Advising FAQs

Here are some FAQs about the business degree requirements. Please contact your advisor or one of the following individuals if you have any questions.

Esther Wilson

1-800-986-9585 ext. 7027

Jane Hession
1-800-986-9585 ext. 3425

1 . How many credits do I need to earn a BBA degree?^

A minimum of 128 credits are required to complete the BBA (or any degree) at Gonzaga. This is an average credit load of 16 credits per semester (less if some summer course work is included).  The maximum credit load is 18 credits per semester.

2 . What majors are available to me in the business school?^

The business school offers two undergraduate majors: Accounting and Business Administration.

3 . What are the degree requirements for the Accounting major?^

Degree requirements include: GU Core: 31-32 credits (depending on the math class taken for either 3 or 4 credits); Business Core: 17 credits; SBA Admission Prerequisites: 18 credits; Business Upper Division Foundation and Capstone: 18 credits; Major Coursework: 21 credits.

Remember, the above credits will total less than 128 which is the minimum required for graduation. Students typically earn 128 credits by taking some combination of a second major or concentration, a minor, and/or general elective credits.

4 . What are the degree requirements for the Business Administration major?^

Degree requirements include: GU Core: 31-32 credits (depending on the math class taken for either 3 or 4 credits); Business Core: 17 credits; SBA Admission Prerequisites: 18 credits; Business Upper Division Foundation and Capstone: 18 credits; Major & Concentration with BIE courses (Broadening/International/Experiential): 18-21 credits

Remember, the above credits will total less than 128 which is the minimum required for graduation. Students typically earn 128 credits by taking some combination of a second major or concentration, a minor, and/or general elective credits.

5 . What are “concentrations” and the credit requirements for each?^

Concentrations are fields of specialization in the Business Administration major. These are:  Economics (15 credits), Entrepreneurship & Innovation (12 credits), Finance (15 credits), Human Resource Management (12 credits), Marketing (15 credits), Management Information Systems (12 credits), Operations & Supply Chain Management (12 credits). Also available are interdisciplinary concentrations in International Business (12 credits) and Law & Public Policy (12 credits). Note:  The International Business concentration must be taken in tandem with another concentration or with the Accounting Major.

Six credits in the BIE component of the Business Administration major must be taken by a student taking one concentration. Students completing a double concentration, or a concentration and an accounting major, only 3 credits from the International or Experiential component of the BIE would be required.

 A student with other specific goals/interests may design an individualized concentration with the advice and approval of a faculty advisor.

6 . Is it possible to do a double major in the School of Business (i.e., Accounting and Business Administration) and still graduate in four years?^

Yes. It's possible with careful planning. Some summer course work may be necessary.  Accounting majors should be informed of credit requirements (150) for CPA licensing and the option to earn these additional credits via a masters program in accounting as a fifth year option.

7 . Can I earn a double concentration under the Business Administration major?^

Yes.  Courses required for each concentration must be completed.  One double-counting between concentrations is permitted, but credits are counted only once.

In addition, a concentration requirement may not be double-counted with the BIE credits.

Courses taken for the International Business concentration cannot be double counted for courses in the primary concentration.

As noted above, the 6-credit requirement in the BIE component of the major will be reduced to 3 credits if the student is also completing a second concentration or an accounting major.

8 . Is it possible to major in ___________ (e.g., math and business administration)?^

Yes.  This would be a dual degree program (from Arts & Sciences and Business).  In this case, the student must earn at least thirty additional GU credits beyond the 128 required for the first degree.  The GU core, the core requirements of each school and the requirements for each major must all be completed. An Arts & Sciences degree require that at least 104 of the credits for the degree are liberal arts credits.

9 . I am a business major; can I minor in another field?^

Yes, minors are available from other colleges/departments of Gonzaga, (e.g., history, math, Spanish, public relations, economics, applied communications arts).

