How do I know who purchases what?
The Purchasing Department has three buyers who are assigned to specific commodities. See the Commodity Split chart for the breakdown.
- Complete Banner Navigation and Finance Training - sign up at www.gonzaga.edu/gutraining - and submit your access form to Laurie Hanlon in ITS (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Have your Budget Officer email Linda Wilson in the Controller's Office (email@example.com) and include the funds and organization codes they would like you to have access to
- Linda will review the request and notify Lorrie Engle in University Purchasing (firstname.lastname@example.org) that you are ready for on-line requisition training
- On-line Requisition Training will take place with either Lorrie Engle or Megan Self at 1004 N Ruby Lane, taking about 30 minutes
- Form Access may take up to 24 hours after you've completed step 4
What is a Standing (Blanket) Purchase Order?
A Standing Purchase Order should be used when you anticipate several small purchases throughout the fiscal year with the same vendor. The Purchase Order will have no units, just a dollar amount, that estimates the expected use during the Fiscal Year. It is the department's responsibility to monitor the standing purchase order using Banner form FGIENCD. If the dollar amount needs to be increased, the department should contact the appropriate buyer to request a change order and have them increase the dollars to cover additional expenses for the fiscal year.
What is a Change Order
A Change Order is created by the Purchasing Department per the request of the department when a modification is needed to the original purchase request (i.e.: freight line is added). A Department can note a change on the green copy of the Purchase Order prior to returning to the purchasing department, or contact the appropriate buyer via phone or email.
How do I know if Purchasing paid my requisition with a University Credit Card?
Online Requisitions: The person who will receive the product will get a confirmation email showing the order was placed with a credit card. They can confirm this by going to FOIDOCH. Type REQ for Document Text and the requisition number starting with R in the Document Code and Ctrl+PageDown. Click Options -> Requisition Info and Ctrl+PageDown. You will see a Cancel Reason Code and description. For additional information, click Options -> Document Text and Ctrl+PageDown. Once a month, a Journal Entry will be processed with the Requisition Number and company name in the item description recharging your fund. The cost will include all tax and shipping charges related to the order.
Paper Requisitions: The person who will receive the product will get a confirmation email showing the order was placed with a credit card. Once a month, a Journal Entry will be processed with the Requisition Number and company name in the item description recharging your fund. The cost will include all tax and shipping charges related to the order.
For more information on using FOIDOCH, click here.
What do I do if I only received a partial shipment of my order?
If the packing list indicated a partial shipment, make a copy of the receiving (green) copy, and note on that copy the specific items received by circling those items. Sign and date the copy and send it to University Purchasing at AD Box 81. This will allow for partial payments on the purchase order. When the balance of the order is received, sign and date the receiving (green) copy of the purchase order and return it to University Purchasing at AD Box 81. See Section 11 of the Purchasing & Finance Manual for more information on receiving.
What do I do if I lost the Sign and Return to Purchasing copy of the Purchase Order?
If the Sign and Return to Purchasing copy has been misplaced, and the goods have been received, make a copy of the Department copy and on the bottom of the Purchase Order write "In lieu of Sign and Return to Purchasing copy." You do not want to hold up payment of the goods even if the Sign and Return to Purchasing copy is lost.
How do I cancel a Purchase Order?
If you want to cancel a purchase order you write the word "cancel" on the green copy, sign it, and forward it to Purchasing. When Purchasing gets the copy they will cancel the purchase order in Banner if no other activity has been done on it. If you call Purchasing to cancel a purchase order, they can do it right away in Banner, but you still need to sign the green copy with the word "cancel" on it and return it to University Purchasing at AD Box 81.
How do I cancel a check?
If you need to cancel or void a check, call Nancy Grasso in Accounts Payable at extension 6807. She will need you to provide the check number, payee, date of issue, and amount of check. See Section 12 of the Purchasing & Finance Manual to view the process of checking in Banner to see if the check has cleared the bank.
How do I purchase professional services?
Professional services are defined as being primarily intellectual in nature. Competition for professional services is not required for services costing less than $25,000 including all associated costs and any responsibility anticipated extensions. The final product is usually a report or some other tangible result of their intellectual effort. A purchase order for professional services provided by a business must include all costs associated with the project including travel, hotel, per diem, associate costs and expenses. A payment to an individual for professional services should have reimbursable expenses on a separate payment voucher. When contemplating the need for professional services contact the Purchasing Department. A W-9 is required.
Buy, Lease, or Finance equipment - which is best?
