Performance management is an ongoing, continuous process of communicating and clarifying job responsibilities, priorities and performance expectations in order to ensure mutual understanding between manager(s) and employee. It is a philosophy which values and encourages employee development through a style of management which provides frequent feedback and fosters teamwork. It emphasizes communication and focuses on adding value to the university by promoting improved job performance and encouraging skill development. Performance Management involves clarifying the job duties, defining performance standards, and documenting, evaluating and discussing performance with each employee.
- Increase two-way communication between manager(s) and employees
- Clarify mission, goals, responsibilities, priorities and expectations
- Identify and resolve performance problems
- Recognize quality performance
- Provide a basis for decisions such as promotions, succession and strategic planning, and annual increases