Gonzaga University
Gonzaga Online Newsletter
Top Story
Freshman Class Breaks Record for Size, Diversity
By Peter Tormey
Gonzaga's new freshman class is remarkable in many ways but sets records as the largest and most diverse class ever along with being one of the University's most academically gifted classes.
Read Full Story
Interim President McCulloh Debuts Blog
Don Hackney Sets Eyes on Alumni Reunion Oct. 23-25
Zags Prepare for 40th Annual Pilgrimage Sept. 19
Students Hope Dodge Ball Game Sets World Record
Engineering Celebrates 75 Years with Gala Sept. 25
Gonzaga Remains No. 3 Best University in West
Tracy Ellis-Ward Brings Wealth of Leadership to Unity House
View All Current News Releases
Photo Slideshow
September 16, 7:00 PM
GU Career Center Hosts 'Interview Prep'


September 20-26
Rebuilding Together - New Orleans


September 22, 8:00 AM
GU Forum to Host Nucor CEO Dan DiMicco


September 30 , 5:00 PM
Luvera Lecture Features Bobby Lee Cook


October 6, 7:00 PM
GU Social Justice Series at Crosby


October 13, 6:30 PM
Institute Against Hate to Honor Lassman


Through November 18
'Exhibit Spokane' at Jundt Art Museum


Gonzaga Reunion
Fall Family Weekend
Feedback
Give Green
FOLLOW US: Facebook twitter youtube
GU History
Gonzaga’s first law graduates, June 1915.
(Photo and text provided by the
Gonzaga University Archives.)
GONZAGA OPENS SCHOOL OF LAW IN 1912
After Gonzaga College changed its name to Gonzaga University, the institution opened its first School of Law in the fall of 1912. A three-year law course was offered in the evening, five nights a week. Saturdays were for debates and special assignments. Tuition was $75 a year and textbooks cost $25. Students had to find housing outside of the University. Until a suitable law library could be purchased, arrangements were made with the Spokane Bar Association to allow students access to the Association’s law library in the Spokane County Courthouse. Seventeen law instructors were listed in the 1912-1913 Catalog. The faculty consisted of practicing lawyers, who insisted from the beginning that the School of Law be professional. Most of the instructors were non-Catholic. The first Dean of the Law School was Edward J. Cannon. Nineteen students were admitted that first term. In March 1915, Gonzaga School of Law received state accreditation. Later that year, on June 10, 13 students received the first Bachelor of Law degrees offered at Gonzaga.