Campus and Community Resources

There are many different places to get support, both in and outside of the University.  Below is a list of people and places that can help:

 Gonzaga's Sexual Assault Response Team (SART) First Responders: First Responders are available to assist the re­porting party with immediate and short-term needs. SART Responders are trained to respond to incidents of sexual misconduct and are available to meet with friends or family members of the reporting party who also may seek assistance or support immediately after an event.   SART First Responders will connect reporting parties who want ongoing support, resources, and information about Gonzaga judicial options to the Student Life Case Manager. You can speak anonymously to a SART member by calling 509-313-2222 and declining to give your name. For more information about SART, click on the link on the left. 

 Student Life Case Manager: The Student Life Case Manager provides ongoing support for reporting parties while also serving as a liaison to various other university resources that can help reporting parties remain in control after an incident.  The Case Manager is available during normal business hours and will meet reporting parties in a safe and comfortable location.  The Case Manager can help make accommodations and provide support in various areas including with on campus housing and academic options, explaining university judicial processes, aiding students in filing reports with law enforcement or Campus Public Safety and Security, and connecting a student to on and off campus resources.   To speak with the Student Life Case Manager, call 509-313-4175 (ext: 4175).

 Spokane's Community Advocates: SAFeT (Sexual Assault and Family Trauma Center) community advocates offer crisis intervention, information and referrals, legal advocacy and support services for all crime victims and their friends and family members. SAFeT Advocates can assist with Crime Victims Compensation which may pay for a hospital emergency visit and testing. It is important to note that talking with a Community Advocate is not the same thing as making a report with the University. Community Advocates are completely independent of the University and do not provide information disclosed to them to the University.  Call 624-7273 or check out their website at:

 Alternatives to Domestic Violence Program (ADVP) : ADVP is the only state recognized domestic violence service program in Spokane County.  The program supports and advocates for victims who are experiencing abuse and violence in their relationships.  This program provides a confidential safe shelter for women and children, transitional housing for 20 families, individual and group counseling, legal representation and advocacy. ADVAP has a 24 hour help line available by calling 509-326-2255 (509-326-CALL),  Visit their website by visiting:  

 Medical Care: If medical care is needed after an incident these procedures should be considered as soon as possible.

  • Sexual Assault medical examination, sometimes called a "rape kit" to collect potential evidence for a criminal complaint (provided only by a trained examiner in a hospital) Local hospitals with trained medical examiners include:

Sacred Heart Medical Center

101 8th Ave

Spokane, WA 99204

Deaconess Medical Center

800 W. 5th Ave

Spokane, WA 99204

  • STD and HIV testing (available through the University Health Center or another off-campus provider)
  • Pregnancy testing (available through the University Health Center or another off-campus provider)

Health care concerns related to the incident may be discussed with the hospital emergency staff, your own private physician or the University Health Center staff, who can also provide referrals to off-campus providers. Please know that the collection of evidence does not mean that you have to press charges, but may preserve that option.  For the most accurate collection of evidence, getting medical attention immediately is recommended. Gonzaga's Switchboard (509-328-4220) can arrange for no cost transportation to a local hospital. 

 Emotional Needs: Individuals who have experienced sexual misconduct are encouraged to obtain help from a professional counselor and/or support group. GU's Counseling Center Staff (313-4054, ext: 4054) is available to meet with students by appointment, or in some cases on short-notice. Off-campus counseling independent of the University may be arranged through a SAFeT advocate (624-7273), First Call For Help (838-4428) or through a referral from the GU Counseling Center.

 Academic and Living Arrangements: A reporting party may request a change in academic or living situation after a report of sexual misconduct or harassment. Upon request the University will inform the reporting party of the options and will ac­accommodate the request if those changes are reasonably available. In some cases the University may initiate these changes without a request. 

 Safe Transportation:  Campus Public Safety & Security will provide escorts on and near campus (to and from residences in the immediate neighborhood) upon request by calling 509-313-2222 (ext: 2222).   During the school year the "SafeRide" program (509-568-6000) provides students a free cab ride if they find themselves in a situation which their personal safety or well-being is compromised.

 Retaliation: Although extreme emotions and stress may be involved in these incidents, the University does not condone any person on either side of the incident engaging in any type of retaliation and views complaints of retaliation with great seriousness. Retaliation may include continued abuse or violence, other harassment, and slander and libel. This conduct may be by the accused or others.  A reporting party is strongly encouraged to report any concerns about retaliation to Campus Public Safety & Security or the Student Life office. Violations will be handled in accordance with this policy and the University's Behavioral Expectations.

Privacy Concerns: Students who have experienced sexual misconduct are often concerned about their privacy.  At higher education institutions, FERPA is a federal law that guides how student's information is protected and released.  Students who are concerned about unwanted persons locating them or who may have other privacy concerns should consider making their Gonzaga records confidential.  To do this, students should stop by the Registrar's Office located in College Hall 229 and fill out simple paperwork that will keep all student records confidential.  Please see the Registrar's Office Confidentiality of Records policy regarding "Directory Information" for more information about this.  You can reach this webpage by clicking on

 Gonzaga University Support Services:

SART First Responders 313-2222 or extension 2222*

Campus Public Safety & Security Dispatch 313-2222 or extension 2222*

Health Center 313-4052 or extension 4052

Counseling Center 313-4054 or extension 4054

Student Life Office 313-4100 or extension 4100

 Spokane Community Services:

Spokane Police Department                                              911* or 456-2233 (non-emergency)*

SAFeT (Advocacy and support)                                         624-RAPE*

First Call For Help                                                                 838-4428*

Sacred Heart Medical Center Emergency Dept.            474-3131*

Holy Family Hospital Emergency Dept.                             482-0111*

Deaconess Hospital Emergency Dept.                              458-5800*

National Support Hotlines/Resources:

National Domestic Violence Hotline                 1-800-799-7233 *

National Sexual Assault Hotline                                         1-800-656-4673*

National Teen Dating Abuse Hotline                 1-866-331-9474*

Domestic Abuse Helpline for Men & Women                 1-888-743-5754* (specializes in supporting male victims)

Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network           *

*24/7/365 availability