Housing & Residence Life Processes

Check-In Procedures:

  • Students must formally sign and return their Room/Suite/Apartment Condition Report (on ZagWeb through ZagLiving) within 72 hours of checking into their assigned room.
  • An email link will be sent to all students upon arrival with instructions for completing the form. This report serves as a description of the condition of the room/suite/apartment upon check in and the acknowledgment of possession of building/room keys.

Check Out Procedures: 

When a student permanently moves out of his/her room for any reason (i.e. room change, end of semester, withdrawal from the University, etc.) he/she must arrange for a check-out appointment through the Residence Life Staff well in advance of his/her departure.  At times students may be asked to or choose to complete an “Express Check-Out” without a staff member present.  

At the time of check-out, the student must:

  • Have his/her belongings completely removed from their assigned space.
  • The furniture back in its original location.
  • All areas cleaned and return his/her key(s). 
  • Check out related room damage charges are assessed later by a professional staff member.

Cleaning and Care:

In residence halls custodial service is provided only for common areas such as floor shower rooms, corridors and lounges. It is the student’s responsibility to maintain individual rooms, suite and apartment areas. Vacuums are available for check out in each residence hall from the Residence Hall Staff. Custodians are not responsible for excessive messes in common areas. Group billing may occur for the clean-up of excessive messes in common areas. Personal garbage and recycling, including pizza boxes, is not to be left in bathroom or common area garbage cans/ recycling bins. It is each resident’s responsibility to remove their personal garbage to the dumpster's and designated recycling areas. 

In caring for an apartment, please use a soft non-abrasive cleaner like Soft Scrub. Please avoid flushing paper towels, excessive amounts of toilet paper, or feminine hygiene products down the toilet. Clogged toilets have been an on-going problem for residents mainly because they have not adhered to these simple guidelines. 

Common Areas & Grounds:

  • It is essential that all persons within the community recognize the responsibility for the common good that exists at Gonzaga. The significance of a community, in part, is that individuals take an active role in the care of others.  If you notice damage or carelessness within your hall or anywhere on campus including grounds, we ask that you bring it to the attention of your Resident Assistant, Residence Director, or the Housing and Residence Life Office so that action may be taken.
  • The University will charge the cost of repairing common area damage, vandalism, or theft of property equally to the residents responsible for the area concerned. We therefore encourage each resident to consider him/herself equally responsible for building common areas, and to intervene directly in behavior that poses a threat to the physical facilities and property.

*Common areas are lounges, hallways, stairwells, lobbies, kitchen areas, recreation rooms, laundry rooms and bathrooms.

Common Area Damage/Billing Procedure:

Our own communities on campus are asked to bear the responsibility to prevent such damage, report it when you know who caused it, and assist the University with the cost of repair.

  • Damage, either deliberate or unintentional, occurring within a residence hall or on-campus apartment but for which no individual or group of individuals has taken responsibility, is termed “Common Area Damage.”
  • Everyone pays for unaccounted for Common Area Damage through indirect means such as increased housing costs and more direct by assessing equal charges to student housing accounts.
  • If Common Area Damages occur for which no person(s) are willing to accept responsibility, the following procedure will be followed:
    • The common area damages are allocated to the building, floor, or wing as determined by the Resident Director. The charge will be divided by the number of residents in the building, floor, or wing on the date the damages occurred. Charges are accrued throughout fall semester and a per person billing is sent to the student accounts at the end of a semester, if the per student amount reaches $2.00 or more.  In the event it does not, the charges will carry forward and add to spring semester’s amount.


Students who accidentally break something in a common area will not get in trouble if they report their responsibility and accept financial costs of repair/replacement. 

Deposit For a Room:

  • A $200.00 room deposit is required of every resident. This deposit will remain on the student’s account during their residence period.
  • Regular deductions occur related to room damage.
  • Common area damages will be initially charged to resident student accounts as they occur.
  • Upon leaving University housing a refund for the deposit balance will be issued. Any damage charges remaining on the student account will be deducted from the refund.
  • An itemized list of deductions will be available upon the student’s request.

