The world needs biology teachers who can:
- Help future generations to understand and value our natural resources;
- Give young people the tools to navigate in our scientific world;
- Show students that biology is not a collection of textbook facts but a dynamic process;
- Help students to discover how living organisms work;
- MAKE A DIFFERENCE!
- It is fun and never boring! Students are spontaneous.
- It is rewarding! Watch those "light bulbs come on".
- It is challenging! Motivate the uninterested.
- Schools are experiencing a shortage of science and math teachers (see online Recruiting New Teachers, Inc.) - fill that shortage.
- Choose where you want to live - given the shortage of science and math teachers, you can be selective with your job choices.
- Avoid hefty school loans that will accrue with medical school or graduate school.
- Choose a science career that maintains reasonable hours (i.e., not in the office from 6:30 am to 7:30 pm, including most weekends - well, only during the science fair and some weekends).
- Teach because you are READY TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE!
If you are a motivated biology student with an interest in young people, then please contact Dr. Julie Beckstead, HU 213. We can help you start down the path to a rewarding teaching career.
A. University coursework for biology teachers
- Biology major: BA or BS in Biology with completion of teacher certification (most students find a BA is most compatible with education courses).
- Biology major: BA or BS in Biology and then pursue a 5th year in a program to receive your teaching certification for a Masters Program.
- Education courses: see education advisor Dr. John Traynor.
- Other specifics: BIOL 304 (TA) required; options for Biology teaching endorsement and General Science teaching endorsement.
B. Teaching Resources (just a few of many)
- Association for Biology Laboratory Education
- National Association of Biology Teachers
- Understanding Evolution
- American Physiological Society's K-12 Outreach Kit for Researchers
- The American Institute of Biology Sciences
- PBS Teacher Source
- The National Center for Science Education: Defending the Teaching of Evolution in Public Schools
- Botanical Society of America: SIP: Scientific Inquiry through Plants
- Genetics Science Learning Center