Staff Assembly Executive CouncilMinutes
November 12, 2003
Members Present:Marcia Bertholf, Krystal Burns, Lisa Meyer, Linda Sue McClure,Trevor Werttemberger, Mike Casey, Georgia Dunham, Kathy Sherrick,Stacey Chatman, Bill Kostelec, Mary Beth Charleboix, Kim Gieber,Keith Gauthier.
Called to order at 12:05 p.m. by President Marcia Bertholf
1. Minutes: Minutes from the October29th meeting were approved as amended. Lisa to email those amendedminutes this afternoon.
2. CompensationConsultant: Just two SAEC officers, twoexecutive council members, and the Compensation Committee were inattendance at the meeting last Friday, Nov 7, 2003. Marciareiterated from the last meeting that is it essential that as manyofficers and council members participate in these events. Somepurposes of Stan McKnightâ€™s review were data gathering andlistening, and to ensure that Gonzagaâ€™s budget of salaryexpenditures (70%) is being spent appropriately and efficiently. Itwas duly noted that there is a lack of trust between staff,supervisors, and VPs and this should be considered if implementingpay for performance. Stan McKnight was also made aware of theâ€œliving wageâ€ ideology that is being developed and promoted oncampus. A report from them will be completed some time in thespring.
3. BuildingBlocks: Itwas clarified with HR that this is a staff assembly project thatthey are being asked to assist us with. Marcia will contact JohnCaputo as a presenter or to get suggestions he may have; locationis pending. Dale Goodwin has a list of faculty and their areas ofexpertise that is available for us to consult.
4. Accreditation: Thayne has asked to useour SAEC minutes as an Exhibit for Standard 9. He has requestedthat they be compiled and bound by the first week in December. Lisais in process of collecting the minutes from various sources andwill work with Thayne regarding protocol. Marcia, Thayne, and MikeCasey are working out the process for re-submitting the StaffSurvey as an Exhibit.
5. University BudgetCommittee: Keith met with the UBC. TheUBC wanted the staff priorities to be specified and the terminologyclarified or redefined. They are working on internal debtreduction; considering raising tuition 6%, and room and board 3%,according to current inflation rates. Gonzaga is mid-range fortuition costs of similar colleges. Keith asked the UBC what wouldbe the best way to push through the proposal regarding 9 and 10month positions. They will require the exact number of positionsand a budget statement. Keith will compile a list of budgetconsiderations for the next meeting along with requested changes toBudget Committee Report. Keith distributed Washington State povertyguidelines, and WIC and health insurance guidelines. Marciarequested a poverty report from Georgia. Chuck requested a prioritylist from us; Krystal will initiate an email conversation as towhat that list should contain; request was made by a staff memberto look into accruing one extra personal day after 5 yearsâ€™employment. Keith asked that employees have access to state andlocal community resources that can supplement income such asdaycare, Basic Health, WIC, etc. Lisa had started investigatingthis last spring and she and Marcia will formalize plan with otherinterested staff and faculty within the next few weeks.
1. Compensation SurveyExecutive Summary: Vote was taken and unanimous decision to post survey and commentsin Outlook Folder, and not the Gonzaga website as had beendiscussed in email discussions the previous week.
2. Heads Up: Cataldo meeting placewith a February date; subcommittee to be created to organize nextHeads Up.
3. Term Limits: Moved to next week.
Meeting adjourned at 1:00 p.m.
Scheduling of futuremeetings
Due to the Thanksgiving Holiday, the next meeting will be heldon November 19, 2003. Future meetings will be held every other Wednesday in the 1898 Roomfrom 12-1 p.m. Sincethis is the lunch hour, please feel free to bring your lunch. All SAEC members will benotified if there is a change to this recurring meeting.
By virtue of the bylaws,all Staff Assembly meetings are open unless otherwise designated bythe Executive Council. Everyone is welcome to attend.