Gonzaga University
Gonzaga Online Newsletter
Top Story
Recognizing Men and Women For Others
By C. Hightower, S.J.
This is the fifth installment of JesuitSpeak, a primer of Ignatian terminology. Here, Fr. C. Hightower, S.J. outlines the phrase "Men and Women for Others." A key formational goal of the Society of Jesus, at times, the reality and weight of the phrase hits home with undesired costs; Molly Hightower lost her life in the Jan. 12th earthquake in Haiti.
Read Full Story
A Nontraditional Gonzaga Love Story
'Hoop It Up: Gonzaga's Basketball Heritage' Exhibition Opens
Students Serve Homeless, Break Down Barriers
John Dienhart to Deliver Aram Lecture on Business Ethics March 4
Chemistry Scholar Strahan Returns to Alma Mater
'Iron Chef GU' Cooks Up Some Culture
Mary Skips 'Lost' to Catch Famed Poet Sharon Olds
Gonzaga Community Reaches out to Help Haiti
Gonzaga Ranks No. 7 in Alumni Peace Corps Volunteers Nationwide
View All Current News Releases
Photo Slideshow
February 18, 8 P.M.
Women's Basketball: GU vs Loyola Marymount


February 20, 2 P.M.
Women's Basketball: GU vs Pepperdine


February 22, 7:30 P.M.
GU Symphony Concert at the FOX


February 24, 5 P.M.
Compassions in Mission, Mass in the University Chapel


February 25, 8 P.M.
Men's Basketball: GU vs Santa Clara


February 23 - March 3
GU Readers Theatre Stages 'To Kill a Mockingbird'


February 27, 5 P.M.
Men's Basketball: GU vs San Francisco


Be Inspired
Gonzaga Alumni Community
Gonzaga Alumni Community
Follow Gonzaga:
Facebook twitter youtube linked in news rss
Gonzaga History
Gonzaga Football Stadium, 1922. Text and photo supplied by the Gonzaga University Archives.
Gonzaga Football Stadium, 1922-1949
Responding to the need to accommodate bigger crowds for the growing football program, Gonzaga University built a new football stadium in 1922 with the help of civic leaders. Dominating a large portion of campus property, the north end zone was located just south of DeSmet Hall; the other end zone was where the Foley Center now stands.

The stadium cost $100,000 and was considered the finest in the west with grandstands holding 5,000 people. The stadium included a football field, a quarter-mile regulation track with eight lanes, baseball diamond, press boxes, clubhouses, and restrooms. The first game there was held on Oct. 14, 1922, when Gonzaga battled Washington State College. In addition to hosting Gonzaga events, the City of Spokane also used the stadium.

Unfortunately, the unusual plan to pay for its construction created a financial burden for the University. A further complication was the five-member composition of the city's Board of Supervisors, which included three from Spokane and two from Gonzaga. This meant Gonzaga did not control its own stadium. In 1925, Gonzaga accepted the advice to enlarge the stands to seat 10,400 people to try to make more money. In 1931, lights were installed for night games.

Football ended at Gonzaga in 1942 due to World War II. The stadium was demolished in 1949 at a cost of $36,000.