Protect Against Theft

Protecting your valuables

You should know that many students suffer a loss of valuables due to theft each year, both on and off campus. The fact is that we suffer as much theft as the general population.  We work hard to inform our students of this reality of campus life.

  • In early summer literature, in a special clause about this in the Rental Application/Agreement, in first floor and community meetings early in the fall semester and with special related programs put on by our department of Campus Security throughout our residences.

Please consider protecting yourself by:

  • Keeping your room door closed and locked when no one is home
  • Keeping valuables out of plain sight both in your room and in your car
  • Not sharing your room keys with other students
  • Not propping security doors to your building or floor open
  • Purchasing a good Renter's Insurance Policy

Renter's Insurance

Gonzaga University's department of Housing and Residence Life has brochures and contact information for national companies which specialize in college students' renter's insurance needs. Such companies have some of the least expensive rates since these companies do business nationally with many colleges. Our particular companies will also cover students who live off campus in non University owned facilities.

Feel free to drop by to pick up a brochure or two, or call us and we'll be happy to mail one to you. In addition, here are a few companies you can reach online:

Renter's insurance will range from as low as $35 for the entire year to around $100 a year depending on the company, what you decide to cover, the amount you want covered, and the deductibles you wish to be responsible for.

Most students find a plan that is quite suitable for their needs at the very low end of this spectrum of pricing.

Whatever you decide, you will want to weigh the costs and benefits of renter's insurance for your particular situation. Rates and coverage will vary widely, from company to company. Consider as many different agencies as you can. If the above suggestions don't meet your needs, simply look under "insurance" in the yellow pages and begin calling insurance agencies. Pay attention to:

  • the type of coverage
  • coverage for damage to your personal property from fire, smoke, vandalism, wind, hail, snow, and water
  • coverage for theft of personal property on and off the premises
  • amount of coverage - the amount deductible is the sum you will be financially responsible for before a claim is covered by the insurance agency
  • living situation - the cost of the policy will depend on your living situation and is based on such facts as the number of apartments in the building, whether you live alone or with roommates, the construction of the building and whether you live in or out of the city limits