Off Campus Houses - Grounds Management:

  • Residents are responsible for general upkeep of the grounds.
  • This includes snow and ice removal from the sidewalks and disposing of garbage in the proper designated containers, which includes moving those containers to the designated refuse pick up spot on designated garbage days, usually Monday mornings for the Logan Neighborhood.
  • The University agrees to mow the lawns, furnish water for the premises and coordinate removal of garbage through city garbage disposal.
  • The University will also maintain all structural components in good repair, all electrical, plumbing, and heating and other facilities supplied in reasonably good working order, excluding laundry appliances.
  • In addition, the University will provide a program for the control of infestation by insects, rodents and other pests. 
  • Students are responsible for managing the fire/smoke detection system in the house(s) and calling 911 when emergency response is needed.  Unlike on campus residence halls, these house alert systems DO NOT automatically notify campus security, nor emergency services.  Your assigned Residence Director can personally show you how to use your system and replace missing instruction cards, at any time, if you need.

Key Replacement:

  • Students who have lost their key(s) should contact the Office of Housing and Residence Life. The student’s request will initiate a lock(s) change, and new keys will be issued.
  • A student’s account will be charged for any lock changes as a result of a lost key(s). Fee amounts are directly related to the actual cost to the University for re- coring a door and thus are different in various residence halls across campus.
  • The University reserves the right to raise this fee during any year to keep pace with parts and labor costs.
  • Lost identification cards which also operate perimeter entry doors may have a different fee structure for the replacement of those cards, and replacement is through the Zag Card Office, located in the basement of Crosby Hall, (509-313-6506)

Lock Outs / “Key-Ins”:

  • It is the University’s expectation that students will lock their room doors and carry their keys/keycards when they are outside their room.
  • The Residence Hall Staff are instructed to utilize their master keys in the event of emergency, policy enforcement and/or official University business. For those very occasional accidental lockouts, students should begin by trying to find a Residence Life staff member to let them in.
  • After exhausting their staff options, a resident may call Campus Public Safety & Security for assistance. Residence Life staff reserve the right to assess a $10.00 per occurrence for students who abuse this key in service.

Maintenance Requests (Work Orders):

  • Students may make requests for repair or replacement of broken, deteriorating or worn-out items within their room or property by contacting the Plant Services department at (509) 313-5656 between the hours of 7:00 am and 5:30 pm, Monday through Friday (except holidays). In addition, a request can be made by emailing customerservice@gonzaga.edu. 
  • There is no charge for work done that is considered “routine” or “normal wear and tear.” Students are hereby advised that when they make a maintenance request, either directly as described above or indirectly through a residence life staff member, they are giving permission for University personnel to enter their room, unscheduled, at a reasonable time of day with proper announcement in order to fix the item mentioned. 
  • Emergency repair needs which arise after 5:00 pm weekdays, and on holidays and weekends may be requested by contacting Dispatch (509-313-2222).  However, please remember emergency repairs must be critical needs such as a backed up toilet, broken bedroom window, flood, etc. 

Modifications to Student Rooms

Electrical Equipment: 

  • It is imperative, for safety reasons, that students do not overload the electrical system. Periodic power outages do occur and we strongly recommend that students purchase surge protectors for their electronics and back up work regularly. 
  • Any “power strips” designed to allow for multiple items to be plugged into one outlet should be UL approved. Power strips that are designed to plug into both outlets on a plate at the same time are not allowed.


  • The University has bedroom furniture and loft kits that work with that particular furniture in most buildings.  We prefer you use those loft kits, which can be reserved by calling Plant Services at 509-313-5656, or reserving one through their website signup process.  These will be installed for you by Plant personnel.  Prior written permission is required for any custom loft construction.

Heating, Air Conditioning:

  • Students who feel the level of heat within their residence hall room, apartment or house is abnormally low or high should immediately contact Plant Services (509-313-5656).
  • Students may also communicate with their Residence Hall Staff member. Fire can originate from materials touching up against heating units. Thus, personal items such as clothes, notebooks, bedding, etc., as well as drapes, must be kept at least 12 inches from radiators, electric heat panel, base board heater, furnaces, and other heat producing devices.
  • Personal air conditioning units are not allowed within University residence halls, apartments and properties, except as provided or approved by the University.  Air conditioners may cause damage to window ledges and screens, and pose a safety risk if installed improperly.  The Office of Housing and Residence Life must explicitly grant any expectations to this policy.

