Reporting Options

Reporting Options

There are a number of ways that incidents of sexual misconduct can be reported.  The first and most important thing is to make sure that the person who has experienced sexual misconduct is safe and not in immediate danger.  If someone is in danger, call 911 immediately.   

Reporting Options:

If you feel you have experienced any type of sexual misconduct or harassment you may report the incident in a number of ways: 


 2) Assistance is available from the University 24 hours a day year-round by calling the Campus Public Safety & Security Dispatch Center at 313-2222 or extension 2222. You can request a Security Officer to respond and take a report, or request to speak to a Sexual Assault Response Team (SART) First Responder. You do not have to file a Security incident report to speak with a SART First Responder

 3) During regular business hours you may also contact a professional staff member in the Student Life Office, College Hall 120, 313-4100 or extension 4100

 4) An anonymous incident report can be completed on-line by using the anonymous report form via the Gonzaga University website at

 5) A report can be made with a SART First Responder, Security Officer or a Professional staff member from the Student Life Office

  • You may report the incident without disclosing your name, the name of the accused person or requesting any action. However, withholding your name, the name of the accused or requesting no action may limit how the University can deal with the situation
  • You may report the incident and request an investigation and/or University judicial action
  • You do not have to decide whether or not to request University judicial action at the time you make the report. This option to request action is open to you as long as you and the accused person are students of the University

 6) File a criminal report with the Spokane Police Department. You can report directly to SPD by calling 911. It is important to preserve any evidence. Do not shower, douche, wash clothes, brush teeth, eat or drink after an assault. The police may want to collect evidence for a potential criminal investigation.

Notifying the Spokane Police Department will generally result in the reporting party, and in some cases the accused, being contacted by a police officer. The police department determines if a criminal investigation will occur and if the case will be referred for prosecution.  A case not referred for criminal prosecution will still receive a University response.

 A report made only to Gonzaga University is not the same as a report made to local police. The University process and the criminal justice process are two separate courses of action. If you wish to file a report with the Spokane Police Department, a Gonzaga Student Life Professional staff member will assist upon your request. The University will not file a police report about your incident or on your behalf unless compelling circumstances exist.  The University's response to a report is not impacted by the reporting party's decision to file a criminal complaint, or the outcome of the criminal investigation.  You can pursue a criminal complaint and a complaint through the University at the same time.  In some cases the University's investigation may be delayed while the police investigation is being done.

 If you want to talk to someone about an incident of sexual misconduct in a confidential manner without making a report or having any investigation or action by the University or the police you can:

  • Speak to a counselor at the University Counseling Center, 313-4054 or extension 4054. Professional and pastoral counselors employed by the University will treat you with confidentiality and not share information with other University departments unless there is a danger to you or some other person
  • Call SAFeT (Sexual Assault and Family Trauma center), the local sexual assault crisis agency at 624-RAPE. SAFeT's services are completely confidential and they do not exchange information or forward reports to the University

 Questions, Concerns and Oversight of the Process:

 The Student Life Title IX Coordinator is responsible for oversight of response to reports and complaints of sexual misconduct and harassment.  This includes insuring compliance with the regulations of Title IX, providing assistance and support to University employees who respond to reports or complaints and addressing concerns about the Student Life division's handling of reports and complaints.  The Student Life Title IX Coordinator is located in the Student Life Office (College Hall 120, 313-4150 or extension 4150) and is available to meet with students or involved parties to discuss the process.  The University also has a Title IX Coordinator responsible for oversight of the University's overall response to Title IX matters.  The University's Title IX Coordinator is located in the Equal Opportunity Office within the Crosby House (corner of Addison and Sharp, just north of College Hall, 313-6910 or extension 6910).  The Title IX Coordinators may only discuss a specific case with persons other than the reporting party or accused if written authorization is provided by those parties.  Inquiries concerning the application of Title IX may also be referred to the Title IX Coordinators or the Office of Civil Rights via