10 . I am not a business major but I am interested in taking some business classes. What business minors are available to me?^

There are minors available in Analytical Finance (27-28 credits), General Business (24 credits), Management Information Systems (17 credits), and Promotion (18 credits).  Note: Non-business majors may not take more than 32 credits of business courses.  A minor in Economics is offered under the College of Arts & Sciences and is available to any GU student, including business majors (economics courses are not counted in the 32-business credits limit for non-business majors).

11 . What catalogue should I use to determine my B.B.A. degree requirements?^

Students can choose any catalogue in effect during the time a student is enrolled as a regular undergraduate in a degree program.  Requirements may differ across catalogues and may not be combined across catalogues.

12 . Can lower division courses (100- and 200-level) taken for minor requirements be double-counted towards the core?^

Yes, if applicable (e.g., SOCI 101 required for the Sociology minor is also counted as a social science elective in the business core).  Credits are counted only once, however, in the calculation of total credit requirements (e.g., 128 minimum required to graduate).

13 . I am a transfer student. Are there any minimum credit requirements I need to earn at Gonzaga towards my degree?^

At least 50% of required business credits must be earned at GU and the final 30 credits immediately preceding graduation must be Gonzaga credits (this is known as the senior residency requirement)..

14 . What course waivers are available to a transfer student who transfers at least 45 semester credits when admitted to GU?^

Business students who transfer a minimum of 45 semester credits when they enroll at GU may waive one of the following business core course requirements:  HIST 101/102/112, or fine arts, or science, or a social science elective.  Gonzaga also waives either RELI 3XX or PHIL 4XX for a student who transfers a minimum of 45 semester credits when admitted to GU.

The total number of credits required for the degree (128) must still be earned.

Notes: Up to 64 semester credits (96 quarter credits) can be transferred from a two-year community or junior college.  Any additional transfer credits must be earned from a four-year regionally-accredited university.  For business upper division courses, the university has to be accredited by AACSB International.  Business majors must earn at least 50 percent of their business core and major courses at GU. 

A transfer student who earns an A.A. or A.S. degree from a Washington community college or North Idaho College is given junior-standing by GU.  (See the Undergraduate Catalogue for specific waivers and/or additional requirements.)

15 . I took a principles of marketing class when I was a freshman or sophomore at another college. Gonzaga accepted the course for elective credits only. How do I go about having this class accepted as equivalent to MKTG 310 so that I do not have to repeat the class at GU?^

A lower division class equivalent to an upper division business class is accepted only for elective credits.

Upper division business courses are transferable from a four-year AACSB accredited institution, if it is deemed equivalent to the GU business course.

16 . When can I begin my junior business foundation and major/concentration courses?^

For business majors, completion of six business prerequisites with a GPA of 2.70 is required to be admitted in upper division business courses.  These prerequisites are:  ACCT 260-261, BMIS 235, BUSN 230, and ECON 201-202.  In addition, the minimum grade for each prerequisite class is a C-.  Students should apply for admission by the spring semester of their sophomore year, or the semester prior to starting junior-level business courses.  Provisional admission is given after mid-term grades are received to allow sophomores to register for junior courses in the next term.  When final grades are posted at the end of a given semester, those who fail to meet the minimum admission requirements (2.70 GPA and no grade lower than a C-) are notified by email - a course or two may have to be repeated in the next term or summer and specific minimum grade expectations are given.  If the student is enrolled in a junior business class(es) in the next term, the class may have to be dropped.  At the end of the term, final grades in prerequisite courses are reviewed.  If the admission requirements are met, the student may stay in junior classes he/she is enrolled in.  Otherwise, on a case-by-case basis, a student may be asked to withdraw from all junior business courses and to repeat another prerequisite class (or two if needed) if the student wishes to continue as a business major.  A realistic assessment should be made as to the potential for success in completing admission requirements successfully; if success is highly unlikely, the student would be informed of the option to change majors. 

Once a student has completed all admission prerequisites, he or she is assigned to a business faculty advisor.

The 2.70 GPA admission requirement and the minimum grade of C- in each prerequisite course  are also in place for non-business students pursuing a minor in General Business or Analytical Finance.  However, General Business and Analytical Finance minors have options on the specific course prerequisites that need to be completed.

