Undergraduate Research


Students in Gonzaga's Biology and Chemistry & Biochemistry departments have the opportunity to enhance their college experience through independent research in a faculty mentor's laboratory. Gonzaga's programs in the sciences provide opportunities both over the summer and during the academic year for hands-on laboratory training.

We have a limited number of paid positions each semester, and sometimes it takes more than one semester to receive a position. Fall semester applications are available the first week of classes and are due about one week later. Spring semester applications are available in early November, and are due around Thanksgiving Break. Applications for full-time summer positions are available in late January, and are due about two weeks later. Decisions for summer are usually made just prior to spring break. All application materials are submitted on-line to Angie Hinz and will be available from this site at the appropriate time.

Remember that the best way to secure a research position is to go and talk with a potential faculty mentor about their research projects. Explain to them why you want to do research, where your own passions lie and how a position in their lab will help you in you in your future career (whatever that may be...). Be ready to commit to 5 hours per week and have a plan for how research is going to fit into your other academic commitments.

Are you ready for research? Check out the Independent Research Flyer!

Here are some suggestions to make you more competitive for the next round of awards:
  1. Always go and talk to a prospective mentor prior to listing them on your application. Faculty need to know you are genuinely enthusiastic about the research before they will agree to be your mentor.
  2. Consider volunteering or working for credit this semester. If you can show a faculty member what an asset you will be to their lab, you are much more competitive for a paid position when one becomes available.
  3. Continue to take a wide variety of courses, and do well in them. Show that you are a competent student who is able to take on the additional challenge of independent research.
Options for independent research
HHMI/GSRP supported assistantships
  • Academic year assistantships come with a $650 stipend and are for one semester each.
    Students are expected to work an average of 5-6 hours per week during the semester.
    A student must apply each semester to receive additional awards.
  • Summer semester assistantships pay $10 per hour, with a maximum of 440 hours and a minimum of 320 hours.
    Students may work for a combination of credit and pay.
  • Biology majors are encouraged enroll in the Research Concentration.
Grants to individual faculty members
  • Some faculty have grants to support undergraduate research in their labs.
  • These positions do not have a time limit, and the hours per week and salary are decided on each individual case.
  • If you are particularly interested in a faculty member's research, please contact them to see if this an option.
Research for credit
  • Independent research may also be done for academic credits. The type of research may be either in the lab, or a directed reading.
  • Together the student and faculty fill out an application for individualized study
  • Typically 1 credit is awarded for 5 hours of work per week.

Research Off-campus
  • For a listing of some of the research options off-campus, see Get Off-campus!
  • Many deadlines are in Fall semester - don't put off your applications!

General Information

In the Biology department, the Research Concentration provides research-interested students additional advising and research experiences, as well as additional classes in mathematics and participation in local outreach programs.

In the Chemistry and Biochemistry department, the Senior Thesis provides a year-long independent research project for students during their senior year.

For more information on the many types of research being conducted in both departments, see the Faculty Research Interests page. Funding for research projects is provided by a number of sources, including Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI), Gonzaga University Science Research Program (GSRP) and grants to individual faculty members. In addition, research can be done for academic credits.

HHMI Program Staff
Program Director Dr. Nancy Staub staub@gonzaga.edu
Outreach Coordinator Rachel Zack zack@gonzaga.edu
Research Coordinator Angie Hinz hinz@gonzaga.edu
HHMI Advisory Board
Dr. Kirk Anders anders@gonzaga.edu
Dr. Mia Bertagnolli bertagnolli@gonzaga.edu
Dr. Jeff Cronk cronk@gonzaga.edu
Dr. Brook Swanson swansonb@gonzaga.edu
Dr. Nancy Staub staub@gonzaga.edu
Dr. Jeff Watson watsonj@gonzaga.edu

If you have any questions about this website, or would like more information, please contact Angie Hinz .

Click to visit CAS Homepage/GUMainWebsite/Academics/Colleges-and-Schools/College-of-Arts-and-Sciences/inc/logologocopyright


502 E. Boone Avenue AD 5
Spokane, WA 99258
Angie Hinz
Hughes 118
Phone: (509) 313-5889