Academic Policies

A. Disclaimer for Academic Policy and Program Changes

The University reserves the right to make changes in courses, programs, faculty, calendar, tuition and fees, grading procedures, graduation requirements, admission criteria, and any other information contained in this catalogue at any time without notification. Changes become effective when the University so determines, and applies to prospective students as well as students currently enrolled. The University will make an effort to notify students of changes through publications and notices.

B. Disclaimer for Course Availability

All reasonable care is taken to ensure that both course offerings and degree requirements contain no erroneous, deceptive, or misleading information by omission, actual statement, or implication. Every effort will be made by the University to offer at least the courses listed in this catalogue during the period in which it is in effect; student enrollment and faculty availability, however, may affect the courses offered. Some courses listed in this catalogue are offered only as needed. The decision to offer such courses rests with the Chairperson in consultation with the appropriate Dean. Final course information is published on ZAGWEB.

C. Academic Advising

Gonzaga University offers a wide variety of courses and programs.  So that students may make informed decisions, the University places great emphasis on academic advising.  All students are assigned to a faculty or professional advisor who can provide information about programs and requirements.  These advisors are provided with information on the academic background of the advisees.  Although advisors assist in drawing up class schedules and checking for requirements and prerequisites, students have personal responsibility for fulfilling the academic requirements as set forth in this catalogue.

All students must have their schedule of classes approved by their advisors each semester. At mid-term of each semester, advisors will meet with their advisees to distribute mid-term grade reports, to review academic progress, and to distribute registration information.

Advisors are available for consultation during their designated office hours and at other times by arrangement. The University expects that students will take advantage of the assistance which advisors can provide in course planning, interpretation of University policies and requirements, clarification of academic and career goals, understanding and using established processes for exemptions to University policies, and making use of the opportunities provided at Gonzaga for a satisfying and profitable academic experience.

Although advisors cannot change University policy or departmental requirements, they can assist students in submitting petitions to the appropriate office(s). Students should take special care that all approved petitions are placed in their permanent file in the Registrar’s Office. They should also make sure that both they and their advisors keep copies of such material.

Close and long-term relationships with advisors can often be very helpful in the larger educational process of college life. Advisors will sometimes take the initiative in contacting their advisees. Students are expected to visit their advisors at regular intervals.

Students are free to request a change of advisor. Forms are available in the Dean’s Offices.

D.  Office of Academic Advising and Assistance

The Office of Academic Advising and Assistance (AAA) provides academic support to the students, parents, and faculty of Gonzaga University through targeted and specific programs and initiatives.  Individual academic advising and counsel is also provided for students in between majors, new students, and/or transitional issues from one major to the next.  Programs run by AAA include the Early Warning System, academic standing and probation, summer programs, freshman registration, as well as individual assistance for students and faculty on academic issues.  To learn more about the programs and initiatives this office provides, please visit their website,

E. Course Numbering System

Lower Division Courses:

Below 100 - Remedial in nature; University credit is granted for no more than two courses numbered below 100 and they do not fulfill any core or major requirements
100-199 - Primarily first and second year courses for which there are normally no prerequisites
200-299 - Courses with usually one prerequisite; primarily for first and second year undergraduates

Upper Division Courses:

300-399 - Courses usually with prerequisites; primarily for third and fourth year undergraduates
400-499 - Courses with prerequisites; primarily fourth year undergraduates
500-599 - Graduate courses which may be taken by third and fourth year undergraduates with dean’s permission (these courses do not count toward a baccalaureate degree)
600-699 - Graduate courses for graduate students only
700-799 - Graduate courses for doctoral students only

F. Classification of Students

An undergraduate student is classified as a First Year, Second Year, Third Year or Fourth Year based upon the cumulative number of semester credits he/she has earned.

Cumulative Credits Earned    Classification

0 - 25          First Year

26 - 59        Second Year

60 - 95        Third Year

96 - More    Fourth Year

A post baccalaureate student has a bachelor’s degree from an accredited university and is not admitted to a graduate program. He or she may be pursuing a second bachelor’s degree or attending for personal enrichment.