There are no admission requirements for other minors offered by the School of Business for non-business students.  However, enrollment in the courses required in these minors needs at least junior standing and the appropriate course prerequisite (e.g., MKTG 310 for MKTG 315, or ECON 201 for ECON 311).   These minors are: Economics, Management Information Systems, Entrepreneurship & Innovation, and Promotion.

Applications for admission to begin junior-level business courses are available in the Advising Services office (Jepson 011) and from literature racks on the second floor lobby of Jepson. The application has to be submitted to an advisor who will advise student of grades needed to meet the minimum 2.70 GPA required for admission.

17 . Why is BUSN 481 Strategic Management a “seniors only” course?^

Completion of all 300-level business foundation core courses is a prerequisite to BUSN 481, which is a capstone course.  Because the course integrates various functional areas in business, completion of the foundation courses is necessary for case studies, decision-making and strategic planning.

18 . Why should BUSN 480 and BUSN 485 be taken concurrently?^

These are senior capstone courses in business ethics. BUSN 480 deals with the fundamentals of business ethics and BUSN 485 is a seminar focused on the student's area of concentration. The prerequisite for these courses is PHIL 301 Ethics.

19 . When should I declare my major and/or minor?^

As early as the student wishes but no later than the start of the student's courses in a given major/concentration.  A Declaration of Major/Minor form is used.  This is the same form used should the student decide to transfer out of the School of Business to switch majors in another GU program.  A change of advisor is also made on the same form.  Signatures of current and new advisors are required.  The freshman or sophomore advisor in the SBA's Academic Advising office (Jepson 011) signs the form as the Dean's designate. The Registrar's office processes these changes.

20 . How do I get permission to take summer courses at another school?^

All transfer courses (usually summer classes) taken while a student is enrolled at Gonzaga must be pre-approved by an appropriate department chair (use Permission to Transfer Credits form).  After all the required approvals/signatures are obtained, the permission form should be filed with the Registrar's office.  Upon completion of the class, the student must request an official transcript to be sent to GU's Registrar in order to accomplish the transfer of credits/course(s).

Note: The student must earn at least a C grade for the credits/course to transfer to GU.  Grades for transferred credits are not calculated into the student's overall GPA at Gonzaga.

21 . What business classes can I take at a community college or a four-year university in the summer?^

Only lower division business classes may be taken at or transferred from a community or junior college.  N.B.:  If a student has transferred > 64 credits from a community college, this option is no longer available.  Upper division business courses must be taken at a four-year AACSB accredited university.  Also, note the 50% requirement of business courses that should be completed at Gonzaga.

22 . What is the process to join a study abroad program offered by another university?^

The process starts at the Study Abroad office.  Some of the paperwork could include a  leave-of-absence request if the program is not a GU-sponsored or an exchange program.  Permission to transfer credits should list all classes to be taken and appropriate approvals/signatures obtained.  The form is filed with the Study Abroad office.  A copy is always recommended for the advisor's file. 

23 . I only have a few more credits to complete my degree. I will have a job at another city or I am going home and cannot return to Spokane for my final term. Can I take these at another school?^

The last 30 semester credits before graduation must be earned at GU.  This residency requirement may be appealed under extenuating circumstances.  Note:  the grades earned for these final courses are not computed in the student's Gonzaga GPA.

24 . May I take more than the maximum credit load of 18 credits per semester?^

Yes. A "Credit Overload Request" form is available from the School of Business office.

You have to be in good academic standing (3.0 GPA for business students) and need the advisor and  the Dean's approvals and signatures.

.  Each extra credit hour will be assessed additional tuition charges.An appeal to have the additional charges waived can be filed with the Academic Vice President's office.

25 . How do I add, drop, or withdraw from a course or change a class from credit to audit (or vice versa?^

The academic calendar lists the final dates to add, drop, withdraw from a course(s) or to make any changes in one's registration such as a change from credit to audit or vice-versa, or take a class pass/fail (if appropriate).

