- J.D. Yale Law School, 1979, Phi Beta Kappa
- B.A. Stanford University, 1971
Law clerk for Justice Stephen Bistline, Idaho Supreme Court, 1979-80; in private practice with Lukins & Annis, P.S., Spokane, (1980-84); assistant professor, Oklahoma City University (1984-87); Senior Fellow, Discovery Institute, Seattle, Washington.
- Review of the book, The Forgotten Founders On Religion And Public Life, by Dreisbach et al., 52 Am. J. Legal Hist. 221 (2012)
- The Washington Supreme Court And The State Constitution: A 2010 Assessment, with Michael Bindas, Seth Cooper and Michael J. Reitz, 46 Gonz. L. Rev. 1 (2010-11)
- Don’t Compel Health Providers to Violate Their Consciences, Tacoma News-Tribune, December 27, 2011
- The “Teach The Controversy” Controversy, 4 U. St. Thomas J. L. & Pub. Pol’y 326 (2009)
- The State of the Washington Supreme Court: A 2008 Update,published by the Federalist Society.
- 2008-2009 Revisions of Four Volumes of the Washington Practice Series
- Review of the book, Ten Tortured Words, by Stephen Mansfield, Denver University Law Review (2007)
- The View From Washington, Lawdragon.com article. September 10, 2007
- Quoted in the article Democrats Shift Approach on Abortion,In the Los Angeles Times, July 26, 2007
- Intelligent Design Will Survive Kitzmiller v. Dover, 68 Montana Law Review 7 (2007).
- Rebuttal to Irons, 68 Montana Law Review 89 (2007).
- The Rightful Status of Intelligent Design, (co-authored with Randall Wegner), Philadelphia Inquirer, October 18, 2005.
- Teaching Harbeson, Journal of Legal Education, December 2004
- Teaching the Origins of Controversy: Science, or Religion, or Speech? (with Stephen C. Meyer and Mark DeForrest), 2000 Utah L. Rev. 39 (2000)
- Academic Freedom After Edwards, published in 13 Regent University Law Review 447 (2001)
- Review of The Catholic University as Promise and Project: Reflections in a Jesuit Idiom, by Michael J. Buckley, published in 16 J. Law and Religion 423 (2001)
- Washington Tort Law & Practice (with Keller W. Allen), West Publishing, 2d ed. 2000 (annual pocket part).
- Washington Contract Law & Practice (with Keller W. Allen and Darlene Barrier), West Publishing, (1998) (annual pocket part)
- Cases and Materials on the Law of Torts, Lupus Publications, 1993
- Liability for Product Manufacturers in Washington: When is Strict Liability Appropriate?, 27 Gonz. L. Rev. 217 (1991-92)
- Comparative Contribution Statutes and the Effect of Settlement on Claim Reduction, 23 Gonz. L. Rev. 37 (1987/88)
- Assumption of Risk and Abnormally Dangerous Activities: A Proposal, (with Deborah G. Hander), 51 Mont. L. Rev. 161 (1990)
- State Action Under the Religion Clauses: Neutral in Result or Neutral in Treatment?, 24 U. Richmond L. Rev. 253 (1990)
- Book Review / Essay (reviewing Laurence Tribe, Abortion: The Clash of Absolutes), 26 Gonz. L. Rev. 257 (1990/91)
- Fetal Position: The Pro-life Majority in Congress has a Unique Opportunity to Adopt Sensible Limits on Elective Abortion, National Review, March 20, 1995 (with Stephen C. Meyer)
- A Pro-Life Case for the Daschle Bill, Wall Street Journal, June 6, 1997 (with Stephen C. Meyer)
- Spoke to the National Litigation Academy for the Alliance Defense Fund, Half Moon Bay, Calif., July 2008
- Criminal Law
- First Amendment