April 2014 - Import Rubrics from Excel
Creating rubrics just got easier. Simply use our Excel rubric template and add in your criteria and scales, save it, and upload it in the Turnitin Rubric/Form Manager. Finally, add your rubric scoring values and it's ready to use with any of your assignments.
March 2014 - Grade Anything
Instructors and students can now submit any file type to Turnitin for grading online or distributing work for peer review. Submission file types may include PowerPoint® presentations, spreadsheets, images, html code… whatever file type your students use for their assignments, Turnitin will accept it.
This exciting new feature allows Turnitin to be used by a broader range of instructors: those who evaluate presentations or teach in disciplines such as science, math, economics, and visual arts.
Learn how instructors across the curriculum use Turnitin.
No submission? No problem! Instructors can provide students with feedback using Turnitin even if there is no file submitted for the assignment, such as with a musical recital or dance performance.
With Turnitin, instructors in every discipline can evaluate student learning and give rich, timely feedback regardless of the nature of the assignment.
|When copying a class in Blackboard the Turnitin engineers recommend the following to make sure your Turnitin assignments function properly:
Turnitin is an easy-to-use software program which provides originality checking, online grading and peer review to assist educators with plagiarism prevention and engage students in the writing process. Turnitin encourages best practices for using and citing other people's written material and offers instructors ways to save time and improve their feedback on the writing process. Gonzaga University subscribes to the Turnitin Suite which is comprised of OriginalityCheck, GradeMark and PeerMark.
- OriginalityCheck: Turnitin's OriginalityCheck helps educators instruct students on effective research, writing and citation skills. OriginalityCheck compares students' work against a database of over 17 billion web pages, 200 million student papers, as well as other online databases and publications.
- GradeMark: GradeMark is a paperless grading tool which helps save time, money and the environment. Instructors can grade directly from within the student paper - providing comments, feedback and even rubrics.
- PeerMark: PeerMark is a tool for facilitating peer review, allowing students the ability to evaluate and provide feedback on each other's work.
The Turnitin Suite is fully integrated into Gonzaga's BlackBoard e-Education platform, so you or your students do not need a separate password to use the software. However, instructors can use Turnitin directly from their website by going to Turnitin.com. If you would like to use Turnitin directly, please contact ATASupport at ATASupport@gonzaga.edu for instructions.
- Instructor User Manual for Turnitin integrated in Blackboard 9
- Instructor User Manual for GradeMark
- Instructor articles from the TurnItIn support center (These may not show Turnitin integrated in Blackboard but still contain great information).
- If you need any assistance with Turnitin, please contact ATASupport to schedule an individual training time.
Statistics and Other Fun Facts:
- "Worldwide, the service examines about 40 million papers a year. In December, during final exams, the site processes 400 new submissions per second." - Denver Post, 02/07/2012
- Turnitin is used in more than 126 countries and 10,000 educational institutions according to turnitin.com
- Most popular sources used in higher education according to a 2011 survey done by TurnItIn based on 33 million papers that were submitted to Turnitin.com between June 2010 and June 2011:
- Wikipedia (10.74%)
- Yahoo! Answers (3.90%)
- Slideshare (3.87%)
- Answers.com (3.57%)
- Oppapers.com (3.11%)