Residence Life/University Dining
Gonzaga University provides residence life accommodations for students with disabilities that demonstrate a need for specific types of residences. Please follow the DREAM Process for securing accommodations to request specific residence accommodations. Note that residence accommodations have the following deadlines:For new students entering in the Fall – May 15th
For current students requesting for upcoming Fall – December 15th
Requests made after these deadlines will still be considered, but are not guaranteed. If the student demonstrates a need for the accommodation after the deadline and Residence Life cannot meet the student’s need, an exemption to the university residency requirement will be provided.
DREAM asks the Residence Life office to place the student in any dorm room that can fulfil the accommodation needs of that student, DREAM does not ask Residence Life to place a student in a particular dorm.
Single Room Requests:
Single rooms are not granted based on a need for quiet study space. Residence halls are designed as living spaces. We ask students who need very quiet environments for study to seek other places on campus that are designated as quiet study areas.
All other single room requests should be requested using the DREAM Process for Securing Accommodations.
Meal Plan Exemption
Exemption from the Gonzaga University meal plan is only granted in cases where a medical condition or disability prevents a student from meeting dietary needs through Gonzaga dining services. Exemptions requests are reviewed by the Meal Plan Exemption Committee which includes representatives from DREAM, Residence Life, Sodexho Management, and a Registered Dietician. The process for requesting a meal plan exemption is available here: Meal Plan Exemption Form. Things to keep in mind:
- The accommodation of "full meal plan exemption" for disability reasons is rarely given because it is rarely necessary. Sodexho already has a great set up in place to ensure access to meet nearly every dietary need or restriction. (Always contact us if you are unsure.)
- If you know about dietary needs in advance please look here: meal plans, and make a decision based on those needs. If something changes with your health or you feel you need a plan that is not listed, please contact us.
- The Marketplace already works to give a large variety to every student, including students who chose certain diets, students who have dietary restrictions, and students with allergies. Please look over their web site here: https://zagdining.sodexomyway.com/dining-choices/index.html before requesting accommodation.
- DREAM does not grant a full exemption or modification for financial reasons, contact Residence Life as they already have a process in place for those cases.
- See DREAM's documentation guidelines: DREAM will not accept documentation from a medical professional that merely states that a meal plan exemption is required as supporting evidence enough to provide such an exemption. We require a diagnosis, diagnostic criteria, and symptoms of the condition, especially atypical symptoms. With this information, narrative from/discussion with the student, and engagement with dinning service staff, appropriate accommodation will be determined.
Assistance and Service Animal Policy
Information regarding this policy is available here: Gonzaga University Assistance and Service Animal Policy for Students