Academic Policies

A. Disclaimer for Academic Policy and Program Changes

The University reserves the right to make changes in courses, programs, faculty, calendar, tuition and fees, grading procedures, graduation requirements, admission criteria, and any other information contained in this Catalogue at any time without notification. Changes become effective when the University so determines, and apply to prospective students as well as students currently enrolled. The University will make an effort to notify students of changes through publications and notices.

B. Disclaimer for Course Availability

All reasonable care is taken to ensure that both course offerings and degree requirements contain no erroneous, deceptive, or misleading information by either omission, actual statement, or implication. Every effort will be made by the University to offer at least the courses listed in this Catalogue during the period in which it is in effect; student enrollment and faculty availability, however, may affect the courses offered. Some courses listed in this Catalogue are offered only as needed. The decision to offer such courses rests with the chairperson in consultation with the appropriate Dean. Final course information is published each semester in the Announcement of Course Offerings.

C. Academic Advising

Gonzaga University offers a wide variety of courses and programs. So that students may take informed advantage of these many offerings, the University places great emphasis on academic advising.

All students are assigned to faculty advisors who can provide information about programs and requirements. These advisors are provided with information on the academic background of the advisees. Although advisors assist in drawing up class schedules and checking for requirements and prerequisites, students have the personal responsibility of fulfilling the academic requirements as set forth in this Catalogue.

All students must have their schedule of classes approved by their advisors each semester. At mid-term of each semester, advisors will meet with their advisees to distribute mid-term grade reports and review academic progress.

Advisors are available for consultation during their designated office hours and at other times by arrangement. The University expects that students will take advantage of the assistance which advisors can provide in course planning, interpretation of University policies and requirements, clarification of academic and career goals, understanding and using established processes for exemptions to University policies, and making use of the opportunities provided at Gonzaga for a satisfying and profitable academic experience.

Although advisors cannot change University policy or departmental requirements, they can assist students in submitting a petition for a waiver to the appropriate office. Students should take special care that all approved petitions are placed in their permanent file in the Registrar's Office; they should also make sure that both they and their advisors keep copies of such material.

Close and long-term relationships with advisors can obviously be very helpful in the larger educational process of college life. Advisors will sometimes take the initiative in contacting their advisees, and students are expected to visit their advisors at regular intervals.
Students are free to request a change of advisor; forms are available in the Dean's Offices.

D. Student Academic Services

This office, located in AD 250, is designed to centralize into one area services for students and faculty regarding academic information, degree requirements, and advising. This office serves students and faculty needing assistance with:

  • Degree programs and requirements
  • Special advising questions and cases 
  • Dual Enrollment student advising 
  • New student registration 
  • Withdrawals/leave of absence from the University 
  • Academic standing 
  • Academic Transition 
  • Academic Crises
E. Course Numbering System
Lower Division:
  • Below 100 - Remedial in nature; University credit is granted for no more than two courses numbered below 100 and they do not fulfill any core or major requirements.
  • 100-199 - Primarily first and second year courses for which there are normally no prerequisites 
  • 200-299 - Course with usually one prerequisite; primarily for first and second year undergraduates
Upper Division:
  • 300-399 - Courses usually with prerequisites; primarily for third and fourth year undergraduates
  • 400-499 - Courses with prerequisites; primarily fourth year undergraduates 
  • 500-599 - Graduate courses which may be taken by third and fourth year undergraduates with Dean's permission (these courses do not count toward a baccalaureate degree) 
  • 600-699 - Graduate courses for graduate students only 
  • 700-799 - Graduate courses for doctoral students only
F. Classification of Students

An undergraduate student is classified as a First Year, Second Year, Third Year, Fourth Year based upon the cumulative number of semester credits he/she has earned.

Cumulative Credits Earned
0 - 25
First Year
26 - 59
Second Year
60 - 95
Third Year
96 - More
Fourth Year

A post baccalaureate student has a bachelor's degree and is not admitted to the Graduate School. He or she may be pursuing a second bachelor's degree or attending for personal enrichment.

G. Registration Procedures

Registration procedures are outlined on the Registrar’s Office web pages found at

If an individual attends a course section for which he or she is not registered, no grade will be reported and no credit will be awarded for that course. Sitting in a course section without registration is not permitted.

