SAEC Mtg Minutes
September 8, 2009
Members present: Bill, Angela, Fr. Hess, Marcia, Krystal, Rodolfo, Roberta, Connie
Minutes from August 25 meeting Approved, Marcia 1st. Roberta, 2nd
Guest Steve Hess:
- Wanted to come and meet us, Interim Vice President for Mission.
- What does he do and how he envisions his role, things he would like to see happen this year, how can he be of assistance to staff, especially as relates to the mission.
- SA worked very closely with Pat Lee. Since he left there has been no one in the position. Thayne asked him to serve in an interim position (they will be doing a search).
- He had discussions with Pat Lee, gave him permission to accept the position.
- He is honored. A crucial position. A little nervous but excited. He sees his role as giving the faculty and staff the tools they need to do their work in the context of mission. He wants to help us do that.
- University Ministry is the department that falls directly under his umbrella but they do more to serve students whereas he works with faculty and staff. He wants to go around and meet with people and listen.
- Pink handout:
- Mission advisory committee; plan events, strategize, etc
- Mission development program. A program on:
- 1st semester: Two sessions: basics of mission and "why we do what we do"
- 2nd semester: More discussion oriented sessions
- Conversations on "Conversations" - AJCU, twice a year they distribute the magazine. Sessions to talk about what is in the magazine. Molly Pepper and Jane Hession are organizing these meetings
- Faculty and Staff retreats
- Ignatian Colleagues dinners
- Customized programs and Services - At the request of departments and organizations.
- William: the mission statement was the number one reason he wanted to come. Since Fr. Lee left he has felt a void. SA tries to do everything in light of and in support of the mission. He is glad and pleased that Fr. Hess is here and is a welcome
- Angela: A couple things that are a little more structural
- CARES initiative explanation and where we are at. Right now it is resting with Thayne.
- Fall Faculty conference; making sure that Staff voices were heard and that staff have communication vehicles like Faculty have. Also that we are invited into the decision making processes.
- Conflict resolution: experience as a peer advisor demonstrates challenges for resolving problems between employees or between an employee and supervisor; current process needs attention.
- How we behave with each other is worthy of being discussed and in keeping with the mission. How we treat one another...
- Fall Faculty Conferences - Indications are that Thayne, and certain members of the faculty are very dedicated to including staff and keeping them "in the loop".
- Conversations magazine. Does not go to everyone in the university. Plant services and the Athletic Department requested a smaller amount...put in break rooms.
- Bill - chief importance of mission for staff assembly is the increasing tendency to adapt a corporate culture in running the university which is often in conflict with the mission. SA will always be protesting that.