STAFF ASSEMBLY EXECUTIVE COUNCILMINUTES
May 1, 2002 12:00 â€“ 1:00p.m.
CrosbyLarge Conference Room
Members Present: BillKostelec, Keith Gauthier, Neva Bishop, Krystal Burns, TheresaCastillo, Brett Hendricks, Kim Gieber, Anne Thomas, and LisaSmythe-Rodino from the Compensation Committee
Members Absent: BarbaraKolbet, Molly Spilker, Janice Resch
The meeting was called to order by President BillKostelec at 12:05
Approval of minutes from the April 17thmeeting was deferred until next week.
Minutes from the April 24th meeting wereapproved as written.
And the winner is:
The winner of the first Staff lottery drawing isTracy Kelly, HR Assistant in Human Resources. Tracy has won a $100 giftcertificate to the Luna Restaurant. CongratulationsTracy!!
So far we have received only 1 application. The Supervisor signatureform was not submitted so the Executive Council will ask for theform before sending the application to Mike Casey.
The Council decided to hold a luncheon in June tointroduce the new members, say a big Thank You to exiting members,and take care of any business that we might have at that time. Since we have traditionallyheld this open meeting in Hughes, we will need to move it as Hugheswill be under construction. It was decided that wewould look into getting the Spokane Room in the COG. Neva will look into thedates that would be available with a time of 11:30 â€“ 1 p.m. Bill will talk with Janiceto see about the costs from Marriott.
Name tag issue:
Do we want the members of the Executive Council and the Committeesto have personalized name tags to be worn at socials/picnics tobetter identify us to our fellow staff? In the past, we have hadgeneric nametags that just say â€˜Executive Councilâ€™ or â€˜Committeememberâ€™. This wasperceived as â€˜tackyâ€™ by some. Anne and Neva volunteeredto look into the costs of producing nametags with each individualmemberâ€™s name on the tag.
The Council decided that in order to get the ballrolling on planning this picnic, we needed to form asub-committee. It wasmentioned that only 1 person was running for the CommunityService/Outreach Committee. The Council decided thatthis person should be involved from the beginning. There are also some otheroffices on campus that might be of some help in the planning;namely Susie Prusch with Special Academic Events, StudentActivities, and C.C. Lavor from the Law School has expressed aninterest in helping with the planning. The Council suggested thatBill contact the 1 person running for the CommunityService/Outreach Committee and ask if theyâ€™d be willing to be theChair of the Staff/Faculty picnic sub-committee and contact theseother areas to get the planning started.
Note: After the Executive Councilmeeting, Krystal found out from the Elections Committee that thereare 2 people on the ballot for the Community Service/OutreachCommittee. Afterdiscussing this with Bill, it was decided that instead of theCouncil selecting the Chair of the Staff/Faculty picnicsub-committee, the sub-committee could select their Chair. Therefore, Krystal willcontact the 2 people on the ballot, as well as Susie Prusch, C.C.Lavor, and someone from Student Activities to see if they areinterested in serving on this sub-committee. She will also send an emailout to all faculty to see if there would be any volunteers to serveon the sub-committee.
Plant Services pay scale:
Lisa met with Steve and Heather from HR and learnedthat they have been given the go-ahead to do a cost analysis onwhat it would cost to move all non-faculty past their3rd quartile. It was suggested that theCompensation Committee, in conjunction with the Executive Council,write a memo in support of HRâ€™s researching this issue. There was some concernabout what exactly the Executive Council would be endorsing, sincewe donâ€™t really know what HR will be submitting to the Trusteesub-committee on this issue. The Council all agreed thatwe should support HRâ€™s move, but that we could still work on ourown proposal to change the pay scale for non-faculty. We would need to takelongevity, as well as merit pay, into account, which would bedifferent from the way Plant Services currently does their payscale.
If pay is based on merit, as well aslongevity, then the performance reviews would need to be tweaked toinclude outside reviews by co-workers and not just supervisors whomight not know a whole heck of a lot about their employeeâ€™sresponsibilities.
It was decided that Lisa and Georgia woulddraft a memo in support of HRâ€™s research, and this memo would beemailed to the Executive Council for review.
Lisa received an email from Mark Alfino, FacultyAssembly President, stating that he wanted to get the FacultyAssembly Compensation Committee together with the Staff AssemblyCompensation Committee to discuss the medical reserve issue andwhat should be done about the reserves. This meeting will takeplace sometime in September.
Janice sent an email to the Council from Mary JoLeveque, Health Center, regarding vacation for 9 and 10 monthemployees. Lisa saidthat the Compensation Committee would be looking into this afterthe Benefits fair next week, as Debbie has been tied up in theorganizing of this event.
Anne brought up the subject of employeesdonating their sick leave to other employees. She has been approached bya couple of employees about this issue and wanted to know if theCompensation Committee would look into it. Lisa mentioned that theCompensation Committee would be working on 3 things: 1) the memoregarding the pay scale and HRâ€™s research; 2) the medical reservesissue; 3) vacation issues and would include the donating of sickleave in with these areas.
Approval of minutes from April 17th andMay 1st meetings
Review memo from Compensation Committee regarding HRcost analysis research
Update on planning of Staff/Faculty picnic â€“ discusswhen to hold it
Update on price for nametags
Update on dates for June luncheon
Scheduling of futuremeetings
Next Meeting will be held on May 8, 2002.
Future meetings will be held each Wednesday in CrosbyLarge Conference Room from 12:00 â€“ 1:00. Since this is the lunchhour, please feel free to bring your lunch. All SAEC members will benotified if there is a change to this recurring meeting.
By virtue of the bylaws, all StaffAssembly meetings are open unless otherwise designated by theExecutive Council. Everyone is welcome to attend.
http://www.gonzaga.edu/staff email: firstname.lastname@example.org