Gonzaga in Delft
“Students will be looking at transportation system design, water management, water and wastewater treatment, food production, and coastal protection infrastructure” - Rhonda Young, Civil Engineering Chair and Professor
Gonzaga in Delft Blog
Sustainable Cities Course Begins For Gonzaga in Delft
The Gonzaga in Delft: Sustainable Cities course kicked off in Delft, Netherlands.
Sand and Sea in Delft
Gonzaga in Delft students biked 50-kilometers round trip to see the Maeslant barriers and the...
GU in Delft Student Trip to Amersfoort and Utrecht
Students traveled from Delft to Amersfoort, Netherlands, via connecting trains through Utrecht and...
Delft Trip to The Hague and Workshop on Circular Economy
The students learned the concept of a circular economy and how it is related to sustainability.
The Gonzaga in Delft students were tasked by the City of Spokane’s Sustainability Action Committee to report on strategies they found in the Netherlands that could be used by the City to meet the goals of the Sustainability Action Plan (SAP) that was adopted in 2021. The presentation and reports on this page were prepared by the students for the City of Spokane. The various strategies reported on are organized by the main areas of action in the plan: Buildings and Energy, Transportation, Waste Diversion and Material Conservation, and Water Resources. Watch the 2022 presentation below.
Buildings & Energy Strategies
- Reimagining Existing Buildings, Blake Beckwith
- Green Roofs and Facades, Jack Wilson
- Innovation Hub for Sustainable Development, Jackson Carroll
- Modular Construction, Joe O’Hagan
Transportation & Land Use
- Land Use that Encourages Active Transportation, Alex Macias
- Safe Active Transportation, Esme Nelson
- Transportation and Land Use, Marco Navarro
- Expansion of Bicycle Facilities, Matthew Hoffman
- Optimizing Transportation and Land Use, Rory McCarthy
- Sustainable Transportation System, Thomas Roth
Waste Diversion & Material Conservation
- Compostable Products, Alan Champagne
- Waste Diversion, Jem Pedicord
- Circular Economy, Joie Reyes
- Waste Education, Ryan Cooper
- Green Roofs and Walls, Antonio Roman Campos
- Room for the River, Elizabeth Cobb
- Water Conservation, Sam Novack
- Water Squares for Stormwater Runoff, Sarah Simmons