G. Transfer and Evaluation of Credits

Gonzaga University welcomes the transfer student, and realizes that the unique contributions offered by students with diverse backgrounds enhance the vitality of the Gonzaga community. Applicants from other colleges and universities should note the following conditions: 

  1. Transfer credits must have been completed at a regionally accredited college or university.
  2. Transfer credits are evaluated on a course-by-course basis and are not rounded up.
  3. Each transfer course must have a grade of 2.00 or higher on a 4.00 scale.
  4. Transfer course grades are not calculated into the Gonzaga University GPA.
  5. “Pass” grades, “Satisfactory” grades, (or the equivalent) will be accepted in transfer as general elective credit only, and will not fulfill any core, major, minor, or concentration requirements.
  6. In order to fulfill a specific requirement at Gonzaga, the transferred course must be similar in content and depth to a course taught at Gonzaga. Transfer credits submitted in fulfillment of a specific major requirement must have the approval of the department Chairperson and Dean of the school.
  7. Transfer credit posted as equivalent to a Gonzaga course that a student chooses to retake at Gonzaga will be removed from the student’s academic record.
  8. Two-year college students (junior or community colleges) are allowed to transfer a maximum of 64 semester (or 96 quarter) credits in academic subjects. Only 64 of these semester credits can be applied toward a Gonzaga baccalaureate degree.
  9. Transfer students coming to Gonzaga with sixty four acceptable semester credits from a community college are not permitted to further enroll in any two-year institution for additional transferable credit.
  10. The transfer of any extension or correspondence course credit is limited to six semester credits and requires the written approval of the Academic Vice President’s Office.
  11. Some credit may be granted for AP and IB examinations. Please see policy and requirements at: :
  12. Educational experience in the Armed Forces is accepted for some transfer credit. Consideration is given to the service school training especially in a Defense Language Institute or in U.S.A.F.I. courses.
  13. All transfer students must complete at least 30 semester credits at Gonzaga immediately preceding their graduation from the University. In the School of Business Administration, transfer students must earn at least 50% of their business administration core and major courses at Gonzaga University.
  14. Students transferring in with 45 or more semester credits are permitted to waive either the Philosophy elective (400 level) or applied Religious Studies course (300 level).
  15. Students may not register in courses through any other institution while on a Leave of Absence status through Gonzaga (with the exception of non-sponsored study abroad programs.)
H. Transfer of Credits

Associate of Arts Degree (AA-DTA)

Students who have completed an Associate of Arts degree from a Washington State community college, North Idaho College, or Marymount College will normally be granted third year standing and will have satisfied many of Gonzaga’s core requirements. Students will be responsible for:

A university-level mathematics course beyond intermediate algebra.
One course in logic.
Five courses in philosophy and religion. (see G. 13 above).
A public/interpersonal/small group speaking course.

NOTE: Former Gonzaga students who re-enter the University from two-year colleges to complete their degree will not be able to benefit from the Associate of Arts degree transferability with regard to the core for course waiver privileges. All readmitted transfer students must fulfill all of the University’s core requirements. Transfer credits, however, will be evaluated and accepted on a course by course basis. Similarly, Gonzaga will not recognize an AA degree that is obtained using Gonzaga coursework transferred to fulfill AA requirements.

The Associate Degree must include at least 90 quarter (60 semester) credits of which 75 quarter (50 semester) credits must be directly transferable to Gonzaga. The maximum transferable credit from any community college is 96 quarter credits or 64 semester credits.

Associate of Science Degree (AS-T)

Students who have completed an Associate of Science degree from a Washington State community college or from North Idaho College will be granted junior standing and evaluation of coursework will be on a course by-course basis.

Permission for Transfer of Credits by Current Gonzaga Students

If a student on a Leave of Absence (LOA) takes courses at another institution, their LOA will be canceled and they must reapply as a 'former student' through Admissions. Transfer of credit must be approved by the Chair and the Dean of the relevant School or the College. Students who desire to register simultaneously at Gonzaga and another college or university must obtain prior written permission from their Dean.

Transfer of credit for courses taken in the summer at another college or university by Gonzaga students must be authorized PRIOR to taking the course, in writing, by appropriate University officials as specified on the Permission to Transfer Credits/Waiver of Senior Year in Residency form. Transfer credits are not rounded up. Current students may view the Transfer Guide on the Admissions website as a guideline for courses previously approved in transfer from other universities; individual approval is still required by way of the form.

As soon as credit is completed from another institution, students must request official transcripts be forwarded to the Registrar’s Office AD Box 83, Gonzaga University, 502 E Boone Ave, Spokane, WA, 99258.

Students who take and earn credit and a grade of D or higher for a Gonzaga course will not receive credit for transfer work deemed to be equivalent to the passed Gonzaga course. Students retaking a course from another institution in order to achieve the minimum department required grade should provide proof of the transfer grade directly to the department.

I. Transfer Transcripts

Based on standard institutional practice, copies of transcripts from other educational institutions attended by Gonzaga students and housed in their student file, will not be provided back to the student upon their request.  Students are asked to contact the issuing transfer institutions directly to obtain further copies of their transfer transcript records.

