STAFF ASSEMBLY EXECUTIVE COUNCILMINUTES
February 20, 2002 12:00 â€“ 1:00p.m.
CrosbyLarge Conference Room
Members Present: BillKostelec, Krystal Burns, Neva Bishop, Anne Thomas, Janice Resch,Keith Gauthier, Kim Gieber, Theresa Castillo and Lisa Smythe-Rodinofrom the Compensation Committee
Members Absent: BarbaraKolbet, Brett Hendricks, and Molly Spilker
Guests: Laurie Hanlon and MelissaThompson from the Nominations and Elections Committee
The meeting called to order by PresidentBill Kostelec at 12:07
Minutes from 2/13/02 approved as amended
· The Nominations and Elections Committee wasasked to come up with a meeting or session of some kind for theupcoming election where the candidates and the staff who will beelecting them can meet.
· We discussed the need to emphasize tocandidates the responsibilities and time commitment for eachposition.
· Motion passed to lengthen the term of theCompensation Committee from two years to three years. Discussions were hadregarding keeping one member an extra year on their existing termto facilitate better staggering of terms, so that one experiencedmember is not left on the committee with three new members. This change stems fromdiscussions with the Compensation and Benefits Committee and DebbieCerenzia, the Assistant Director of Human Resources, Benefits,regarding the amount of preparation and education it takes to be aneffective committee.
· Motion passed to add a third person to theCommunity Service and Outreach Committee beginning with theupcoming elections. This was done to help the committee move forward. This committee has a bigjob and has not been large enough to facilitate the actiondesired. We are goingto review the job description for this committee in an upcomingmeeting.
Bill provided a brief report from the budgetcommittee. Below aresome brief points from the budget committee.
· A balanced budget is being presented to theTrustees for Academic Year 02-03.
· The surplus from the current year AY 01-02 isbeing used to balance the budget for AY 02-03.
· May still need to house students in River Innnext year.
· Enrollment expected at 900, budget based on855. Law School budgetis based on 210, applications are running ahead of lastyear.
Motion passed unanimously to postpone until furthernotice.
Reviewed anonymous questions from thecommunity
Reviewed draft of questions, which arose from theinformation provided by Father Spitzer and Chuck Murphy in theirNovember meetings. Adecision was made that these questions would be to Chuck Murphy andSteve Doolittle as soon as possible, so that they could have timeto research.
A motionto have an agenda for future meetings passed.
Scheduling of futuremeetings
Next Meeting will be held on February 27,2002.
Future meetings will be held each Wednesday in CrosbyLarge Conference Room from 12:00 â€“ 1:00. Since this is the lunchhour, please feel free to bring your lunch. All SAEC members will benotified if there is a change to this recurring meeting.
By virtue of the bylaws, all StaffAssembly meetings are open unless otherwise designated by theExecutive Council. Everyone is welcome to attend.
http://www.gonzaga.edu/staff email: email@example.com