Drug, Alcohol, and Weapons Policies

Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act

Drug Policy

These regulations are part of the Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act. The regulations require that, as a condition for receiving federal financial assistance, an institution of higher education must certify that it has adopted and implemented a program to prevent the unlawful possession, use, or distribution of illicit drugs and alcohol by its students and employees on school premises or as part of any of its activities. Gonzaga University has adopted such a program.

Simply stated, the use of drugs at Gonzaga University is not tolerated. It is unlawful to manufacture, distribute, dispense, possess, or use a controlled substance or drug on University premises. The use by a Gonzaga student or employee of a controlled substance that is not medically authorized is strictly prohibited. Students or employees who violate the provisions of the drug-free campus policy may be subject to discipline, suspension, expulsion, or termination of employment. Violating this policy (and concurrent law) may also subject the student or employee to criminal prosecution. Legal penalties for drug violations vary depending of the amount and classification of the controlled substance. These penalties range from a mandatory court appearance to a substantial fine and/or lengthy prison sentence.

Alcohol Policy

Gonzaga University's alcohol policy has its basis in Washington State law. The University's alcohol policy is detailed elsewhere in this publication. Violations of University policy and/or applicable liquor laws may subject students or employees to discipline, suspension, expulsion, or termination of employment. Violations may also be subject to criminal prosecution. Legal penalties for liquor law violations range from a mandatory court appearance to fines and jail time.

Certain health risks are associated with the illicit use of drugs and the abuse of alcohol. Drug and alcohol abuse can affect a person's physical and emotional health, social life, and employment prospects. The hazards of abuse differ from person to person. The health risks may include: interference with memory, sensation, and perception; impairment of reaction time and motor coordination; distortion of experiences and loss of self-control; death from respiratory depression; interference with the brain's ability to take in, sort, or synthesize information; physical exhaustion; complications of intravenous injection; and fetal damage from abuse by pregnant mothers. More information about specific health risks is available at the Campus Health Center.

Gonzaga encourages students who suspect they have a substance abuse problem to seek assistance through campus resources such as the Substance Abuse Counselor (available through the Student Life office), the Campus Health Center, and the Counseling and Career Assessment Center. The University may refer students with problems beyond its means to outside rehabilitative or counseling services. Employees with substance abuse problems can access appropriate treatment through the medical insurance provided by the University.

For further information about the University's compliance with the Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act, the University's drug and alcohol policies, or related matters, please contact the Student Life office, Administration building #120, ext. 4100.

From the Gonzaga Student Handbook


1. The use of alcoholic beverages on University property must be in accordance with the laws of the State of Washington and the University policy. The following is a summary from state statutes of some important points related to the use of alcoholic beverages:

It is unlawful for any person under the age of twenty-one years to acquire or have in his/her possession or consume any liquor (alcohol, spirits, wine, and beer) except that given to him/her by his/her parents or administered by his/her physician or dentist for medicinal purposes. [This does not legalize alcohol on campus. Alcohol given to a minor by his/her parents can be possessed or consumed in the parent's household only, not on university property.] It is a violation of the State liquor laws punishable by fine or imprisonment, or both, for any person under the age of 21 years to purchase or attempt to purchase liquor. The sale of intoxicating liquor to a minor is a felony and the giving of, supplying of, or permitting the consumption of liquor by any person under the age of twenty-one, either for his own use or for the use of any other person for consumption on the premises or any premises under his control also is prohibited. The misrepresentation of age and the use of false or forged documents to obtain alcoholic beverages are punishable by a fine and/or imprisonment.

2. The University reserves the right to confiscate, retain and dispose of any and all alcohol related paraphernalia regardless of value or ownership.

3. Alcoholic beverages in university residential facilities:

The use of alcohol is forbidden in some cases and regulated in others described below.

  • Residential Facilities reserved for under division (first and second year) students
    • Students of any age and/or their guests of any age may not consume alcoholic beverages. Use, possession, distribution, sale or display of alcoholic beverages and possession of empty containers of such is forbidden.
    • Students are responsible for people around them in regard to this rule, even when visiting someone else's room/building and not consuming alcoholic beverages personally.
    • Should alcohol-related problems arise in individual rooms, students will be confronted by University officials and held accountable for their actions and the actions of those present in their room.
    • Empty containers will be considered evidence of consumption of alcoholic beverages.
  • Residential Facilities reserved for upper division (third year and above) students
    • Residents of individual rooms and apartments are responsible for ensuring that the Washington State Laws are upheld at all times with regard to alcoholic beverages
    • The possession and/or consumption of alcohol shall not infringe upon the privacy, peace, and rights of others.
    • Should alcohol-related problems arise in individual rooms, students will be confronted by University officials and held accountable for their actions and the actions of those present in their room.
    • In individual rooms, suites, or apartments in any residential facility maintained by Gonzaga University, mass quantities of alcoholic beverages are prohibited, regardless of the resident's age. This includes, but is not limited to such things as kegs, multiple cases of beer, and stocked bars.
    • Beverages must be consumed within the confines of the apartment unit and are forbidden on balconies, stairways, parking lots, grounds, patios, porches.
    • Residents are encouraged to refrain from having under aged guests over while consuming alcoholic beverages to avoid the appearance that they may be distributing such beverages to under aged people.
    • Any apartment unit or house which has an under aged resident is considered "dry" until all assigned residents are at least 21 years old. This means it will be forbidden to consume, possess, distribute, display or otherwise use alcoholic beverages and includes possession of empty containers.
    • Partying that becomes detrimental to the community is inappropriate.
  • In facilities with shared living spaces such as bathrooms, living rooms,hallways, kitchens, jointly-shared storage space, all residents with access to, or control over the shared space may be held accountable for evidence of violations of University policies.