J. Registration Procedures

For each semester detailed registration procedures are published on the Registrar Office web pages at: If an individual attends a course section that he or she is not registered or financially confirmed for, no credit or grade will be recorded. Sitting in a course without registration is not permitted.

Late registration is permitted only during the published time for change of registration (add/drop).

Students who do not have the necessary prerequisites for a course will not be able to register for that course. For more information, please contact the Registrar’s Office.

K. Change in Course Registration

Any change in a student’s course schedule after registration requires approval from the academic advisor. Courses may be changed only during the period listed under Important Dates and Deadlines on the web pages of the Registrar’s Office.

Courses dropped during the official change of registration period do not appear on the student’s record; courses officially withdrawn after that period will appear on the transcript with a designation of “W” (Official Withdrawal).

L. Course Overload

Students in good academic standing may petition their School’s Dean to take more than the maximum of eighteen credits. Additional tuition charges apply for these extra credits. Students in the Honors Program, the Comprehensive Leadership Program, or the Hogan Entrepreneurial Leadership Program, however, with the approval of the respective Program Director, may take extra credits without charge.

M. Audit a Course

Audit grading option (AU grade assigned):

Auditors are students who register for a course under the 'Audit' grading option by signing the audit form in the Registrar’s Office. Regular tuition is charged. Activity courses (e.g., physical education, music, art, etc.) are not permitted to be taken under the Audit grading option. Auditors will not be allowed access to individual instruction, to equipment, or to supplies in conjunction with the course. Once a course is registered for under the 'Audit' grading option, students who fail to attend the class according to the regular attendance requirements of the class are liable to receive a “V” grade at the discretion of the professor.

  1. Registration is available through Registration Period III which is the Late Registration/Drop-Add period. The auditor registers for a lecture method course under the Audit grading option and pays tuition based on this option and course credits. A designation of “AU” is recorded on the auditor’s academic transcript if the auditor satisfactorily attended the course. An “AU” on a student’s transcript reflects no academic credits earned and indicates that the person has received exposure to the course content for an academic semester/term. The “AU” designation does not apply toward meeting degree requirements.
  2. A professor may assign a “V” grade for unofficial withdrawal when attendance is unsatisfactory.
  3. Under this option, audited course credits are not counted toward meeting full-time credit requirements for financial aid eligibility, student loans, VA benefits, etc., although standard tuition is paid for the credits. Auditors should be very cautious about registering using the 'Audit' grading option.
N. Course Challenge Program

Students who have completed at least twelve credits at Gonzaga and are matriculants in a degree program may take advantage of the Course Challenge option. This option allows for academic credit for certain courses to be obtained by demonstrating proficiency in the required subject matter. This option is available to full-time undergraduate students enrolled in a minimum of 12 credits, excluding the Course Challenge credits, and a maximum of 18 credits including the Course Challenge credits. Detailed information and regulations regarding this program can be obtained from the Registrar’s Office. There is a fee charged per credit challenged.

O. Withdrawal from the University

Undergraduate students who register but decide not to attend the University should obtain a Complete Withdrawal form from the Office of Academic Advising and Assistance (AAA). The withdrawal process requires approvals and an interview with a professional in AAA. AAA will assist students in acquiring approvals from the following offices as necessary: Registrar’s Office, Financial Aid, Student Accounts, and the Office of Housing and Residence Life. Tuition adjustments are based on the date a University official is notified by the student that he/she wishes to withdraw.  The tuition adjustment schedule for a complete withdrawal is posted in the Students Accounts and Financial Aid Offices.  Refunds for room and board will be prorated throughout the semester.  Financial aid funds will be refunded in accordance with University and governmental regulations.

P. Leave of Absence

Students who are pursuing a bachelor’s degree at Gonzaga and must interrupt their education for a period of not more than one year may be eligible for a leave of absence from the University. To be eligible for a leave of absence, a student must have a minimum G.P.A. of 2.00 in the preceding fall or spring semester and a cumulative grade point average of 2.00 or higher.  Leave of Absence forms are available from the Office of Academic Advising and Assistance (AAA). Students requesting a leave of absence must have an interview and obtain approval from AAA.  Students are not eligible to reside on campus, attend classes, or participate in regular campus activities during their absence. Students who attend another school during their leave of absence will have that status voided and they must apply for readmission to the University. Leaves of absence will not extend beyond one academic year. Students who wish to return to the University after the termination date of their leave of absence must apply for readmission to the University.