July 14, 2009
Members present: Eric B., Marcia, Rodolfo, William, Roberta, Connie, Bill, Ann, Angela, Kristen K
No minutes approved this meeting. Will approve two sets (6/30 and 7/14) next meeting.
Introduction of Kristen Kavon, new member to SAEC.
1. Picnic details. Report from Krystal who is in Montana. Planning is progressing, trying to stay within budget, almost finalized. There will be a SAEC table at the picnic; would like to have some printed info and 1 rep from each committee take a turn being present to answer questions. Volunteers at this point are:
a. 4:00 - 4:30 - Roberta
b. 4:30 - 5:00 - Bill
c. 5:00 - 5:30 - William
d. 5:30 - 6:00 - Connie
e. 6:00 - 6:30 - Anne
Marcia is working with Sodexho on menu. Cost is coming in at $12.00/person. Lots of variety (Mac on a stick?) but few veggies, fruit, healthy food. Price needs to be reduced. Marcia asked for input from SAEC. Angela suggested we contact the city water truck, promoting not using bottled water.
2. Roberta brought the ½ page flyer we will pass out when SAEC members visit offices. Take off upcoming events.
3. Angela, planning committee for staff assembly retreat. Retreat is August 11. Morning 8:30 - noon. Refreshments and pizza. Looking for space. (Jepson - Faculty lounge?; Marcia's house? Kennedy, depending on number) Scope and spirit - reorient people to structure of staff assembly, committees, how they work together, what's "hot", etc
4. Cathy Dieter - Regents rep., was invited to July mtg.New Business:
1. Krystal Burns/Outreach Committee brought up the idea of having a contest to design a Staff Assembly logo. They would like to announce the contest at the picnic, with the winner being announced at the Fall Open meeting. The SA logo would be used on any and all SA announcements...
a. Roberta brought up expense of printing?
b. Black/White so that we could cut'n paste?
c. Do we have to touch base with MARCOM? (Marketing and Communication) and Public Relations - Dale Goodwin. Committee should do this.
d. Check with IT about storage space in computers
e. Could be a morale builder and give us another tool for added identity. Any incentive or prize other than public recognition?
f. Need to form an ad hoc committee
g. Continue discussion next time we meet. May not be able to announce it at the picnic.
2. What is next regarding CARES?
a. Today is Fr. Spitzer's last day.
b. Need to begin communicating with Thayne, what's next?
c. Angela suggested we contact Jacinta to see if she knows whether or not it is in the pipeline or has been acted upon.
d. Volunteer sign up sheet at the picnic? Bill thinks we need to get some response from the presidents office. Angela - It is not a matter of approval but a matter of funding (which we may or may not need). We don't need permission. We can move forward. The homework has been done and stumbling blocks removed. But a letter of support from the president would be a valuable asset - something in writing. As a matter of courtesy we need to approach Thayne the same as we have been working with Fr. Spitzer. Discussion continued next time.
Next mtg - July 28