MANDATORY INTERNATIONAL STUDENT & SCHOLAR ORIENTATION
The Gonzaga University International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) office looks forward to welcoming you to campus this spring! ISSS is here to assist you with achieving your personal and academic goals while you’re in the United States. We provide pre and post arrival orientation, immigration and academic advising, cultural adjustment workshops, job placement assistance, fun social activities, and much more. Please feel free to contact our office anytime! firstname.lastname@example.org
Before your arrival in Spokane, Washington, please be sure to check the following:
- Have you arranged your housing? Visit this page if you need more information.
- If you plan to live on campus, be sure to complete the Early Arrival Form for Spring 2016 here and send it to email@example.com
ORIENTATION AND ARRIVING IN SPOKANE:
- When you purchase your plane ticket, be sure to complete the airport pickup form and pay the $10 airport pickup fee. If you do so, one of our staff members will come pick you up at the airport, show you where you can buy groceries, and show you where orientation will take place. You can also purchase linens (sheets, towel, pillow, etc.) on the same page for $45.
- Plan to arrive in Spokane onJanuary 9 or January 10, 2016. If you arrive earlier, your on-campus accommodations may NOT be available, and you will need to stay in a hotel.
- The mandatory Orientation will be held on Monday, January 11 from 2:30 p.m. – 5 p.m. Optional activities are available until later in the evening. (you will be receiving the complete- check your e-mail)
- Send your passport size picture to firstname.lastname@example.org before December 31: this way you will have your Student ID ready at orientation! Directions on uploading your photo can be found here.
- Complete Gonzaga's Immunization Forms, which is REQUIRED for all Gonzaga students. Please have your doctor complete the form, and bring it with you to campus. We will assist you with submission of the form to the Health Center. You can download the form here.
- J-1 & F-1 visa students & Exchange Scholars are required to carry insurance that pays at least $100,000 per accident or illness, $25,000 for repatriation of remains, $50,000 for medical evacuation to home country, and a deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness. As an F-1 or J-1 student, you will be automatically enrolled in Gonzaga’s medical insurance plan to meet these requirements. Details about the plan can be found here.
Medical expenses are high in the U.S. You must have enough coverage to pay for unexpected accident/medical costs while in the U.S. There will be no exceptions to this requirement. It is a mandatory part of your educational expenses.
Spokane in January is typically snowy, wet, and cold. Have a look at what the weather is usually like here so that you can decide what to put in your suitcase.
Check out these links for more information:
- Visit our website
- 'Like' us on Facebook: the new Gonzaga International Student & Scholar page is where you can connect with existing students and learn about upcoming events
- Visit the International Zags blog for information about Spokane, on-campus events, and more
- Check out our Twitter for upcoming events!
Meet the ISSS Staff!
Amber McKenzieDirector, ISSS
RO & PDSO for Immigration documents
Office: HEMM 204D
Stashia KaielInternational Enrollment Specialist
DSO & ARO for Immigration documents
Office: HEMM 204B
Sarah AlamiInternational Student Advisor
DSO & ARO for Immigration documents
Office: HEMM 102C
Emma ButterworthInternational Student Wellness Assistant
DSO for Immigration documents
Office: HEMM 102E
Brittany PrestonInternational Recruiter/Counselor
Office: HEMM 204I
International Students & Scholar Services
Spokane, WA 99258-0088
Toll Free: (800) 986-9585
Phone: (509) 313-3648
Fax: (509) 313-5814