This depends on your circumstances, the item to be acquired, and securing the required approval. The following guidelines may help you decide:
this is an outright purchase (cash to seller)
It is the standard practice
It requires that you have funds available for payment upon receipt and acceptance of the equipment
The University take title to the equipment at this point
- The decision to lease rather than purchase must be approved by the Controller
- A lease is a fee for use of equipment
- Responsibility for maintenance, upgrades, etc. may vary, but tend to remain with the lessor
- At the end of the lease period the equipment is transferred to the lessor
- The title does not transfer to the University
- We have no rights to sell, trade-in, or surplus
- Sometimes the lease will include a buy out option that may be exercised at the end of the lease period. However, the buy-out decision is made only at the end of the lease, no commitment is made at the outset
Lease to Own or Lease/Purchasing
- The Controller must approve this type of lease
- Establish up front that the title will pass to the University at the end of the lease period
- May or may not be a buy-out payment at the end
- Lease fees actually amount to be as advantageous as other refinancing agreements available to the University
- Prior to making a decision of this nature, the department should confer with he Director of University Purchasing and/or Controller
Gonzaga University has an office supply contract with Office Depot. To order office supplies online, you must either be a budget officer or have written permission from the budget officer to order supplies. If necessary, please fill out the authorization for purchase of office supplies. Send the completed form to University Purchasing at email@example.com. if you have any questions, contact JoAnne Bruce at extension 5953. She can provide you with password access to Office Depot and training to place orders.
How can I get a copy of our Office Depot contract pricing?
log in to http://business.officedepot.com and review the Bulletin Board for a shopping list of our contracted items. If you do not have access to this website, contact JoAnne Bruce at extension 5953 for additional assistance.
What supplies do we have on-campus I can purchase?
University Purchasing is able to buy some supplies in bulk and pass the savings onto the department. Some of the items available are:
- Copy paper, white
- Batteries (AA, AAA, C, D, 9V)
- Clorox wipes
- Facial tissue
- Kitchen towels
- Light bulbs
- Dish soap
- Hand sanitizer
To order any of these items, email firstname.lastname@example.org with your budget number, items requested, and location to have them delivered.
How should I order toner or ink for my printer?
Purchasing has a large inventory of toner cartridges. Fill out a purchase requisition and send it to email@example.com or AD Box 81 and the items will be delivered to you.
Where can I recycle my used batteries on campus?
The University has disposal sites set up throughout the campus for used batteries. Located in the following locations are orange buckets marked Battery Recycle that are picked up and recycled properly:
- Business Service Center - 1st floor center of hall
- College Hall - by elevator on lower level, 1st and 2nd floors
- Crosby Student Center - North entrance
- Foley Center - faculty break room (301) and by main entrance
- Health Center - lower level by side door
- Honors - North entrance next to printer
- Hughes - West entrance 1st floor
- Jepson - East main entrance
- Law School - by elevator on lower level, 1st and 2nd floors and loading dock
- Martin Center - North entrance on 3rd floor
- McCarthey Center - Club Room storage
- Music Mansion - hall by 1st floor restroom
- PACCAR - elevators
- Plant Services - break room
- Rosauer Center (SOE) - North entrance
- Robinson - lower level recycling room
- Tilford - South main entrance
- Women Studies - back entrance
If you have a large volume that will not fit in these buckets, please put a work order in with Customer Service (firstname.lastname@example.org) to have them picked up.
How does the University deal with the disposal of surplus?
University Purchasing coordinates the disposal of surplus based on the Gonzaga University Surplus Policy.
When University Purchasing receives surplus items from departments they are evaluated. The first choice is to reuse it on campus. If this is possible we will list the items available on the University Purchasing Surplus site. The items are available for on-campus use only. Departments can contact Customer Service at extension 5656 or email@example.com and ask for the items to be delivered. Please have the item number available when requesting a Warehouse delivery work order. This page is updated often, so check back frequently.
If the surplus item is not reusable on campus we will consider donating it to a local charity. If you have a Non-Profit Charity that would be interested in Surplus items you can email firstname.lastname@example.org and give the charity name, contact person, and the type of items they would be interested in. Charities must have the ability to pick the items up. University Purchasing maintains a list of charities and what they would like to receive.
Sometimes we have items that we would like to offer the Gonzaga Community for off-campus use only. These items will be listed on our Surplus for Sale page. You will need to log in with your University credentials. Once in the site you will see two categories: Sealed Bids and Buy It Now. The items are also available for viewing daily from 1-2. This page is updated often so check back frequently.
If you have any questions about Surplus, please contact Lorrie Engle at extension 5672.