Room Inspections & Damages

Initial Room Inspections and Reports

Beginning of the year

  • Students are asked to fill out an online Room/Suite/Apartment Condition Report within 48 hours of moving into their residence hall space (link is sent to the student’s Gonzaga email by the end of the day that the student moves in)
  • Students are responsible for listing all damages that are found in the room
  • Students may be held accountable for damages that they do not list.
  • It is important to thoroughly check all spaces in the room/suite/apartment

End of the year

  • When a student moves out, a Resident Assistant (RA) arrives at the room to record the current condition of the room and passes the information on to the professional staff member
  • The RD/AC will ultimately determine the charges to be placed on the student’s account.
  • *Note: Damages to common areas of suites/apartments will be charged to all students of the room unless a student accepts individual responsibility for the damages. This may also be the case in residence hall rooms in corridor-style buildings where it is not clear which student is responsible.

On-Campus Deposit

  • The university requires applicants to submit a $200 deposit
  • This deposit provides security that the terms and conditions of the agreement will be fulfilled and the unit will be returned to its original condition when the student moves out of their space
  • At the end of the agreement term, the student will receive the remainder of their deposit.
  • *Note: The deposit is not a damage fund where intermittent damage charges are deducted during the course of the agreement terms; however, damage charges will be taken from the deposit at the end of the final year of the agreement term. Any damage charges incurred are assessed to the student’s account until the end of the agreement terms.

Damage Categories

*Note: Sometimes, damages are considered to be normal wear and tear and the student may not be charged.

Normal wear and tear includes:

  • dust on the walls
  • a dirty carpet that can be cleaned with a single carpet cleaning
  • dirty desk tops that can be easily wiped down
  • may include windows with vertical blinds with some missing slats
  • closet or wardrobe doors off rollers or with loose hinges
  • Etc.

Abnormal wear and tear includes:

  • Any intentional or accidental damage to a room
  • permanent stains in carpets
  • holes in walls/doors from nails and tacks which are not allowed
  • left behind tape on walls or decals on windows
  • tears in screens
  • rips in mattresses
  • broken light fixture covers
  • significant mold and mildew in shower/bath areas for apartments or suites
  • Etc.

Common Area Damage Charges

Students may also be charged for damage to building common areas such as:

  • building lounges/lobbies
  • Kitchens
  • study rooms
  • game rooms
  • hallways
  • *Note: these are regardless of whether or not they were involved in causing the damage.

At the end of each year, if the total charge for common area damage does not exceed $2.00 per student, the student will not be charged for common area damages. Please refer to your Student Handbook if you have more questions about our common area billing policy.

Timeline for Repairing/Charging Damages

Students wonder why they pay damages when they check-out and the following year see some damages that were not repaired.  Below are some examples:

  • To re-carpet a residence hall room based upon a single new stain would cost the institution $760.  We charge a student $25-$70 based upon the size of the stain.
  • To repair a wall in a residence hall room requires a patch of the holes (including appropriate drywall and mud material) as well as the painting of the entire room.  This is done so that the patch matches the paint in the rest of the room.  This work could cost a minimum of $560.  We charge $15-$65 per hole.

Contesting Damage Charges:

Charges will only be communicated to students via their student accounts. Charges will not be communicated with parents or guardians.

If a student wants to contest a charge, they may do so by submitting the Damage and Cleaning Charges Appeal Form.