Lighting Decorations:

  • Lighting decorations such as those devices commonly used during holiday periods are allowed only if they are Underwriter Laboratories Approved (UL Approved). A manufacturer’s tag needs to be visible on such devices as proof of such quality. With string style lighting, a maximum of three strings is allowed per wall outlet. Students are asked to allow inspection of such lighting on demand by Residence Life or other University staff. Compliance with removal of such lighting at the direction of the Residence Life staff is required.


  • Gonzaga University does not allow students to paint their rooms, houses or apartments.

Room Decoration:

  • Students must show due consideration for the room or apartment to which they have been assigned.
  • As part of their residence application/agreement, students agree to return the room to the University at the end of their stay in at least the condition in which they found it. Residents are urged to be creative in the hanging of pictures, posters, and other room decorations, such that the placement of these items does not leave permanent marks, holes, or other damage upon wall, door, or fixture surfaces. Students will be charged for any damages.

Release From Rental Agreement:

A release from University housing is a significant action and is granted only under the most unusual of circumstance. Criteria for consideration of a request for release from the Residence Life Rental Agreement include substantial, unanticipated medical, personal or financial problems arising before or after taking occupancy of your room. Personal preference related to the housing assignment will not be considered as a reason for a release. In most instances, very substantial financial penalties are applied to such a release, up to and including the entire upcoming year’s rent due, or remainder thereof. Students are encouraged to thoroughly review their Rental Agreement on line as they are applying for on campus housing and may receive a copy of that document upon request from the housing office. Should you wish to explore such a release, you can find the appropriate document on the Housing and Residence Life portion of the Gonzaga University website.

Room Change Procedure:

  • The room change process is designed to allow students some control over their living situation. The first priority in all living situations, however, is to work with students to affect change in their current room and community. Room changes are time consuming for everyone and should be a last option. Any room change impacts many people, including the community of the hall from which the person is leaving and the community the person is joining.
  • Room changes are limited to certain periods each semester. They may be initiated at or after the following periods of the semester:
    • October 1st (approximately 4 weeks after the beginning of fall semester).
    • Beginning the Friday of the first full week of spring semester.
  • If your roommate moves out, expect another roommate to be assigned by the Housing Office at some point during the academic year.  We have international students arriving mid semester, every semester.  In addition, other continuing GU students are also looking to move to vacancies.  Your responsibility is to keep the vacant side of your room clear and ready for occupancy, including closet, drawers, desk, and bed.  You will be charged a fee for the labor of moving your belongings to your side of the room if you have not already done so and a new incoming student checks in.

Facility Occupancy Management Processes

The University reserves the right:

  • To consolidate students in living quarters which are only partially full, even if it means moving a student from one apartment or suite to another, when that effort will assist the university in meeting continuing housing demand.
  • To assign a student arriving to GU, or one already here who needs a new location, to any empty bed in any residence facility.  This also includes empty beds in double bedrooms inside apartment facilities.
    • Roommates receiving a new student to their bedroom will be given direct contact information regarding the student moving in.
    • Suitemates or Apartment mates are not entitled to an opinion or to resist this effort, yet are entitled to advanced notice via Zagmail of the student's new assignment to their living unit.
    • To facilitate room swapping on-line and monitor that activity and intervene with any student who resists the incoming student request for a vacancy in a living unit, unless the empty bed in question has been purchased via a "premium single upgrade" well in advance of the inquiry.
  • Premium Single Upgrades
    • Students with an empty bed in their double room upon fall "check in" have two weeks or upon spring "check in" have one week to notify the Department of Housing and Residence Life they wish to upgrade to a premium single.  After that period of time, a premium single is not available and the student must accept a student moving to that space from another, or a new student arriving to GU.
      • Occupants are expected to be "gracious" to students needing or being assigned a new space, regardless of circumstance.  Zags help Zags!
    • Students in their double room whose roommate moves out because of a room change have 3 business days to request a premium single upgrade.  If a student's roommate is leaving to study abroad or departing the university at the end of the fall semester, they have until the last class day of fall semester to request a premium single upgrade.  After that period of time, a premium single is not available and the student must accept a student moving to that space from another, or a new student arriving at GU.
    • In group living quarters, there is an enhanced expectation for graciousness, due to the very nature of sharing space with more than once student, and we reserve the right to reassign any resident(s) who create a hostile environment for one or more residents sharing the space.  See clause #18 in your Rental Agreement supporting such an action.
      • In extreme cases, this reassignment could even take the form of a revocation of permission to live in on campus property and any residence requirement associated with the student.

