STAFF ASSEMBLY EXECUTIVE COUNCIL MINUTES
December5, 2001 12:00 â€“ 1:00 p.m.
Crosby LargeConference Room
MembersPresent: Kim Gieber,Theresa Castillo, Anne Thomas, Neva Bishop, Bill Kostelec, KrystalBurns, Brett Hendricks
MembersAbsent: Molly Spilker,Keith Gauthier, Janice Resch, and Barbara Kolbet
Themeeting was called to order by President Bill Kostelec at12:05.
Minutes from12/28 will be reviewed at the 12/12 meeting
Acknowledgmentletter to Fr. Spitzer
· Billpassed out a draft of a letter to Fr. Spitzer thanking him fortaking the Christmas time off proposal to the cabinet. This letter will go on itâ€™sown to Fr. Spitzer, with a list of moral boosters as afollow-up.
· Bill willhave Janice print the letter on letterhead and bring it to the nextmeeting for all the Executive Council members to sign
· Bill reada report from Jeannie Coffey from the last Budget Committee meetingon 11/30
· Eventhough we have had below average tuition increases in the last 5years, there is not a lot of difference between GU and the schoolswe compare ourselves to
· In2001-2002 tuition, room & board ranged from $18,840 to $33,350(GU was at $23,980). Tuition alone ranged from $14,222 to $26,200 with GU being at$18,300.
· There are2 arguments when considering raising tuition: charge tuitionaccording to the market and what it can bear, and set rates basedon whatâ€™s happening
· ESLprogram expects a big drop in enrollment due to the terroristactivities. Possiblyas much as 50%
· LawSchool is proposing an increase in tuition
· Energyfee charged this year will not be charged next year
· GU closedon bowling alley property on Boone and Pearl.
· Beganreview of VPs budget requests for FY 2002-2003
Proposalsfor Mike Casey and Fr. Spitzer
The ExecutiveCouncil came up with the following list of moral boosters topropose to Fr. Spitzer:
· Bettercommunication from the top down. We donâ€™t want to hear aboutthings neither through the Gonzaga grapevine rumor mill nor throughthe VPs, then Deans and Dept Heads. There should becommunication directly to staff from the top.
· Compensation/Benefits- Work to stop erosion of employee benefits. During Budget meetings puton by Chuck Murphy and Fr. Spitzer it was stated that the staffcould expect a â€˜modestâ€™ increase in pay. What does this mean? Just the 2% cost ofliving? Are weguaranteed the 2%? Andwhen would we find out about any increases? The cost of medicalbenefits is greater then the adjustments made to wages. In many cases, employeesare seeing a net loss in income/benefits.
· Gatherings as acommunity â€“ Bring back Oktoberfest or the spring picnics soemployees can feel a part of the GU community and interact withtheir fellow employees
· MandatorySupervisor training â€“ Provide mandatory, on going training for allsupervisors. Thistraining should not come from other supervisors within the GUcommunity. We shouldbring in professionals who can answer the questions that arise andwho can provide us with the skills needed to be effectivesupervisors. Alongwith this, there should be mandatory evaluations of supervisors bytheir staff, much like students evaluate theirprofessors.
· Commitment fromthe President that the staff at Gonzaga are significantstakeholders in the University
· StaffRecognition Day â€“ much like the day off Harry Sladich gave asActing President in 1996-97. This day would be inaddition to any vacation, personal days or sick days inappreciation for the extra duties and responsibilities the staffhas taken on to support the increase in studentenrollment.
· MonthlyLottery drawing â€“ to recognize one staff member every month with aprize. All full andpart time non-faculty staff would be eligible. With a budget of $1200 ayear, we could offer such prizes as a $100 gift certificate to oneof the local malls, or a gift certificate to a local restaurant,tickets to an event at the Spokane Arena, or symphony tickets,etc. The CommunityService/Outreach Committee could be in charge of drawing the namesand providing the prizes, as well as publishing thewinners.
· Anniversaryrecognition â€“ provide something more then a pin for the majoranniversaries. Perhapsa banquet to recognize all those employees whoâ€™ve been here for 5,10, 15, 20 years. Provide them with a nice, framed certificate. Could also include facultyand do a combined banquet to recognize employees commitment toGU.
Bill will writeup a list of these proposals, with a paragraph describing each andwhy we think it is important, for review at the nextmeeting.
Scheduling of futuremeetings
December 12,2001, Crosby Large Conference Room, 12:00 â€“ 1:00 p.m.
AllStaff Assembly Executive Council meetings take place on Wednesdaysin the Crosby Large Conference Room from 12 â€“ 1:00 p.m. Since this is the lunchhour, please feel free to bring your lunch. All SAEC members will benotified if there is a change to this recurring meeting.
By virtue of the bylaws, all Staff Assembly meetings areopen unless otherwise designated by the Executive Council. Everyone is welcome toattend.
Visitour website at http://www.gonzaga.edu/staff