H. Change in Course Registration

Any change in a student's course schedule after registration requires approval from the academic advisor.
Courses may be changed only during the period indicated in the Student/Advisor Action Guide of the Announcement of Course Offerings.
Courses dropped during the official Change of Registration period are deleted from the student's record; courses officially withdrawn after that period will appear on the transcript with a designation of "W" (Official Withdrawal).

I. Transfer and Evaluation of Credits

Gonzaga University welcomes the transfer student, and realizes that the unique contributions offered by students with diverse backgrounds enhance the vitality of the Gonzaga community.  Applicants from other colleges and universities should note the following conditions:

  1. Transfer credits must have been completed at a college or university with regional accreditation recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation and the Secretary of the U.S. Department of Education.

  2. Transfer credits are evaluated on a course-by-course basis. 

  3. Each transfer course must have a grade of 2.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale. 

  4. "Pass" grade (or the equivalent) will be accepted in transfer, but will not fulfill any core, major, or minor requirements. 

  5. In order to fulfill a specific requirement at Gonzaga, the transferred course must be similar in content and depth to a course taught at Gonzaga. Transfer credits submitted in fulfillment of a specific major requirement must have the approval of the department chairperson or dean of the school. 

  6. Two-year college students (junior or community colleges) are allowed to transfer a maximum of 64 semester (or 96 quarter credits) in academic subjects. Only 64 of these semester credits can be applied towards a Gonzaga baccalaureate degree. 

  7. Transfer students coming to Gonzaga with sixty or more acceptable semester credits from a Community College are not permitted to enroll in any two-year institution for further transferable credit. 

  8. The transfer of any extension or correspondence course credit is limited to six semester credits and requires the written approval of the Associate Academic Vice President. 

  9. Some credit may be granted on the basis of AP and IB examinations.  Details can be found on the Gonzaga website at: 

  10. Educational experience in the armed forces is accepted for some transfer credit. Consideration is given to the service school training especially in a Defense Language Institute or in U.S.A.F.I. courses. 

  11. Acceptance of transfer credit is restricted to courses from regionally accredited institutions of higher education. However, after the successful completion of a year at Gonzaga, some transfer credit from other institutions may be allowed by the Associate Academic Vice President. 

  12. All transfer students must complete at least 30 semester credits at Gonzaga immediately preceding their graduation from the University. In the School of Business Administration, transfer students must earn at least 50% of their business administration core and major courses at Gonzaga University. 

  13. Students whose grade in a transferred 3-credit (semester) English composition course is below "B" or 3.0 will be required to sit for the English Department's Exit Examination at the end of their first semester. (See English Composition, ENGL 101, course description in this Catalogue.) The results of the Exit Examination will assist in determining whether the transferred course will fulfill the University core curriculum requirement in English composition. 

  14. Students transferring in with 45 or more semester credits are permitted to waive either the Philosophy elective (400 level) or applied Religious Studies course (300 level).

J. Transfer of Credits:
Associate of Arts Degree

Students who have completed the Washington State Associate of Arts Degree and have complied with the state-wide articulation agreement between colleges and universities, will normally be granted third year standing and will have satisfied many of Gonzaga's core requirements. Students will be responsible for:

  1. Gonzaga's English exit examination if they received a grade below "B" or 3.00 in the English composition course,
  2. university-level mathematics course beyond intermediate algebra, 
  3. one course in logic, 
  4. six courses in philosophy and religion. (see J. 14 above)

NOTE: Former Gonzaga students who re-enter the University from two-year colleges to complete their degree may not use the Associate of Arts degree core course waiver privileges. All readmitted transfer students must fulfill all of the University's core requirements. Transfer credits, however, will be evaluated and accepted on a course by course basis. Similarly, Gonzaga will not recognize an AA degree that is obtained using Gonzaga coursework transferred to fulfill AA requirements.

The associate degree must include at least 90 quarter (60 semester) credits of which 75 quarter (50 semester) credits must be directly transferable to Gonzaga. The maximum transferable credit from any community college is 96 quarter credits or 64 semester credits.

Permission for Transfer of Credits by current Gonzaga Students
Transfer of credit must be approved by Undergraduate Admission and be on file in the student's official academic file in the Office of the Registrar.

Students who desire to register simultaneously at Gonzaga and another college or university must obtain prior written permission from the appropriate official at Gonzaga. More detailed information is available from the Registrar's Office.