Residential Facilities Services

Cable TV:

Cable service is provided to each residence hall room. Through one room hook-up, students receive basic expanded cable service. Premium channels or special packages are not possible using the campus television system. If there is a problem noticed in reception or with certain expected channels, students are encouraged to call the information technology department at 509-313-3836 to report this.

Courtesy Phones:

Each residence hall is equipped with an outside courtesy phone. Guests of students should call their residence hall host in order to gain access to a residence hall. Please do not prop open building access doors in anticipation of a visit from a friend. Instruct your guest to call you at the door, using either the courtesy phone or their cell phone when s/he arrives.


  • Laundry facilities are available in each on-campus residential facility, off campus Gonzaga owned apartment complexes, and University managed houses. The University rents the machines from a Spokane company, which is responsible for maintenance. The Housing and Residence Life Office manages the machines and coordinates needs with this company. The cost of providing laundry facilities and the utilities that service them is included in the semester room charge, thereby eliminating the necessity for a coin-operated system. Students must provide their own laundry detergent and other supplies. In some halls, laundry time is allocated according to a laundry schedule, coordinated by the Residence Hall Staff member.
  • Washing machines and dryers are for resident use only. Please remember that the University does not promise security for your laundry, nor reimburse you for losses due to theft. We strongly suggest you:
    • never leave your laundry unattended
    • share in watching for the security of your area’s laundry
    • secure Renter’s Insurance which can reimburse you for losses (more information available on the housing website)
  • Please report any needed repair immediately to the Housing and Residence Life Office at 509-313-4103. Feel free to leave a detailed message after hours. Please be specific about the location (building/floor/wing) and the machine type (washer/dryer) and number. 

Storage - Bicycles: There are a variety of bicycle parking options associated with housing facilities: stand alone bike lockers, secured shipping containers with code access, bike cages in covered parking areas, open racks around the perimeter of residence halls and sometimes in lounge spaces inside, code access bike storage rooms accessed from outside the building(s), dedicated bike storage rooms inside residence halls, etc.  Access to secured storage areas (lockers, containers, cages, locked rooms) can be obtained from the Dept. of Housing and Residence Life office in Crosby, free of charge!  Bicycles left behind after a residence hall closes for the year will be deemed abandoned, collected and donated to charity.  So please remember your bike when you move back home for the summer.

Bike Theft: The University is not responsible for loss or damage related to bicycle storage, regardless of how secure you believe the storage area is/was. The majority of bike theft at GU is accomplished on bicycles secured by “cable” locks. Please use a U-bolt type bike lock (available from Campus Public Safety and Security for less cost than stores!) to protect your bike as they are the best deterrent to theft.  In addition, the Campus Security office encourages you to register your bicycle with them for free.  A Spokane database of registered bicycles exists which helps the police return stolen bikes to owners throughout Spokane! 

Storage - Personal belongings: The University does not allow storage of student belongings between academic years. The Office of Housing and Residence Life can provide you with a list of off-site storage companies in the nearby area. Such a list is also a normal part of our closing newsletter to each resident in the late spring. Items are not permitted to be stored in residence hall common areas.

