Resources for Life After Environmental Studies at Gonzaga
Please use this page as a starting point for exploring environmental studies careers. Below are a host of on and off-site career planning resources. Don't underestimate the importance of getting some hands-on experience, which will help you pinpoint your interest in a certain area of environmental studies, and will often be your means of securing further education or employment.
Gonzaga Career Center
5 Great Reasons for Environmental Studies Majors to go to the Career Center & GAMP Office in Crosby Student Center
- Opportunities: Are you looking for an internship or job? Check out the possibilities for Environmental Studies Majors in the widget at the bottom of this page. You can also sign up for Handshake on the career services page.
- Connections: Sign up for GAMP (Gonzaga Alumni Mentor Program) to access the network of over 2,400 mentors some of whom are working in fields related to Environmental Studies.Sign up on-line at: GAMP Signup and then register for an orientation. When signing up, designate the environmental field of interest and/or in the geographical area you prefer to work.
- Outreach: The Career Center is committed to identifying and building relationships with key constituents for the purpose of creating internship and job opportunities for students in Environmental Studies. Work with us by letting us know who you hope to work for so we can reach out and build a strong University relationship with the organization.
- Networking: Did you know that 65% of jobs are found through the "hidden job market"? Let us assist you with the keys to effective networking.
- Training: Receive hands on training on all aspects of your professional preparation: Résumé and Cover Letter Development, Interview Preparation, Internship & Job Search, and Building Your Network. We meet students where they are in their career development journey towards an Environmental oriented career.
Visit the Career Center at this link to explore opportunities.
Contact the Career Center/GAMP by phone at 509-313-4234 or email email@example.com.
Are you interested in finding a summer internship?
- Student Conservation Association (SCA) - the premier national organization for placing students into internships
- Green Corps - One year paid training programs
Are you still exploring?
The My Next Move website may help you clarify what you want your future career to be.
These 1-2 year postgraduate programs have provided excellent opportunities to dozens of Gonzaga students. Did you know that Gonzaga is #1 in the United States in Peace Corps participation among small colleges and universities?!
- Jesuit Volunteer Corps
- Peace Corps
- Teach for America
- Environmental Career Opportunities
- Sustainable Industries
Where have Environmental Studies grads gone after graduation?
Gonzaga's Environmental Studies Major is only five years old as of 2013 but we have already placed students into a wide area of graduate, governmental, and environmental positions. Below is a sampling of some of the career opportunities recent ENVS grads have chosen to pursue:
Graduate and Law Schools
Alaska Pacific University, Environmental Science
Oregon State University, Environmental Science
Oregon State University, Public Policy/Environmental Policy
Texas A&M University, Behavioral Ecology
University of California Irvine, Evolutionary Biology, Ph.D.
University of Kentucky, Entomology, Ph.D.
University of Washington, Evans School of Public Affairs
University of Washington, School of Law
City of Salem, OR
Colorado Parks and Wildlife
Fair Trade, USA
Minnesota Department of Natural Resources
Spokane County Department of Natural Resources
Washington State Department of Ecology
Bay Area Climate Corps, San Francisco, California
Catalina Island Marine Institute
Catholic Charities of Spokane Vinegar Flats Community Farm
Friends of Cedar River Watershed, Seattle, Washington
Northwest Earth Institute, Portland, Oregon
Northwestern Energy, Bozeman, Montana
University of Idaho, Lab Researcher
Upper Columbia United Tribes, Biological Field Technician, Washington