Supervisor and Human Resources Role in Managing Performance
When you are facing a performance discrepancy (a gap between your expectations and actual performance) you have the responsibility to ensure that employees have the feedback to do the job before moving to disciplinary actions.
If you feel confident that you have provided these opportunities to your employees and if a performance discrepancy still exists with a particular employee:
- Frequently review employee's objective plan and established goals from the performance review program to ensure ongoing communication
- Make it explicitly clear to the employee what is expected
- Repeat the performance standards to the employee
- Enforce the performance standards
- Document the performance discrepancy and actions you have taken, and then
- Begin the Corrective Action Process
Resources to assist in corrective action can be found here.