Student Lounges:

Within most residence halls there are multiple lounges, created to provide space for all residents to visit and study. Billiard tables and similar recreational equipment and televisions are provided in some lounges. These common areas provide a place for guests to visit outside a student’s room. The housing department purchases, repairs, manages all common area furniture and recreation equipment, so please report repair/replacement needs to the housing office at extension 4103.  It is important that all persons remember that these areas are available for the use of all members of the residence hall community. Behaviors that might be offensive or inappropriate, such as hosting an overnight guest in the lounge, are not permitted. Most residence halls have a common area convenience kitchen for residents’ use. The cleaning of sinks, ovens and refrigerators is the responsibility of the residents. Kitchen utensils, pots and pans, when provided, are also the responsibility of the residents to clean. Personal kitchen supplies should be kept clean and in residents’ own care.  Refrigerators should be kept clean and storage is at your own risk.  The department of housing will supply dish soap/dishwasher soap to these common area kitchens.  If yours is ‘out’ please call housing at campus extension 4103.  In lounges set aside for quiet study, it is expected that study groups use other locations if individuals are using the room for study. It is also considered a violation of “24 Hour Courtesy Policy” to disturb others in the room trying to study.

Telephone Service And Voice Mail:

A telephone line is provided to each student room. This is primarily a piece of equipment we ask you keep stored in the room ready to deploy in case of emergency. In the event of a real emergency that knocks out city telephone lines and cell phone towers, the University has a standalone system of emergency communication via plugging this phone into the wall. We have our own switchboard and mostly underground lines that provide a standalone system of communication so we can manage the emergencies impact on our campus and keep you informed.  As a “side” benefit, you are also welcome to use this as a landline all year long. More information about that can be found in the Plant and Construction Services part of the Gonzaga University website.

Vending Machines:

The University maintains contracts with local vending companies. For beverage vending, your student ID card can be ‘swiped’ to dispense product if you have bulldog bucks on your card.  If you experience a problem with any vending machine or the product dispensed from it, please refer to the instructions usually on the machine to report the malfunction.


ZagWeb is Gonzaga’s student network. As a user of ZagWeb, you have both wired and wireless high-speed access to campus computing resources, the Internet, and e-mail. You also have a technical support team to assist you with using ZagWeb should you encounter problems. ZagWeb alleviates the need to use a modem. For information on how to connect to ZagWeb, call the Help Desk at extension 5550. Please remember we have an Acceptable Use Policy. Please take the time to be an informed user of this important service by reading that policy.

Plant vs. Housing Responsibilities

The Department of Housing and Residence Life collaborates with the Department of Plant and Construction Services to manage the ‘facilities’ in which students live, both on campus and off campus.  It is important to note that these two departments are collegial with each other and cooperative, yet have distinct functions and responsibilities in relation to the facility in which you live.

Plant and Construction Services Responsibilities

  • All bedroom furniture, style, repairs, etc.

  • Common area furniture inside apartments, both on and off campus

  • All facility ‘repairs’ (work orders) customerservice@gonzaga.edu

  • Heating, Ventilation, Hot water, plumbing systems

  • All restroom facilities and equipment

  • Cleaning common areas and restroom/shower facilities

  • The grounds around the buildings

  • Carpeting, flooring, ceilings, walls, doors, fire systems

  • Locksmiths- rekey requests

  • Loft Kits- installation/removal

  • Card Access software maintenance/troubleshooting

  • Residence hall improvements or remodeling

 Housing and Residence Life Services

  • Recreation room equipment and supplies

  • Common area lounge furnishings and kitchen area soft supplies

    • Soaps

    • Some kitchen supply in newer residence facilities

  • Laundry facilities and functionality (partnered with a company in town to manage)

  • Bike cages, bike lockers, bike racks supplying residence areas

  • Services to residents and community development through the efforts of Res. Assistants, Res. Directors, Grad. Res. Directors, Assistant Directors of Residence Life, and a Director of Residence Life.

    • Conflict interventions

    • Processing and assigning damage charges to student accounts

    • Program design/support

    • Living/Learning community development

    • After hours emergency response

    • Safety checks in late evening hours

    • Conduct interventions

  • Directly responsible for which buildings are in use and for which category of student

  • Renting and managing off campus houses and apartments, inclusive of collecting rent directly

  • Receiving requests to replace lost keys- transmitting request to Plant