Sponsored Research and Programs Office
Mission Statement for Sponsored Research and Programs
The mission of the Office of Sponsored Research and Programs is to provide faculty and staff members with the support and resources needed to fund their creative, scholarly, service, and research efforts.* The office also protects the interests of the University, departments, and faculty and staff members by ensuring compliance with sponsor rules and regulations. Our goal is to bring success to the University by securing external funding to provide more opportunities for faculty, staff, and students.**
Whether you are seeking public (government) or private (foundation/corporate) funding, your initial contact will be with our office. Please contact Joann Waite to start the process.
* We welcome working with G.U. faculty and staff anywhere in the world, and have worked with faculty members in the Amazon, Russia, and Africa as well as on the G.U. campus in Spokane.
** During the 2009-10 academic year, 3,433 G.U. students, or nearly 45% of the student population, were involved in grant-funded activities. "A Compilation of Sponsored Projects at Gonzaga University" is available through the Sponsored Research Office.
Our office also oversees:
- G.U.'s Internal Approval Document (IAD) process (flowchart)
- Projects involving human participation
- Institutional Review Board (IRB)
- Projects involving animal studies
- Scholarly integrity; research misconduct
- Conflict of Interest; Financial Conflict of Interest (please see Research Policies and Processes link below)
- Responsible Conduct of Research training
- Project budget development, cost sharing, and in-kind contributions (flowchart)
- Proposal document processing (flowchart)
- Award and contract negotiations; award/denial processing (flowchart)
- Hiring grant-funded employees
- Faculty Incentive Program and how to use it
- Post-award finances and reports (flowchart)
What is a sponsored project?
Sponsored projects are research or educational projects undertaken in the name of Gonzaga University that are supported by sources external to the University. Projects may be supported with funding, materials, exchanges of in-kind efforts, or other types of compensation. Sponsors include federal, state, and other governmental entities, corporations, and private foundations.