Making a Referral

Making a referral

There are many ways that you can make a referral of a student that you are concerned about. 

You can walk with the student to the Student Support Services located at 717 E. Boone Ave. The office is staffed from 8 am to 4:30 pm every business day.

  • You can fill out the Student of Concern form.
  • You can call the Student Support Services at 509-313-4009 and talk to one of our staff.
  • If you have an immediate concern for the student's safety or the safety of the Gonzaga community because of a student, call Campus Security at 509-313-2222
  • If there is an active emergency, call 911 immediately.

Our staff is also available for consultation. If you are concerned about a student but not sure what to do, feel free to call our office. We will gladly help work through the situation with you.

What happens after I make a referral?

Once a referral has been made, Student Support Services staff review the information provided and then strategize about the best way to reach out to the student. In every case, thought is placed into how best to reach out to the student in a kind, caring, and supportive way. Sometimes we reach out through professional Residence Life staff who live in community with the student. If we know a particular staff member knows a student well, we may try to gather more information and figure out who is the best person to reach out to the student. We strive to have the person reaching out to the student be someone the student is comfortable with, and who can provide support and resources to the student.

Some situations require immediate action, such as situations where a student is making an immediate threat of harming him/herself or harming others.  These are situations where we must act immediately to take measures to protect both the individual student and the community.  If you encounter a situation similar to this, you are urged to call Campus Public Safety and Security at 509-313-2222 immediately. 

Who Can Help?

If you aren't sure who to call about a student of concern, the Student Support Services Office is a great place to start.  A professional staff member can help talk through your concerns and help create an action plan.  The Division of Student Development has a number of different departments and staff who work directly with struggling students. Professional staff in Housing/Residence Life, the Health Center, Counseling Center and more have training specific to working with struggling students.   Within Student Support Services there are three case managers who work directly with students to assess their needs, connect students to on and off campus services, and help students create and execute long term self care plans.  At Gonzaga, case management is not counseling or therapy; rather, case managers have the opportunity to develop close helping relationships with students while coaching students toward good self care and advocacy.  To speak directly to a case manager, please call the Student Support Services Office at 509-313-4009.

Gonzaga also has a case team that meets weekly to discuss students who may be experiencing challenges.  This team works to gather information on struggling students and appoint a person to reach out to those students.  Members of the case team are from many different departments including:

  • Dean of Students Office
  • Student Support Services
  • Housing/Residence Life
  • International Student and English Second Language Programs
  • Counseling Center
  • Health Center
  • Athletics
  • Office of Academic Advising and Assistance
  • Campus Security
  • UMEC

Student Development has staff on call 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to assist in any urgent crisis situation.  If you believe you have an urgent situation that needs immediate attention, please call Gonzaga Dispatch at 509-313-2222 for assistance. 

Gonzaga University
502 E. Boone Ave.
Spokane, WA 99258-0076
(509) 313-2227

Student Development has staff on call 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to assist in any urgent crisis situation.

In an urgent situation that needs immediate attention, please call Gonzaga Dispatch at 509-313-2222 for assistance.