Frequently Asked Questions

1 . What does an "RD" mean on my transcript?^

"RD" means Report Delayed, which means the professor did not assign a grade to you. If you have an RD, you will need to contact the professor.

2 . What does it mean to add or drop a class?^

"Add/Drop" is a time period (Registration Period III) in which students can either add or drop courses without an advisor signature via zagweb. All first-semester freshmen must complete a course authorization form with an advisor signature to add or drop a course. This time period is usually the first week of classes (check semester dates and deadlines for specific dates). "Adding" a class is when a student adds a class. "Dropping" a course is when a student drops a class. Please note: Dropping is different than withdrawing. Dropping is done within Registration Period III. Withdrawing from a course occurs after the add/drop period and must be done before the semester withdrawal deadline (usually after midterms). When a student withdraws from a course, a "W" grade is assigned for the course but does not effect the gpa.

3 . What does it mean to audit a class?^

An audit is a grade option that earns no credit and does not apply toward a degree. Students must register for the audit grading option no later than the last day of Registration Period III. Regular tuition is charged for the course and activity courses are not permitted. For specific details on auditing a course, view Degree Requirements and Procedures.

4 . How do I get a transcript?^

You can order a transcript through the Office of the Registrar. Transcripts can be ordered in-person, on-line or in writing via mail. Visit the Registrar's website to learn more.

5 . How many classes am I allowed to miss?^

Gonzaga University has a class attendance policy. In short, the policy states that the maximum allowable absence is two class hours (100 minutes) for each class credit. Therefore, a student enrolled in a three credit class could miss up to six class hours (300 minutes). Be aware that the number of absences may vary depending on when your class meets. For example, the maximum absences for a class that meets three times a week for 50 minutes would be six classes, or 300 minutes. The maximum absences for a class that meets twice a week for 75 minutes would be four, or 300 minutes. All absences should be discussed with the professors. Read your syllabi and talk to your professors so you won't be caught off guard, but your best bet is to go to class!

6 . What does a "hold" on my registration mean?^

A hold is applied to a student's zagweb account for failure to comply with guidelines set forth by an on-campus office. Holds are applied by several offices for several reasons, such as fines or violations, or academic probation. If you have a hold on your zagweb account, you will not be able to register for courses or have a transcript printed until the hold is lifted. You can check your account on zagweb to see if you have a hold before you register. If you do have a hold, contact the office that placed it.

7 . How do I find out about my grades?^

Final grades are submitted by faculty and instructors to the Registrar's Office usually one week after finals are taken. Grades are available on Zagweb shortly after this for students to check. Grades are never mailed or given to a student over the phone. A student can request a transcript from the Registrar's Office either in person, on-line or in writing. If you need a transcript, visit the Registrar's website. Midterm grades are sent to the student's advisor; midterms are never sent to a mailing address. Students can pick up midterm grades by visiting their advisor. Midterm grades are not permanent grades and will never be listed on a transcript.

8 . What is an incomplete? ("I" or "IP" grade.)^

An "I" or Incomplete is given when a student with a legitimate reason (to be determined by the instructor) does not complete all coursework within the semester or session in which the course was offered. A student should not receive an unexpected incomplete grade; incompletes are assigned as an agreement between the student and professor. The professor will set a deadline for the coursework to be completed, and a provisional grade if the work is not completed by the deadline. If the professor does not assign a provisional grade, the incomplete automatically converts to an "F" grade 30 days into the next semester. Requests for time extensions must be submitted by the professor before the conversion. An "IP" is a Grade In Progress. This grade is assigned only for courses in Research, Comprehensive, Internships, Thesis, Dissertation, and Proposal Seminar. A deadline is set by the professor for completion of the work. If a grade is not submitted by the designated time, the IP will convert to a "W" at the end of the following semester. Requests for time extensions beyond the deadline must be submitted by the instructor prior to the conversion date.

9 . How do I take time off from school? (Withdrawing, Leaves of Absence.)^

If a student needs to take time off from school, for whatever reason, visit or call the Registrar's Office (509-313-6592, College Hall 229). The Registrar's Office can help determine what course of action might be best for the situation. Withdrawing: students who need to leave mid-semester or between terms completely withdraw from the University. This means the student withdraws from all courses in which they are registered. Students should contact the Registrar's Office if they need to withdraw from the University. Leave of Absence: students withdrawing from a semester can return to GU without having to reapply if a leave of absence is filed. To take a leave of absence, a student must be in good academic standing (have a cumulative gpa above a 2.0, and the last term completed must be above a 2.0 as well). Students interested in taking a leave of absence must contact the Registrar's Office. Students who withdraw and/or take a leave of absence must meet with a professional in the Registrar's Office to begin the paperwork and learn what other offices need to be contacted.

10 . What is an average course load?^

128 credits are needed to graduate for most majors, although some majors require more (Special Ed, Teacher cert, Engineering, Human Physiology, Nursing). See the Undergraduate Catalogue for specific requirements. To graduate in four years, students should maintain at least 16 credits each semester or 32 credits a year. Academic advisors can assist students in selecting courses and requirements, but students are ultimately responsible for knowing their academic program and requirements. The Academic Advising and Assistance Office (AAA) has created an academic planning tutorial to help students map out their requirements.  To view the tutorial, and learn more about academic planning, click here

11 . What is considered full-time enrollment?^

Full-time enrollment is a minimum of 12 credits and a maximum of 18 credits.

12 . What is my "ID" number?^

Your ID number, or identification number, is the eight digit number printed on your student ID card. This number is assigned to you by the University. If you are not sure what your ID number is, visit the Registrar's Office.

13 . What does a "V" mean on my grades?^

A "V" is an unofficial withdrawal and has the same effect on a gpa as an F. An instructor will assign a V for excessive absences or failure to complete coursework. If you have a V and do not understand why, you should contact the professor.

14 . How do I register for courses?^

Returning students: Use your ZAGWEB PIN and User ID to register for courses. Your advisor must release you for registration through their Zagweb account, which typically requires an advising meeting before your registration date.  You will not be able to view semester course options until you have been released for registration by your advisor, so don't delay in scheduling this appointment.  All course selections should be discussed with and approved by your advisor.

Incoming students: All new incoming students, regardless of transfer credit, are registered for their first semester courses by academic advisors.  Most students will be enrolled by the Academic Advising and Assistance Office, though some transfer students (School of Education majors and School of Business majors), will be enrolled in consultation with advisors from their school.  All students will compose future schedules (all schedules after the first semester), under the guidance of their academic advisor, through Zagweb.

15 . Who is my advisor?^

Incoming freshmen: Advisors are assigned to incoming freshmen by Academic Advising and Assistance a few weeks before classes begin based on indicated area of interest/major.  New freshmen find out who their advisor is during the Academic Convocation of New Student Orientation. Transfer students will find out their advisor information as part of their enrollment process.

Returning Students: If you do not know who your advisor is, check ZAGWEB.

16 . What is the difference between dropping a course and withdrawing from a course?^

A course can only be dropped within Registration Period III (see the semester dates and deadlines calendar for specific dates). A course that is dropped will not appear on a transcript. Students who want to drop a course after the add/drop period must withdraw from the course. This will assign a "W" grade for the class, which is not factored into the gpa but will appear on a transcript. There is a course withdrawal deadline which is usually one to two weeks after midterms (see the semester dates and deadlines calendar for specific dates). Students who wish to withdraw from a course should pick up a course withdrawal form from the Registrar's Office. This form must be signed by the student's advisor and returned to the Registrar's Office before the withdrawal deadline.