General Academic Information

Please refer to the specific programs for admission requirements, time requirements and advanced and transfer credit information. Information pertaining to the Law School is published in the School of Law Student Handbook and Catalogue available from the Law School Registrar.

Admission to Candidacy

Upon completion of 12 credit hours of approved graduate work, a student may be admitted to candidacy. Candidacy will be denied and the student dropped from the program if the GPA is less than 3.00 or if the student’s performance is unsatisfactory. Students who have not been fully admitted to a degree program may not earn beyond 12 credits without such admission. The Program Director will inform those students not admitted to candidacy. A student may not transfer to a new program if he/she has been admitted to candidacy. Exceptions can be made with the approval of the Program Director and the Dean.

Degree Requirements

  1. Earn a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.00.
  2. Only degrees and courses from a regionally accredited institution will be accepted.
  3. Undergraduate and post-baccalaureate level courses may not be counted toward a graduate or doctoral degree.
  4. Courses used in the completion of a previous degree program may not be reused.
  5. Fractional credit is never rounded on a cumulative GPA and major GPA nor on the total minimum credits required for a Gonzaga degree.
  6. Course attendance is not allowed without official registration and financial confirmation.
  7. Payment of all indebtedness to Gonzaga University, the return of all equipment to the appropriate entity, and the return of all books to Foley Library are required prior to a prospective graduate's departure from Gonzaga. Holds may be placed on transcripts and diplomas for any of these or other deficiencies.
  8. Formal application for graduation: students must file an application and pay the graduation application fee according to the instructions and dates published by the University Registrar.  Degrees will be awarded upon completion of all requirements as of May, June, August, or December, with one public commencement ceremony held in May.
  9. Once a student has graduated from the University and a degree has been posted, no further change can be made to the academic record (i.e. grade changes).

Time Requirements for Degrees

All work accepted toward a degree is to be completed within a five-year period from the date of acceptance into the program or from the first semester of graduate-level enrolment, or advanced credit, whichever comes first. Students who wish to appeal to use course work older thAn five years will need to appeal to their Dean.

Challenge of Courses

Graduate-level courses may not be challenged.

Repeating Courses for Improved Grade

A graduate student can repeat any course with another course of the same designation, in an effort to improve the GPA.  The original course and grade will remain recorded on the student's transcript but will not be counted into the student's GPA.  The cumulative credits and GPA will be adjusted to reflect the last credits and grade earned.  Courses for which a student received a grade carrying no quality point value, such as W, (X prior to Fall 1996), and AU, may be re-taken in subsequent semesters; these grades are not included in the repeat course policy jurisdiction.  Courses taken as direct instruction also do not qualify under this policy.  Only courses re-taken at Gonzaga University qualify to improve the GPA.

Individualized Study

Students may undertake individualized study if it is considered necessary to complete their program. Application for individualized study must be made on a form available from the Registrar's Office. It is the responsibility of the student to demonstrate the relevancy of the proposed study and the ability to complete it within an agreed upon time line. For most master’s programs, the student is allowed a maximum of two individualized study courses (six credits) for degree completion.

Extension and Correspondence Courses

Courses taken in extension or by correspondence are not allowed as credit toward graduate degrees. In exceptional cases, the Academic Vice President may waive this regulation if recommended by the Program Director and Dean.

Thesis Information

Graduate students who are preparing their theses for publication will work with their respective Program Directors.


A student’s scholastic standing in each subject is determined by the combined results of examinations, assignments, class participation, and general evidence of regular and consistent application. Due weight is given not only to the degree of subject mastery manifested by the student but also to the ability to communicate orally and in written form.

Faculty are expected to be able to explain how final grades are calculated through the accumulation of points or percentages assigned in the evaluation of graded work. To indicate a student’s qualify of achievement in a given subject, final grades, in the form of letters and plus/minus indicators, are used by all instructors in the University’s graduate programs. The letter grades A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, F and V are assigned a “quality point value” for purposes of cumulative grade point average calculations, certification and consistency of grade assignment and reporting.

Letter Grades Quality Points Description
A 4.0 Excellent
A- 3.7
B+ 3.3
B 3.0
B- 2.7 Below graduate level expectations
C+ 2.3
C 2.0
C- 0.0 Treated as an “F”
D+ 0.0
D 0.0
F 0.0 (computed in GPA)

Grade awarded to students who complete the term and the course but fail to achieve course objectives.
V 0.0 Failing (computed in GPA)

Grade awarded to students who have not officially dropped or withdrawn from a course and consequently have not met class attendance requirements or participation in the course through the end of a semester. The grade is given at the discretion of the professor. Students should not assume that professors will automatically initiate course drops/withdrawals for nonattendance.
S (Satisfactory) Passing (not computed in GPA)

grade of B or higher
P (Pass) Passing (not computed in GPA)

grade of B or higher
NS (Non Satisfactory) Failing (computed in GPA)

grade of B- or lower
W (Withdrawal)
(not computed in GPA)
RD (Report Delayed)
(not computed in GPA)
AU = Audit

No credit hours earned; does not apply toward a degree; the “AU’ grade is not an option for instructors. Students must register for this grade mode no later than the close of Registration Period III which runs through the drop/add period.

