at 12:15 pm. This tweet will give a location on campus that students will race to receive their tenting number. This tent number is not only your assigned location within Tent City, but it also determines the order you enter the Kennel. Starting the day prior to tip-off, Tent City is set up on either Foley or Herak Lawn and lasts throughout the night. Tent City Participants can expect swag, food, and entertainment at Tent City events. So go grab five friends, put your running shoes on, watch for the tweet, and get ready to run!
In 2022, The Kennel Club reevaluated the name "Tent City" for the event. This name has gained a negative connotation due to its association with the community experiencing houselessness in the Spokane area. The Kennel Club is in the process of rebranding the Tent City event and transitioning to a new name of Kennel Campout. We are working with CCE (Center for Community Engagement) and getting input from the Spokane community while implementing this change.
Be sure to follow @ZagKennelClub on twitter to stay up to date with Kennel Campout.
*** Kennel Campout is our way of lining up to get into the Kennel. Make sure that you get a ticket to the game by attending ticket distribution prior to tenting.
Kennel Campout 2022-23 Schedule:
- UW Kennel Campout – Tweet: December 7th, Event: December 8th/9th
- BYU Kennel Campout – Tweet: February 8th, Event: February 10th/11th
- Saint Mary's Kennel Campout – Tweet: February 22nd, Event: February 24th/25th
How Kennel Campout Works:
- Find a group of students who claimed a ticket to the Kennel Campout game. (Friends who did not get tickets or are not tenting can also be inside Kennel Campout during visiting hours but cannot participate in "THE RUN")
- Print out and complete the Kennel Campout Registration Form (the file will be attached to an email you will receive). EACH TENT GROUP MEMBER SHOULD HAVE A REGISTRATION FORM WITH ALL MEMBERS' SIGNATURES IN HAND FOR TWEET
- Follow @ZagKennelClub on Twitter
- On the day of the tweet, spread your tenting team across campus in preparation for "THE RUN." Remember, the location can be anywhere on Gonzaga's Campus.
- At 12:15 pm, Kennel Club will tweet a location.The order you arrive at will be your tent number. Only 1 group member must be in line to secure your tenting position. REMINDER: YOU MUST HAVE YOUR REGISTRATION FORM SIGNED AND IN HAND UPON ARRIVAL AT THE TWEET LOCATION!
- Safely make your way to the tweet location and receive your Tent number.
- On the day of Kennel Campout follow the schedule emailed to you and set up a tent in allotted time.
- Have at least one person in the tent at all times. Kennel Board will perform regular tent checks to ensure students are participating.
- Abide by ALL the rules of Kennel Campout and always keep your wristband on (this is your pass to your reserved spot in line!)
- Enjoy the Kennel Campout
- Line up to enter the Kennel in your tenting order at the scheduled time.
- GO ABSOLUTELY CRAZY IN THE KENNEL!
*** Kennel Campout does not help you get a ticket to the game; it only determines the order that students will enter the game. If you are tent #1, you are the first group into the stadium. If you are tent #27, you are the 27th group in the stadium. You do not need to tent to go to the game, but people who do not tent will be entering the stadium behind ALL tent groups. If you choose not to tent, you may camp outside McCarthey but again will be let in after all Tenters.
Kennel Campout Rules and Regulations
- Adhere to Gonzaga's current masking and COVID policies.
- There must be a minimum of one person from each tent group in their tent at all times, and there MUST be a sign on the exterior of the tent indicating the tent number.
- All tents are to be set up in the corresponding tent number location.
- No amplified music between the hours of 10:00 P.M. and 7:00 A.M.
- No personal heaters or heater blankets/pads are allowed.
- Only Kennel Campout participants can be in the Campground between the hours of 10:00 P.M. and 9:00 A.M.
- If the temperature is forecasted to be 20 degrees Fahrenheit (10 degrees Fahrenheit with wind chill) or lower based off www.weather.gov/spokane, Kennel Campout will be shut-down by 10:30 P.M. and will resume the following morning at 7:30 A.M.
- All bags will be checked when entering Kennel Campout.
- No alcohol or drugs at any time inside Kennel Campout.
- Students must abide by all rules stated in the Gonzaga University Code of Conduct, including: Gonzaga's drug, alcohol, and sexual misconduct/harassment policies while inside the Kennel Campout.
- All Kennel Campout participants must sign an agreement stating they understand the Kennel Campout rules in addition to signing an Activity Release.
*** The first offense results in getting kicked out of Kennel Campout for that game, second offense results in getting kicked out of Kennel Campout for the rest of the season in addition to any other consequences issued by the University.