General Degree Requirements and Procedures

Degrees and Programs Offered

A. Degrees Offered

Gonzaga University offers programs leading to the degrees listed below. For specific majors within these degrees, more information can be found under the listing of the individual school or college. This catalogue provides undergraduate degree information and references to the other divisions of the University. Information on graduate and legal studies can be found in the separate catalogues of the Graduate School and the School of Law.

The University has advisory programs to assist students in preparation for admission to professional schools: pre-dentistry, pre-law, and pre-medicine. The Department of Military Science also offers a program leading to a commission in the United States Army.

The College of Arts and Sciences confers the degrees of Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) (Honors and General), and Bachelor of Science (B.S.) (Honors and General).

The School of Business Administration confers the degree of Bachelor of Business Administration (B.B.A.) (Honors and General).

The School of Education confers two degrees: Bachelors of Education (B.Ed.) in Special Education and Bachelor of Education in Physical Education. This school also provides programs leading to initial and continuing teacher certification in elementary and secondary education in conjunction with the B.A. degree.

The School of Engineering and Applied Science confers the degree of Bachelor of Science (B.S.) (Honors and General) in Civil, Computer, Computer Science, Electrical, Engineering Management and Mechanical Engineering.

The School of Law confers the degree of Juris Doctor. In cooperation with the Graduate School, a combined program is offered for the M.B.A./J.D. and MACC/J.D.

The School of Professional Studies confers the degrees of Bachelor of General Studies (B.G.S.) and Bachelor of Science in Nursing (B.S.N.).

A listing of graduate programs in the above College and Schools can be found in the "Other Schools and Programs" section of this catalogue. Consult the Graduate Catalogue for complete information.

Degree Requirements

1. University-Wide
1. University-Wide Undergraduate Degree Requirements
  1. Completion of at least 128 semester credits
  2. Completion of the core requirements of the University and any additional requirements of the individual school or college.
  3. Graduate courses may not be counted toward an undergraduate degree.
  4. Minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.00 in all courses taken at Gonzaga.
  5. Completion of major requirements with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.00 in upper division major courses. The majority of the upper-division major credits must be Gonzaga credits.
  6. Senior Residency Requirement: the last thirty semester credits immediately preceding graduation must be earned in Gonzaga University course work.
  7. Formal application for graduation: students must file an application and pay the graduation application fee according to the instructions and dates published by the University Registrar; diplomas will be dated as of December, May, June, or August, but the only public commencement is in May.

Note: Payment of all indebtedness to Gonzaga University, the return of all equipment to the appropriate entity, and the return of all books to Foley Library are required prior to a prospective graduate's departure from Gonzaga. Holds may be placed on transcripts and diplomas for any of these deficiencies.

2. Catalogue Options

Students entering after June 1, 1981 may select the core and degree requirements from any appropriate Catalogue which is within six years prior to their graduation. Students who entered before June 1, 1981, do not have a time limit regarding the catalogue they select. An appropriate catalogue is one in effect when a student attends with regular status as an undergraduate in a degree program. Summer session attendance does not qualify. The complete degree requirements of only one catalogue must be followed. Selections may not be made from more than one Catalogue. Substitutions for discontinued courses are required and are to be authorized by the proper University authorities.

B. Major Area

Either at the time of entrance or certainly by the end of their second year, undergraduates should declare the particular field in which they wish to do their major work. They are then directed to the proper department for acceptance and advice in planning a program of study.

The major normally consists of at least eighteen credits of upper-division course work in the major field and such supporting courses as the department requires. The major is listed on the final transcript but not on the diploma with the exception of Engineering, Education, and Nursing.

C. Minor Area: Minor Courses of Study

An optional minor study program is offered by most of the departments within the University. Specific requirements can be found under the department headings in this catalogue. The minor is listed on the final transcript if the student completes the necessary requirements and requests the Registrar's Office to do so in writing on the Application for Bachelor's Degree Form.