4. On Campus Gonzaga-owned administrative or academic buildings

  • University regulations do not permit the possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages in common areas except in cases specifically approved by, and registered with, the Student Life Office, and which comply with Washington State laws.
  • Requests for special events must be reviewed and authorized by the Vice President for Student Life or his/her designee, subject to Washington State Liquor Control regulations. Individuals who sponsor special events involving the serving of alcoholic beverages must be 21 years of age and must abide by all Washington State regulations.
  • Organizations or individuals sponsoring any event at which alcoholic beverages are served or present:
    • Are responsible for enforcing University, State, and Federal regulations governing the consumption of alcoholic beverages.
    • Must arrange to serve non-alcoholic beverages and food appropriate to the occasion.
    • Must arrange for a responsible bartender to coordinate serving.
    • Must fulfill all requirements listed by the Vice President for Student Life Office.

5. Off Campus Conduct

Any student possessing, selling, distributing, purchasing, using, consuming alcoholic beverages while under the age of 21 will be assumed to have violated the State Law, and thus the alcohol policy of the University. In addition, any indication of use of false identification to purchase such will be thoroughly investigated and responded to accordingly. Response to off campus conduct may bring with it some involvement from law enforcement officials.


Violations of the alcohol policy will be enforced by the Student Life Staff, Residence Life Staff, University officials, and other members of the University community. Individuals, student groups, or organizations that violate any of the alcohol regulations will be held accountable and may lose the privilege of sponsoring future events as well as be subject to disciplinary actions by the Student Life Staff.

Students who violate Washington State laws or University regulations concerning alcohol usage can expect to attend an alcohol education class and be subject to disciplinary action in accordance with University procedures up to and including suspension or dismissal from the University.

A Substance Abuse Counselor is employed by the Division of Student Life. The Counselor is available for student appointments upon request. Also, members of the university community who are concerned about alcohol and other substance use/abuse may consult the Substance Abuse Counselor.


The illegal use of drugs at Gonzaga University is not tolerated. Disciplinary action will be taken against any student who is involved in such use of drugs. Documented violations of illegal possession, consumption, provision, or sale of narcotics or drugs, or possession of paraphernalia, may result in disciplinary sanction from the University and/or referral to law enforcement officials.

The unlawful manufacturing, possessing, having under control, selling, transmitting, using, or being party thereto of any dangerous drug, controlled substance, or drug paraphernalia on University premises or at University sponsored activities is prohibited. Drug paraphernalia, particularly containing drug residue, may be considered evidence of drug use. In residential facilities with shared living space such as bathrooms, living rooms, hallways, kitchens, and jointly held storage space, all residents with access to, and control over, the shared space will be held accountable for evidence of violations of University policies. It is a violation of University policy to knowingly be in the presence of others who possess illegal drugs or paraphernalia, or to be in the presence of a person using illegal drugs. The University reserves the right to confiscate, retain, and dispose of any and all drug-related items regardless of value or ownership.

As part of the Student Life staff, the Substance Abuse Counselor is available to all students who have acknowledged their problem and would like to work with it. Students may be referred to the Substance Abuse Counselor by Residence Life Staff, faculty, and other concerned individuals.


Possession, use, sale, or exchange of weapons at any location on campus, or within University residences, is prohibited. Firearms, fireworks, chemicals of an explosive nature, explosives or explosive devices, or weapons shall not be maintained on the university campus except as specifically authorized by the Director of Security. The term "weapon" includes any object or substance designed to inflict a wound, cause injury, propel and object, or incapacitate and includes, but is not limited to: all firearms, pellet/BB guns, paintball guns,home manufactured cannons, bows and arrows, slingshots, martial arts devices, switchblade knives or knives with a blade longer than three inches(with the exception of kitchen knives in our University homes or apartments) and clubs. Toy guns and other simulated weapons are covered by this policy.


Gonzaga University community members have a responsibility to be familiar with and adhere to University policies. Specific information about drug and alcohol policies, as well as other policies related to health, safety, and security, are printed in the student Handbook. A copy of the Handbook is distributed to all students, staff, and faculty members.

Campus Security
Gonzaga University
1117 N Dakota
Spokane, WA 99258-0076
Lower Level of Welch Hall
Phone: 509-313-2222
Fax: 509-313-4151
Office hours: 9am-4pm, M-F
Scott Snider
Director, Campus Security & Public Safety
(509) 313-2290

Becky Wilkey
Associate Director, Campus Security & Public Safety
(509) 313-3996

Parking/Office Coordinator
(509) 313-4147