Frequently Asked Questions

1 . How Do I Know Who Purchases What?^

The Purchasing Department has three buyers who are assigned to specific commodities. See the Commodity Split chart for the breakdown.

2 . How Do I Get Access to On-line Requisitions?^

First have completed Banner Navigation and Finance Training  and submit your access form to Laurie Hanlon ITS  Once this is completed the Budget Officer will submit an email to Linda Wilson in the Controller's Office they will need to include the funds and organization codes they would like you to have access to.  Linda will review the request and get back to the Budget Officer with any questions.  Once she has everything in place, she will notify you and Lorrie Engle in University Purchasing that you are ready for on-line requisition training.  This training is done at 1004 N Ruby by either Lorrie Engle or Megan Self taking about 30 minutes.  Once you have completed the training the Buyer will notify Laurie Hanlon go give you form access which takes about 24 hours.

3 . What is a Standing (Blanket) Purchase Order?^

A Standing Purchase Order should be used when you anticipate several small purchases throughout the fiscal year with the same vendor. The Purchase Order will have no units just a dollar amount that estimates the expected use during the Fiscal Year. It is the department's responsibility to monitor the standing purchase order using Banner form FGIENCD. If the dollar amount needs to be increased, the department should contact the appropriate buyer to request a change order and have them increase the dollars to cover additional expenses for the fiscal year.

4 . What is a Change Order?^

A change order is created by the Purchasing Department per the request of the department when a modification is needed to the original purchase request. (I.e., freight line is added.) A Department can note a change on the green copy of the purchase order prior to returning to the purchasing department, or contact the appropriate buyer via phone, or email.

5 . How Do I know if Purchasing Paid My Requisition With a University Credit Card?^

On-line Requisitions:  The person who will receive the product will get a confirmation email showing the order was placed with a credit card.  They can confirm this by going to FOIDOCH.  Type REQ for Document Type and the requisition number starting with R in the Document Code Ctrl PgDn.  Click Options Requisition Info Ctrl PgDn.  You will see a Cancel Reason Code and descripition.  For additional information, click Options Document Text Ctrl PgDn. Once a monthly Journal Vouchers will be processed with the Requisition number and company name in the item description.  The cost will include all tax and shipping charges related to the order.

Paper Requisitions:  The person who will receive the product will get a confirmation email showing the order was placed with a credit card.  Once a monthly Journal Vouchers will be processed with the Requisition number and company name in the item description.  The cost will include all tax and shipping charges related to the order.

For more information on using FOIDOCH see

6 . What Do I Do if I Only Received a Partial Shipment of My Order?^

If the packing list indicated a partial shipment, make a copy of the receiving (green) copy, and note on that copy the specific items received by circling those items.  Sign and date the copy and send it to University Purchasing at AD Box 81.  This will allow for partial payments on the purchase order.  When the balance of the order is received, sign and date the receiving (green) copy of the purchase order and return it to Purchasing at Ad Box 81. See Section 11 of the Purchasing Finance Manual for more Receiving Instructions.

7 . What Do I Do if I Lost the Sign and Return to Purchasing Copy of the Purchase Order?^

If the Sign and Return to Purchasing  copy has been misplaced, and the goods have been received, make a copy of the Department copy and on the bottom of the Purchase Order write "In Lieu of Sign and Return to Purchasing Copy." You do not want to hold up payment of the goods even if the Sign and Return to Purchasing copy is lost.

8 . How Do I Cancel a Purchase Order?^

If you want to cancel a purchase order you write the word "cancel" on the green copy, sign it and forward it to purchasing. When purchasing gets the copy they will cancel the purchase order in banner if no other activity has been done on it. If you call purchasing to cancel a purchase order, they can do it right away in Banner, but you still need to sign the green copy, with the word "cancel" on it and send it to AD Box 81.

9 . How Do I Cancel a Check?^

If you need to cancel or void a check, call Nancy Grasso in Accounts Payable at ext. 6807. She will need you to provide the check number, payee, date of issue, and amount of check. See Section 12 of the Purchasing/Finance Manual to view the process of checking on Banner to see if the check has cleared the bank.

10 . How do I Purchase Professional Services?^

Professional services are defined as being primarily intellectual in nature. Competition for professional services is not required for services costing less than $25,000 including all associated costs and any responsibility anticipated extensions. The final product is usually a report or some other tangible result of their intellectual effort. A purchase order for professional services provided by a business must include all costs associated with the project including travel, hotel, per diem, associated cost and expenses. A payment to an individual for professional services should have reimbursable expenses on a separate payment voucher. When contemplating the need for professional services contact the Purchasing Department. A W-9 is required.

