Summers in Spokane!
Spokane Summers are awesome! Check out some events and things to do in the Inland Northwest.
The Great Outdoors
Spokane's motto is "Near Nature; Near Perfect" for a reason. Check out these activities and adventures:
- The Centennial Trail is great for biking, running, or just taking a stroll next to the Spokane River. It runs from Sontag Park through downtown and on to Coeur D'Alene.
- Spokane Parks & Recreation manages many parks throughout the Spokane area. Be sure to check out Riverfront Park and Mission Park--both are close to campus!
- Spokane Outdoors is a great resource for learning where to kayak, raft, mountain bike, and do just about anything else active and outdoors.
- Gonzaga Outdoors is a great way to get involved with other GU students for day and weekend trips. Be sure to check out Morning Mail for outdoor updates.
Arts & Entertainment
Are you more interested in a night on the town? Here are a few options that are unique to Spokane:
- First Friday Art Walks take place on the first Friday of each month. Local artists display pieces in a variety of locations downtown. Grab a glass of wine and enjoy the evening!
- The Garland Theater is an art deco style theater that shows recently released movies at a major discount. Every once in a while, the theater shows throwback movies like the Karate Kid and the Rocky Horror Picture Show. The Garland is a MUST for any movie-lovers!
- The Fox is a beautiful theater in downtown Spokane. Be sure to get tickets to the Spokane Symphony. And it's only a mile walk from campus!
Whether you need the basics or just want to splurge, Spokane has some great places for you to get the goods:
- River Park Square is Spokane's downtown shopping mall. In addition to department stores and specialty shops, there is a 20-screen movie theater!
- The Main Market is a co-op in downtown Spokane that specializes in local and organic produce. Buy a membership and get discounts on great, fresh food!
- Safeway is the closest grocery store to campus. Located at the corner of Mission and Hamilton, it is an easy place to stop for kitchen basics or a late-night snack!
What are we missing?
As someone who may be new to Spokane or just visiting, you may not know where other basics are located or where to go for other activities. Please contact us directly if you have questions or are looking for something specific. We would love to help you find those things that are important to you.