Road to Zanzibar
Wed 9/19/2007 10:00-11:00 AM
M I N U T E S
Attended: Mike, Marcia, Angela, Linda, John, Jill, Connie, Brady, Tim, William, Georgia, Krystal, Bill, Kim, Dan
Deans have been regarded as staff in our by-laws. HR informed Marcia recently that Deans are considered faculty. Marcia had been approached in the past about Deans not being recognized by the Faculty Senate as faculty, and a couple of years ago Staff Assembly Executive Council agreed to incorporate recognizing Dean as staff for gifts. Marcia checking with Scott about whether and how the Faculty Senate acknowledges and includes Deans.
United Way Campaign
The Outreach Committee needs assistance. Please contact Janelle Axtell to volunteer time and help. Marcia will meet with Janelle to identify specific needs.
Committee Roles/Needs: Compensation Committee (CC) - Georgia, Linda, John
a. Committee Representation - Committee requests that any university activity regarding compensation where Staff Assembly provides representation to let the committee choose the representative. Marcia explained the wide differences in whether we even get invited for SA representation throughout the university. b. Benefit Reviews – staff and faculty representatives meet regularly and intensely with Debbie throughout the spring.
c. Retirement Committee - Georgia is on a committee regarding retirement changes required by the IRS which also looks at fiduciary responsibility of the plan. Kim has been approached with request for phased-in retirement for Staff. Marcia is in discussions with Scott Bozman about this issue. Dan explained the relevance to faculty due to tenure, involving surrending tenure rights over time (full load to partial load over three years). Georgia referenced how the Law School utilizes the system as a way to incentivize retirements for elderly professors, which is helpful when faculty is being reduced in light of enrollment levels. It’s voluntary by law. Linda suggested an option for staff could be valuable for succession planning, so it may be worth looking at. d. SAEC Advisor – CC would like to have an Executive Council member attend all committee meetings and have the responsibility of conveying. e. Goals/Issues:
- Goals will be set at the November meeting. - CC hasn’t been informed about the progress of the performance management work group (PMWG) and therefore isn’t sure what issues that addresses or not. Angela explained that members of the PMWG were directed to not share details about the meetings. The group has explored the meaning and best practices for performance, options for compensation systems, and discussed possibilities for the culture here. Dan added that a meeting with Thayne is taking place soon to clarify whether anything suggested by the group is implemented, and if so, a small pilot group will be selected for implementation in the first year. - Mardell working with the Winter Break proposal
- Move to 40 hours for some employees – many supervisors did not invite HR training and information. CC has asked HR to be more aggressive about communicating changes to the community, and wants to assist this in general. - Community Input/Communications – currently relying on what surfaces either to CC members or SAEC. Reactivating the compensation survey and utilizing one of the monthly socials would be helpful for gathering information about interests.
IT Security Best Practices – Guest: Jim Jones
a. Handouts: Information Security Best Practices and flyer for Cyber Security Month (October)
b. Jim requested we help promote Cyber Security Month. He shared an example of a university database getting hacked and exposing thousands of confidential costing about $150,000 to deal with the aftermath, and significant dropped students and lower new enrollment the following year. William asked about the university’s liability. Jim responded that Gonzaga is at risk for being sued, and there are state requirements. Federal laws mimicking current California laws are in progress. Key caution is regarding passwords. Pass phrases are being implemented, as well as requiring complexity (including symbols and numbers) in pass words and phrases as of November 1. Jim is currently interviewing and training departments about accessing campus information from other locations (ie, using Citrix to access the network). Sending emails over the internet in plain text are vulnerable. There are some tools built into Outlook. We are adding a secure server called Xythos, hopefully by December, which captures information that can be accessed via a secure site. At home, be careful about “remember me” options for logins and pay attention to the URL. Encryption tools are available at a range of prices. Citrix and GEM are secure except if the home system has a key logger that stores that information. For accessing from home, need a 128-byte encryption rather than what’s currently available through Outlook. Using wireless tools, such as a blackberry or laptops. Brady and Jim are currently working to identify all laptops used on campus to do disk encryptions.
