When does FYI take place?
The next Francis Youth Institute will take place in summer 2019.
Where do students stay?
All FYI participants reside in Gonzaga University residence halls for the week. These facilities are secured and monitored.
Are meals provided?
All meals are provided. All FYI participants will receive a meal plan that allows them to use Gonzaga University dining facilities.
Who is eligible to participate in FYI?
All FYI participants must be entering their junior or senior years of high school.
Are students chaperoned and safe?
All FYI participants are assigned to small groups led by a Gonzaga students who act as chaperones for the week. The program co-directors, regular summer residence life staff, and Gonzaga University security are available during FYI in case of emergencies.
How much does FYI cost?
Thanks to the support of the Lily Endowment and Gonzaga University, students pay $325 for tuition, room and board for summer 2018. Partial and full scholarships are available. Please contact FYI co-director Dr. Joseph Mudd by email or phone at (509) 313-6799 for more information.
Is there a registration fee?
Participants pay a $50 non-refundable deposit at the time of registration.
What will the students be doing during FYI?
- Exploring theology and spirituality with Gonzaga University faculty on such topics as Creation, Sacramentality, Missionary Discipleship, Human Dignity and Catholic Social Teaching, and Ignatian Spirituality
- Sharing faith in small group conversations led by Gonzaga students
- Discerning what God is calling them to do with their lives
- Celebrating the liturgy and praying together
- Making a pilgrimage to the Sacred Heart Mission in Cataldo, ID
- Learning to work in teams and exercise effective peer leadership
- Hiking in the mountains around Spokane
- Rafting the Spokane River
- Working with Spokane Catholic Charities
- Making lasting friendships