Making a gift of securities (stocks, bonds or mutual funds) can have advantages for you and Gonzaga University.
You may receive an income tax deduction for the full market value of the donated shares if you've held the securities for more than one year, and you may avoid capital gains tax on the appreciation.
Procedures for donating securities depend on how you hold them. In each case, we ask that you notify us of your intent to make a gift of securities so that we can track the gift and assure its proper completion. This will also ensure that you receive accurate and timely acknowledgement of your gift for income tax purposes.
- If the stock is held by your broker or commercial banker, an electronic transfer to Gonzaga's brokerage account is the most efficient method of transfer, especially at year-end.
- If the securities are held in certificate form, there are several methods for assuring safe transfer of the securities to Gonzaga - please contact us!
- For gifts of mutual funds, please contact us first, because procedures may vary slightly with each mutual fund company. Please allow 4-6 weeks for this process, especially if you wish to contribute mutual funds by December 31st of a calendar year, for tax purposes.
Please contact the Office of Planned Giving to notify us of your intention to make a gift of securities or mutual funds; we can make the process as simple as possible. To facilitate the process, please have this information available:
- Name of the stock/mutual fund gifted
- Number of shares
- Designation of the gift
- Approximate date of expected gift
Contact us at:
Office of Planned Giving
502 East Boone Avenue
Spokane, Washington 99258-0098
Toll Free: 800.388.0881
Electronic Transfer Instructions
You will need to provide your broker or bank with Gonzaga University's account information. Please contact Judy Rogers, director of planned giving, at 509.313.6131 to obtain the necessary information.
Gonzaga University has a broker with Morgan Stanley and and account with Merrill Lynch.