Prepare for Winter Weather
Prepare for winter weather - IN DORMS
- Equip your dorm room for loss of power; have a flashlight handy, as well as blankets; keep computers, cell phones and other electronic devices charged
- Candles are NOT allowed
- Portable heaters are NOT allowed
Prepare for winter weather - OFF CAMPUS HOUSING
- Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from heating equipment sources
- Have heating equipment and chimney cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional
- Turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed
- If you have a fireplace, be sure to have it and the chimney inspected before using. Always use a sturdy fireplace screen that will catch sparks. Ashes must be cool before disposal. Use only metal containers, and keep the containers a safe distance away from your home.
- Test smoke alarms monthly.
- All fuel-burning equipment should be vented to the outside to avoid carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. Never operate portable barbecues or gas stoves indoors.
- Install and maintain CO alarms.