The Career Center also offers many services and resources via phone and email if you are not locally in Spokane. Please feel free to email or call us if you would like a phone consultation. (509) 313-4234 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
1) Prepare a résumé, cover letter, and list of references
- Draft a résumé and cover letter that reflect your skills, abilities, education, and work experience that will be of interest to the employers.
- Individual appointments, resources materials, and workshops are available in the Career Center to assist you with your professional preparation.
2) Create and utilize a ZagTrax account
- Set up your account (free of charge) at: www.zagtrax.net
- Search for jobs and internships within your major and preferred geographic location.
- Create an on-line portfolio: upload your resume
,and cover letter, and scan in your letters of recommendation. Then, apply for internships and jobs posted on ZagTrax.
3) Network with faculty, alumni and colleagues to find opportunities
- Build relationships, collect information
,and ideas, and gain perspective on various professions and careers.
- Use the GAMP network to access the "hidden job market" and discover the jobs that are available but not advertised. Contacts are available in specific career fields and geographic locations.
4) Gain relevant experience
- Locate and complete an internship during the academic year or summer. All Gonzaga student should complete at least two during their college career. Applying for an internship is just like applying for a job: you will need to draft a quality resume, cover letter, and list of references, and prepare for an interview. Visit the Career Center to prepare yourself for your internship and sign up on ZagTrax to locate relevant internships.
- Job shadowing is also an excellent route to explore a variety of work settings within a limited time frame. This will help you to locate the internship site that is right for you.
- Become involved with service, community involvement, and volunteering.
5) Prepare ahead of time and practice for interviews
- Attend the Interview Preparation workshop hosted by the Career Center to practice and hone your interviewing skills.
- Sign up on ZagTrax to attend an on-campus interview/recruitment session with a desired employer.
- Send a thank you note (hand written) immediately after contact or an interview with an employer.