Chairperson: Kimberly Weber
Master of Education in Special Education
Program Director: Kimberly Weber
The Department of Special Education offers preparation for special educators within schools and other agencies. Candidates gain core competencies and then specialize in areas of interest. Individual field experiences are available to meet specialized needs. Three tracks of study are offered: Track One in Functional Analysis, Track Two in Early Childhood Special Education, and Track Three in General Special Education (usually completed for candidates who have an endorsement in another area and are seeking to add an endorsement in special education). The Department of Special Education offers teaching endorsements in Special Education (pre-school-12) and Early Childhood Special Education (birth-3). After successfully completing nine credits of the program with a 3.00 GPA or higher in each course, candidates submit an application for candidacy. This application requires an advisor recommendation and faculty review.
Each applicant must submit the following materials to the School of Education Graduate Admissions Office:
- A completed application form (see the School of Education website: http://www.gonzaga.edu/soe/grad) and non-refundable fee.
- A written statement of purpose addressing the applicant’s interest in graduate studies that relates to some area in the field, assessing the applicant’s current strengths, and describing what the applicant hopes to gain from a master’s degree program.
- Two letters of recommendation sent directly from the recommending persons to the School of Education Graduate Admissions Office using the Confidential Recommendation form (see the School of Education website).
- A resume.
- An official transcript from each college or university attended (international applicants must submit foreign transcripts in the original language and an English copy), final transcripts must bear a posted bachelor's degree. Only degrees and courses from a regionally accredited institution will be accepted.
- The official score from the Graduate Records Exam (GRE) general aptitude test or the Miller Analogies Test (must be less than five years old). This requirement may be waived if the applicant has an advanced degree, or graduated from the undergraduate special education program at Gonzaga University, or graduated from another program at Gonzaga University earning a GPA of 3.00 or higher.
- Submission of an official TOEFL score of at least 550 (minimum score of 80 if taken via internet) by each international applicant who graduated from a foreign college or university and whose native language is not English.
- Submission of a financial declaration form and supporting documentation by each international applicant.
- An interview with the special education faculty.
A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university is required.