11 . Buy, Lease or Finance Equipment, Which is Best?^

This depends on your circumstances, the item to be acquired, and securing the required approval. The following guidelines may help you decide: Buy: This is an outright purchase (cash to seller). It is the standard practice. It requires that you have funds available for payment upon receipt and acceptance of the equipment. The University takes title to the equipment at this point. Lease: The decision to lease rather than purchase must be approved by the Controller. A lease is a fee for use of equipment. Responsibility for maintenance, upgrades, etc., may vary, but tend to remain with the lessor. At the end of the lease period the equipment is returned to the lessor. Title does not transfer to the University. We have no rights to sell, trade-in, or surplus. Sometimes the lease will include a buy out option that may be exercised at the end of the lease period. However, the buy-out decision is made only at the end of the lease, no commitment is made at the outset. Lease to Own, Lease/Purchasing: The Controller for Finance must approve this type of lease. Lease to own or Lease/purchase agreements establish up front that title will pass to the University at the end of the lease period. There may or may not be a buy-out payment at the end. The lease fees actually amount to be as advantageous as other refinancing agreements available to the University. Prior to making a decision of this nature, the department should confer with the Director of University Purchasing or Controller.

12 . How Do I Order Office Supplies Online?^

Gonzaga University has an office supply contract with Office Depot. To order office supplies online, you must either be a budget officer or have written permission from the budget officer to order supplies. If necessary, please fill out the authorization for purchase of office supplies.  Send this completed form to University Purchasing at  If you have any questions, contact JoAnne Bruce in University Purchasing at 313-5953. She can then provide you with password access to Office Depot and training to order online.

13 . How Can I get a Copy of our Office Depot Contract Pricing?^

Log in to and review the Bulletin Board for a shopping list of our contracted items. If you do not have access to this website contact JoAnne Bruce in University Purchasing for additional assistance.

14 . What Supplies Do We Have On-Campus I Can Purchase?^

University Purchasing is able to by some supplies in bulk and pass the savings onto the department.  Some of the items available are:

  • Copy Paper White
  • Batteries AA, AAA, C, D, 9V
  • Clorox Wipes
  • Facial Tissue
  • Kitchen Towels
  • Light Bulbs
  • Dish Soap
  • Hand Sanitizer

To order any of these items, email with your budget number, items requested and location to have them delivered to.

15 . How should I order toner or ink for my printer?^

Purchasing has a large inventory of toner cartridges. Simply fill out a purchase requisition and send it to or via mail (AD-81) or fax 5953. The items will be delivered to you.

16 . What do I do with my used toner and ink cartridges?^

Empty toner cartridges should be put back into the box it came from, taped up, marked RECYCLE AD-81, and put in campus mail. If you need to order another one please order as described above.

17 . Where Can I Recycle My Used Batteries On Campus?^

The University has disposal sites set up through out the campus for used batteries.  Located in the following locations are orange buckets marked Battery Recycle that are picked up and recycled properly:

  • Business Service Center - 1st Floor Center of Hall
  • College Hall - By elevator on Lower Level, 1st and 2nd Floors
  • Crosby Student Center - North Entrance
  • Foley Center - Faculty Break Room (301), By Main Entrance
  • Health Center - Lower Level by side door
  • Honors - North Entrance Next to Printer
  • Hughes - West entrance - 1st Floor
  • Jepson - East Main Entrance
  • Law School - By Elevator on lower level, 1st and 2nd Floors and Loading Dock
  • Martin Center - North - 3rd Floor Entrance
  • McCarthey Center - Club Room Storage
  • Music Mansion - Hall by 1st Floor Restroom
  • Paccar - Elevators
  • Plant Services - Break Room
  • Rosauer Center (SOE) - North Entrance
  • Robinson - Lower Level Recycling Room
  • Schoenberg Center - 1st Floor Lobby
  • Tilford - South Entrance and Main Entrance
  • Women Studies - Back Entrance

 If you have a large volume that will not fit in these buckets, please put a work order in with Customer Service or call extension 5959 to have them picked up and recycled.

18 . How Does the University Deal With the Disposal of Surplus?^

University Purchasing coordinates the disposal of surplus based on the Gonzaga University Surplus Policy.

When University Purchasing receives surplus items from departments they are evaluated.  The first choice is to reuse it on campus.  If this is possible we will list the items available on the University Purchasing website titled “Surplus” .  The items are available for on-campus use only.  Departments can contact Customer Service on extension 5656 or and ask for the item to be delivered.  Please have the item number available when requesting a Warehouse delivery work order.  This page is updated often, so check back frequently.

If the surplus item is not reusable on campus we will consider donating to a local charity.  If you have a Non-Profit Charity that would be interested in Surplus items you can email give the Charity name, contact person, and the type of items they would be interested in.  Charities must have the capability to pick the items up.  University Purchasing maintains a list of charities and what they would like to receive.

Sometimes we have items that we would like to offer the Gonzaga Community for off-campus use only.  These items will be listed under “Surplus For Sale."  You will need to log-on with your Gonzaga University Log-in.  Once in the site you will see two categories:  Sealed Bids and Buy It Now.  The items are also available for viewing daily from 1-2.  This page is updated often so check back frequently. 

If you have any questions about Surplus please Contact Lorrie Engle 313-5672.