Sometimes people don't think that the behaviors they observe are a big deal. Yet often, others are seeing similar warning behaviors and feeling concerned also. This is why it is important to take just a few moments to report your concerns. In doing so, students can get assistance sooner, before their challenges grow.
Concerning Situations (non-emergency)
Some examples of non-emergent behaviors you may become concerned about include:
- Traumatic events (i.e. death of close family/friend, sexual assault, etc.)
- Disclosure of domestic violence or assault
- Changes in behavior, mood, or personal hygiene
- Inappropriate behaviors or comments
- Depression, anxiety or paranoia
- Alcohol, drug or prescription medication misuse
- Reports of not sleeping or eating
- Repeated requests for classroom accommodations or allowances (i.e. deadline extensions, etc.) without any formal Disability Access accommodations
This list is certainly not exhaustive. If you notice anything that raises your level of concern about a student, you are encouraged to fill out the Student of Concern Form or call the Center for Cura Personalis at 509-313-2227 so that one of Gonzaga's professional Student Development staff can reach out to the student. Student Development has staff on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to support students. If it is after normal business hours, or over a holiday or weekend, you can also call Campus Security at 509-313-2222 if you have an urgent concern about a student.
You might notice behaviors that require immediate attention from professional staff at the University. These situations may cause immediate concern for the safety of an individual or the community.
Some examples of behaviors that require immediate attention include:
- Threats or talk of suicide or self-harm
- Possession of weapons
- Acts or threats of physical and/or sexual violence
- Apparent disconnect from reality (e.g. hearing voices, nonsensical speech)
- Missing students
- Medical emergencies
In case where immediate threat or concern is observed, please call Campus Security and Public Safety at 509-313-2222. If the situation appears life threatening to anyone involved, please call 911.
502 E. Boone Ave.
Spokane, WA 99258-0076
Student Development has staff on call 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to assist in any urgent crisis situation.
In an urgent situation that needs immediate attention, please call Gonzaga Dispatch at 509-313-2222 for assistance.