College of Arts and Sciences
Department of Modern Languages & Literature
Degrees: B.A. in French and B.A. in Spanish
The Modern Languages & Literature major will:
- Communicate orally entirely in target language in both everyday and professional/academic settings with a high degree of phonetic, syntactic and semantic accuracy ACTFL advanced level).
- Comprehend complex information provided orally at the normal conversational tempo of a native speaker (ACTFL advanced level).
- Write with proficiency to contrast, criticize, analyze, defend opinions, and advance and support a thesis (ACTFL advanced level).
- Comprehend and interpret challenging and diverse reading material in the target language (ACTFL advanced level).
- Demonstrate insightful and complex understanding of the target language culture(s) and function comfortably in a wide range of social situations in the target language environment(s)
* ACTFL refers to the “American Council on the Teaching Foreign Languages” Proficiency Guidelines.