AVP Search Committee Status
William and Marcia met with Joan Allbery to express concern about the SA not being invited to select a representative for the search committee. Joan was supportive and agreed to represent concerns and interests. There is an aggressive schedule for interviews and selection. The process is confidential. Outstanding Mission Award
a. Nominations - Marcia receiving many nominations from throughout the campus. She requested EC members to step forward to create a selection committee including Fr. Lee. Kim, Jill, and Connie volunteered. Connie explained that the number of meetings needed are likely to depend upon how many nominations require review, and cautioned against too many on the committee. Marcia considered Matt Walton might be valuable due to his link with the Ignation Scholarship.
b. Plaque Placement – About 80 people attended the August social and saw the plaque. Several people made recommendations. One idea was to place it in places for a period of time near the workplace of the people who receive the award. This requires a stable, mobile unit to minimize the risk of damage. We would want to display to be in public places and announce where it’s currently located. We want to have the control of where it’s located. Please add other ideas to Blackboard. Ezra Memorial
The correct bank and number information distributed by Jill. Donation locations (list) are still up. Video opportunity has only being utilized by one person so far. Jill will approach Dan Gerrity about more time options and send out other announcements. Linda suggested not being intimidated by what to say – just do it. Maybe go in small groups. SA Budget Report
a. Picnic came in at nearly $5,000 over budget due to increases in food costs as a result of higher attendance this year. Marcia will present that the event is open to Faculty and Staff and needs to be funded wholly.
b. Money from Fr. Spitzer for the Mission Award hasn’t been deposited this year. Marcia will ask Fr. Spitzer.
c. Current balance is about 1,296 and estimated needs to get us through the year is $5,500. Jill suggested a meeting with the controller, but Linda suggested a decision from Fr. Spitzer first would be best. The President’s Lottery money funds the monthly socials, which we will emphasize are important to not be cancelled. Fall Open Meeting Topics
Please make suggestions via Blackboard. Date has yet to be set – is likely to be November. Regents Meeting on 10/19 Prep
We need to help Kathy and Dale identify what to put forward about us to encourage them to create opportunities for us to be highlighted. Guidance from Dale and Kathy suggests there isn’t much time and limited opportunity. Let’s invite to the Oct 3 meeting. October Social: Wednesday, October 11, 2:30-3:30pm
Topic will be selected at the 10/3 SAEC meeting. Kim announced that the morning classes are cancelled for Outcomes Assessment meetings.
Mission Discussions – William will set a meeting with Mary Beth Charleboix and Tim. Angela suggested reaching out to the night shift folks with an invite to focus groups on mission. William wants the conversations to center round how the five mission areas are lived in our jobs.
9/5 Everyone visit Blackboard site (minutes, committee reports, discussion boards)
9/19, 9/5 Tim speak with Craig re access to evening and night shift staff
9/5 Marcia encourage Dan to schedule peer advisor meeting
9/19 Marcia will speak with Scott Bozman about the recently approved a phased-in retirement plan by the Faculty Senate regarding applicability to Staff and share results of that discussion with the Compensation Committee; she’ll also ask about the Faculty Senate recognition of Deans. 9/19 Georgia will send Angela meeting dates to post on the SA Calendar
9/19 Angela obtain Jim’s security information electronically to post to Blackboard site
9/19 Jill request Dan Garrity schedule additional film times for the Ezra Memorial
9/19 Marcia and William will meet with Fr. Spitzer regarding SA budget and an invite to an EC meeting,
9/19 Everyone willing to help with United Way Campaign, contact Janelle Axtell
9/19 SAEC designate a Compensation Committee Advisor
9/19 Compensation Committee will submit goals in November
9/19 Angela send Georgia latest draft of combined compensation/satisfaction survey
9/19 Everyone help to promote Cyber Security Month in October
9/19 Jill, Kim, and Connie will establish a Mission Awards Committee and invite help from Fr. Lee to select awardees.
9/19 Everyone provide suggestions for the Mission Award Plaque on Blackboard by October 1.
9/19 Everyone provide ideas for the Fall Open Meeting on Blackboard by October 1. 9/19 Angela invite Kathy and Dale to the Oct 3 meeting re prep for the Regents meeting
9/19 William will arrange a meeting with Tim and Fr. Lee regarding mission discussions.