Transfer of credit for courses taken in the summer at another college or university by Gonzaga students must be authorized prior to taking the course, in writing, by appropriate University officials as specified on the Permission to Transfer Credits Form and Waiver of Senior Year in Residency Form. Students must request transcripts that include credits from other institutions as soon as they are completed, to be forwarded to the Registrar's Office, Gonzaga University, Spokane, WA 99258.

K. Course Challenge Program

Students who have completed twelve credits at Gonzaga and are currently enrolled in a matriculated degree program may take advantage of the course challenge system. This enables them to obtain academic credit for certain courses by demonstrating proficiency in the required subject matter. Detailed information and regulations regarding this program can be obtained from the Registrar's Office. There is a fee per credit challenged.

L. Course Overload

Students in good academic standing may petition their school's Dean to take more than the maximum of eighteen credits. There is an additional tuition charge for these extra credits. Students in the Honors Program, however, with the approval of the Honors Program Director, may take extra credits without charge.

M. Auditing a Course

Audit Grading Option (AU grade assigned): Auditors are students who register for a course under the Audit Grading Option by signing the audit form in the Registrar's Office. Regular tuition is charged. Activity courses (e.g., physical education, music, art, etc.) are not permitted to be taken under the Audit Grading Option. Auditors will not be allowed access to individual instruction, to equipment, or to supplies in conjunction with the course. Once a course is registered for under the Audit Grading Option, students who fail to attend the class according to the regular attendance requirements of the class are liable to receive a "V" grade at the discretion of the professor.

a) Registration is available through Registration Period III which is the late registration/drop-add period. The auditor registers for a lecture method course under the Audit Grading Option and pays tuition based on this option and course credits. A designation of "AU" is recorded on the auditor's academic transcript if the auditor satisfactorily attended the course. An "AU" on a student's transcript reflects no academic credits earned and indicates that the person has received exposure to the course content for an academic semester/term. The "AU" designation does not apply toward meeting degree requirements.

b) A professor may assign a "V" grade for unofficial withdrawal when attendance is unsatisfactory.

c) Professors may assign the "AU" designation in ENGL 098, 099, and 101, and also MATH 099, when a student who has not registered as an auditor is unable to attain the objectives of those courses within one semester in spite of diligent work and attendance; these courses must be repeated until a passing letter grade is granted.

d) Under this option, audited course credits are not counted toward meeting full-time credit requirements for financial aid, student loans, VA benefits, etc., although standard tuition is paid for the credits. Auditors should be very cautious about registering using Audit Grading Option.

N. Withdrawal from the University

Students who register but decide not to attend the University should obtain a Complete Withdrawal Form from Student Academic Services (SAS). The withdrawal process requires approvals and an interview with a professional in SAS. SAS will assist students in acquiring approvals from the following offices as necessary: Registrar's Office, Financial Aid, Student Accounts, and the Office of Housing and Residence Life. Financial adjustments are based upon the date of the completion of the withdrawal process.

Refunds will be made on tuition according to the following plan: first week = 100%; second week = 80%; third week = 60%; fourth week = 40%; after the start of the fifth week no refund will be made. Laboratory fees are refunded during the first week only.

Refunds for room and board will be prorated throughout the semester: board on a daily basis and room in units of whole weeks or any part thereof ending Saturday midnight.
Financial aid received will be refunded to the proper agency in accordance with University and governmental regulations.

O. Leave of Absence

Students who are pursuing a bachelor's degree at Gonzaga and must interrupt their education for a period of not more than one year may be eligible for a leave of absence from the University. To be eligible for a leave of absence, a student must have at least a 2.0 in semester and cumulative grade point averages and plan to return within a year. Leave of absence forms are available from Student Academic Services (SAS). Students requesting a leave of absence must have an interview and obtain approval from SAS. SAS will assist students in acquiring approvals from the following offices as necessary: Registrar's Office, Financial Aid, Student Accounts. Students are not eligible to reside on campus, attend classes, or participate in regular campus activities during their absence. Students who attend another school during their leave of absence will have that status voided and they must apply for re-admission to the University. Leaves of absence will not extend beyond one academic year. Students who wish to return to the University after the termination date on their leave of absence must apply for re-admission to the University.