When and where is Justice in January?Justice in January (JIJ) will be at two sites for the academic year of 2017-2018: Tucson & Nogales, AZ and San Diego, CA.
The dates for the trip are: January 7th-14th.
When do I register?
Registration is currently closed. The program is full for the 2017-2018 school year.
How much does Justice in January cost?
The total cost of the trip is $775.
The registration fee is $150.
Through a combination of fundraising and/or personal contributions, $625.00 will be due in two installments during the fall semester.
- Installment of $300 due November 3rd
- Installment of $325 due December 1st
- Remaining Balance due December 8th
We will provide you with tools to fund raise for your trip. Students will be responsible for the following before the trip: passport, medical exam, and transportation to JIJ site (return ticket to Spokane is included in the program costs).
What does the price of the trip include?
The price of the trip includes:
- A Retreat
- Van Rental
- Return flight only to Spokane
What do we do at each site?The focus of the San Diego and Tucson sites is immigration. During the immersion trip we will learn more about ourselves, our JIJ group and the community in which we serve. In the border cities of San Diego and Tucson we hope to get a holistic view of the immigration issue.
We plan to work with children and education in San Diego, as well as with migrant families and adults in Tucson. More particularly, we hope to include a border tour, trial hearing, and learn from the stories of newly arrived immigrants.
How is JIJ different than Mission: Possible?
- JIJ is over Winter Break, and is a day shorter than the Spring break trips
- The cost of JIJ includes a retreat
- JIJ is based on the Social Change Model: focusing on gaining a better understanding of self, our JIJ group and the community we will serve
- JIJ is focused on the issue of Immigration. You will get the opportunity to better understand the issues about immigration before you head to your site.
Can we do more than one Immersion Trip?Yes you can. Since Justice in January is at the end of Christmas break and Mission Possible are in the Spring it is possible to do more than one trip. You will still need to fund raise for each trip, and pay the $150 registration per trip.
What is the timeline of JIJ?After Signing Up: Register for SOSJ 280
Early-October: Welcome meeting
Mid-October: Fundraising kickoff
End of Nov-December: Meet with leaders and group members
End of Winter Break: January 7-14, Justice in January!