"Drop" means the dropped course is not listed in the transcript.   First-semester freshmen need to use an add/drop form; all others should use Zagweb.

To "add" a class to the student's class load, an "add" form is used by first-semester freshmen.  All others need to use Zagweb by the date of the published deadline to "drop" a class.  However, if the class is closed or other restrictions prevent the student from adding the course on-line, a "course authorization" with required approvals/signatures should be taken to the Registrar's office by the date of the published "add" deadline.

A student can "withdraw" from a course until the published last day to withdraw.  A "course withdrawal form" signed by the student's advisor should be submitted by the student to the Registrar's by the stated deadline.  The Registrar sends the course instructor a copy of the course withdrawal form.  A "W" for the course will be reflected in the student's official transcript and does not affect the student's overall GPA.

An appeal to add, drop or withdraw after the published deadlines is available to the student. Approvals are required from the instructor, advisor and the appropriate dean (e.g., Arts & Sciences  dean if a liberal arts course; business dean if a business course, etc.). Appeal forms are available from the Advising Services offices (Jepson 011) or from Jepson Center's second floor reception office.  Fees are assessed for late appeals and tuition adjustments are not applicable.

26 . What do I do about a “V” grade?^

A "V" grade assigned at mid-term indicates the instructor had no basis (because of non-attendance or excessive absences) to assign other letter grades.  This "red flag" needs to be addressed, either by resolving with the instructor any issues involved and/or submit a "withdrawal" from the course before the last day to withdraw. A final grade of "V" is calculated as "F" in the student's overall GPA.

27 . Why did I receive an “I” or “RD” grade for a class?^

A final grade of "I" (Incomplete) means the student has not completed the course requirements.  In submitting an "I" grade, the instructor also assigns a provisional grade that becomes the student's final grade 30 days after the start of the next semester, unless the student fulfills the remaining requirements and the instructor submits a "change of grade" request to the Registrar.  "RD" means the grade report has been delayed and will be changed on the student's transcript once the grade report is submitted by the course instructor. I, IP or RD grades (whether for core or elective credits) must be resolved in order to complete all degree requirements.

28 . Can I take a course pass/fail?^

Only if the course is to be used for general elective credits.  P/F grades are not the same as S/NS grades which a department assigns to specific courses.    A maximum of 5 P/F graded courses are allowed in a degree program and no more than 2 can be taken from any one department.  The credits for the course are counted toward the 128-credit degree requirement.  The P grade is not counted in the GPA.  The Undergraduate Catalogue outlines the conditions under which the pass/fail option is available. 

29 . When do I register for classes in the next semester (or summer?)^

During the distribution of mid-term grades in the fall or spring semester. The student must meet with his/her advisor to review the student's academic progress and to discuss courses to be taken in the next term in order to stay on track for the completion of the student's degree program. At this meeting the advisor releases the student's registration code, allowing the student to access Zagweb. The student's registration data are also provided by email from the Office of the Registrar.

30 . I received a low grade in (course title) and would like to repeat it to improve my GPA. How is my GPA calculated?^

If the course is taken and then repeated at Gonzaga, the original course and grade remain recorded on the student's transcript, but the GPA will be recomputed based on the most recent grade earned for the course (even if it happens to be lower than the first grade).

If the course is repeated at another school, the course/credits/grade are not transferable to Gonzaga.

31 . How can I determine the remaining course work I need to complete my degree?^

The student or advisor can access a CAPP (or degree audit) report on Zagweb.  The report lists the remaining requirements to complete the degree program.

32 . How do I apply for graduation?^

A student applies two years before the expected completion of his or her degree.  Specific dates are published by the Registrar. A student graduating within a given calendar year may participate in May commencement exercises of the same year unless the Registrar is notified by the student about participation in a different commencement year. Currently. the graduation application fee is $50. Late applications are $75.

33 . Where do I get my graduation cap and gown?^

Graduating seniors are notified of the dates when these should be ordered and when they will be available for pickup.