RISE is from Sunday through Thursday prior to New Student Orientation (August 23 - 27, 2020). Students are expected to arrive for check-in on Sunday, August 23 between 9 a.m. - 12 p.m
We will be volunteering at community organizations each day to learn about the Spokane community and support local nonprofit organizations. Past activities include helping at a homeless shelter, working in a community garden, playing soccer with youth, and working with individuals with disabilities.
June 10, 2020 a link to register for RISE will be available on the Pre-Orientation website. Registration is first-come, first served. The cost is $125 for the five-day program, which includes meals, housing, various activities, and t-shirts.
Students will stay in on-campus housing with the exception of one night off campus. Living accommodations will be basic and students will sleep on the floor in the common areas of the residence hall. Student leaders and CCE staff will be present each evening.
Students can pick up their keys at check in on Sunday, August 23 from 9 am to 12 pm. You may either move into your residence hall prior to RISE on August 23 or with the remainder of the incoming class on August 28.
RISE does not host a parent orientation. Parent and Family Orientation is during Orientation Weekend Friday, August 28 - Sunday, August 30
- To introduce incoming students to Gonzaga and the Spokane community.
- To explore GU's mission and values including service with and for others.
- To learn about service, social justice, and self by participating in activities on and off campus including individual and small group reflection.
- To build community among incoming first year students, faculty, staff, student leaders, and members of the Spokane community.
- To raise awareness about social justice issues that affect the Spokane community.
- To develop skills working with diverse individuals and groups of people.
- To encourage incoming students to get involved on campus as volunteers and leaders.