I = Incomplete

May be given when a student with a legitimate reason (determined by the instructor) does not complete all the work of the course within the semester that he/she is registered for the course. The faculty member notifies the Registrar’s Office with the reason for the “Incomplete” grade, lists the missing material, and assigns a provisional grade that will be assigned thirty (30) calendar days into the following semester (summer sessions are not included). Requests for a date extension beyond the published date for removing incompletes must be approved through the appropriate Dean’s Office and sent to the Registrar’s Office for processing. Forms for this action can be obtained from the Registrar’s Office. If the instructor does not submit an extension or a new grade before the published date or time extension lapses, the provisional grade will be recorded on the student’s transcript. If a provisional grade has not been provided, the “I” grade becomes an “F” grade and is recorded on the transcript as an “I/F”. Whenever an “I” grade has been assigned, the “I” grade becomes part of the permanent record. i.e. “I/B”, etc.

IP- In Progress

Assigned for courses such as Research, Comprehensive, Thesis, Dissertation and Proposal Seminar, DPLS 730-736, and for other courses recognized by a Program Director/Dean as eligible due to the nature of the course and the need for more than a semester to complete the course work. Instructors must indicate the deadline for completion of the work. If no grade is submitted by the end of the following semester, an “IP” automatically becomes a “W” (unofficial withdrawal). Requests for time extension beyond the deadline must be submitted by the instructor to the Registrar’s Office by completing the Extension form and obtaining signatures from the dean of the school the course falls under as well as the Academic Vice President. Once the course is complete and graded, the Change of Grade form needs to be processed and the grade will be entered on the student academic record by the Registrar’s Office.

P = Pass

Designated elective courses may be taken on the Pass/Fail grading option by student request, not that of the instructor. Instructors do not know that students have chosen the Pass/Fail grading option for their courses. Students select this option before the drop/add registration period closes by completing the appropriate paperwork in the Registrar's Office. Letter grades assigned by instructors that are 'B' or higher are converted to 'P' grades at the end of the semester and grades of B- or below are converted to 'F' grades. The 'P' grade does not calculate into the grade-point average and the credits earned count toward the minimum number of credits required to graduate. The 'F' (fail) grade affects the cumulative GPA as a standard 'F' grade. Courses taken under the Pass/Fail grading option do not satisfy any University degree requirement and can only be used as elective credit toward the overall credit total required for graduation.

S/NS = Satisfactory/Non Satisfactory

Certain courses are designated by academic departments for Satisfactory (S)/Non Satisfactory (NS) grading only. This is not a grading option that students choose. This is the grade mode determined by a department/school. The “NS” grade has the same effect as an “F” (failing) on the GPA. An “S” grade does not affect the GPA, and the credits earned are counted toward the total needed to graduate. Courses using this grade mode will not be converted to a standard grade.

RD = Report of Grade Delayed

If an instructor fails to assign a grade for a course and the grade entry is left blank, the Registrar’s Office will assign an “RD” and the “RD” will remain a part of the student record until the earned grade has been received by the Registrar’s Office. To submit the grade, a Change of Grade form is required along with the Dean’s signature.

V = Unofficial Withdrawal

Grade awarded to students who have not officially dropped or withdrawn from a course and consequently have not met class attendance requirements or participation in the course through the end of a semester. The grade is given at the discretion of the professor. Students should not assume that professors will automatically initiate course drops/withdrawals for non-attendance.

W = Withdrawal

No penalties incurred. Not included in the attempted or earned GPA.

Grade Point Average

Graduate programs require a 3.00 cumulative grade point average in course work approved for the degree program. Students failing to meet the minimum grade point average will be considered on probation for one semester, may lose veteran benefits, and may be dropped from the program. Credits which carry a letter of C-, D, F, AU, W, V, IP, I, or RD do not count toward a graduate degree. The grade point average is determined by dividing cumulative quality points earned in authorized courses by the cumulative credits attempted in authorized courses. Letter grades (AU, W, I, IP, and RD) do not count as credit hours attempted and quality points are not awarded.

Transfer of Credits

Graduate students may transfer credits into their program with the approval of their Program Director, the Dean of the students program, and the Registrar’s Office. A maximum of 1/5 of program credits (usually six credits for graduates, 12 credits for doctoral) may be transferred.

Course work must be distinctively graduate level by the transfer institution and must have been taken within the last five years. A minimum grade of a B (P grades must be defined as B or better) must be earned. Courses previously applied to a degree are not transferable to the student’s current program. It is important to note that all credits converted to semester credits, are not rounded up and are awarded only after signature approval for transfer of the course have been obtained on the Permission to Transfer Graduate Credits form.

Non-Gonzaga Transcripts

Based on standard institutional practice, copies of transcripts from other educational institutions attended by Gonzaga students and housed in their student file, will not be provided back to the student upon their request.   Students are asked to contact the issuing institutions directly to obtain further copies of their transcript records.

Change of Grade

A change of grade requires a Change of Grade form signed by both the instructor and the Dean of the school in which the course was offered. Grades are normally changed only because of calculation error or failure to take into account a significant amount of student work.

Full-Time Status

In general, students must be registered for a minimum of six credits per semester to be considered full-time.