D. Second Majors, Minors, and Degrees

Under a Gonzaga baccalaureate degree, a student may complete more than one major and/or minor under that degree type (i.e. Bachelor of Arts with majors in Sociology and in Psychology). Students can receive more than one baccalaureate degree at the same time (i.e. Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science). Students who already hold an undergraduate degree from Gonzaga or any other institution can enroll at Gonzaga for a second degree as a post baccalaureate student. Gonzaga University offers second majors, second minors, and second degrees according to the following norms:

Second Major:
  1. The student must fulfill all departmental requirements for the second major and all the core requirements of the school wherein the major is offered.
  2. The student must formally apply for the second major on the Application for the Bachelor's Degree form.
  3. At least during the third and fourth years, the student should utilize the advice of a faculty member in the department of the second major.
Second Minor:
  1. The student must fulfill the requirements of the department. If the minor is in a school other than the major, the second school core requirements need not be fulfilled.
  2. The student must formally apply for a minor on the Application for the Bachelor's Degree Form.
  3. The diploma does not indicate a minor, but it is listed on the transcript.
Second Degree (Undergraduate):
  1. The student must fulfill a second Senior Residency Requirement (thirty Gonzaga credits beyond the 128 needed for the first degree).
  2. The student must fulfill all University Core requirements, individual school core requirements and departmental requirements for the second degree; requirements fulfilled, however, for the first degree are not repeated.
  3. The student must formally apply for the second degree prior to graduation.
  4. A second diploma is awarded only when the second degree is distinctly different from the first.
Second Degree (Post Baccalaureate):
  1. The student must be admitted to the University by the Office of Undergraduate Admission,
  2. The student would enter under the academic curriculum of the current catalogue and be subject to the current academic policies. This would require them to take all courses that are new core requirements for the school/college since their original degree,
  3. The minimum gpa requirement to receive the degree is a 2.00,
  4. Students must complete a minimum of thirty credits at Gonzaga University. Any course work considered transferable toward the second degree would require a student to adhere to the course substitution petition process.
E. Activity Courses

No more than eight activity credits in any combination of activity courses can be counted toward a baccalaureate degree and no more than one activity course may be taken in each semester. Students may take activity courses beyond this limit but they will not count toward meeting degree requirements.

The following courses, which may be repeated, are designated as Activity Courses: Journalism (JOUR): 220 & 230; Music (MUSC): 131, 141-149, 231, 331, 431; Theatre Arts (THEA): 120, 260-262, 320, 360-362; Physical Education (EDPE): 100-183.

Exceptions to these limitations:

  1. Physical Education Majors (B. Ed.) are, with the permission of the chairperson of the Physical Education Department, allowed a total of four EDPE Activity Courses beyond the eight-credit limit for all Activity Courses.

  2. Majors and minors in Music or Music Education may exceed the eight-credit limit;

  3. Majors in Theatre Arts are, with the written permission of the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, allowed a total of four performance credits beyond the eight-credit limit.

F. Multiple Usage of Courses for Meeting Degree Requirements

In general, one course can satisfy only one degree requirement.  Exceptions for multiple usage of courses include:

  1. A LOWER DIVISION course can automatically be used to fulfill any number of lower division MAJOR, MINOR, AND CONCENTRATION requirements while also fulfilling a core requirement.  A double count of courses within the core itself is not allowed with the exception of the social justice requirement within the College of Arts and Sciences.

  2. An UPPER DIVISION course can be used to fulfill a requirement for more than one major and/or minor.   Any upper division course cross-listed with Women's Studies (WGST) or Catholic Studies (CATH) course may fulfill a maximum of six credits of core requirements as well. No permission is necessary.

  3. An UPPER DIVISION course used to meet a University or school core requirement (excluding the social justice requirement) cannot be used to satisfy any major or minor requirement, except for students specifically majoring and/or minoring in the Departments of Religious Studies and Philosophy.

  4. When multiple usage of a course occurs in meeting degree requirements, the course credit is counted only once.  However, the grade is used in determining the major upper division grade point average.

  5. The 128 credit minimum for degree completion (and the additional 30 credits required for a second degree) are not reduced by a double count.
G. Pass/Fail Grade Course Limit

No more than five (5) Pass/Fail graded courses can count toward a baccalaureate degree, and no more than two (2) can be taken in any one department. This grading option cannot be used to satisfy core or major requirements; it only applies to courses taken as electives.

University Confidentiality of Records Policy

Gonzaga University's policy concerning the confidentiality of student educational records reflects a reasonable balance between the obligation of the institution for the instruction and welfare of its students and its responsibility to society.

For more information on the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974, please go to