Gonzaga University
Gonzaga Online Newsletter
Top Story
It's GameDay Baby! ESPN-Style at Kennel
By AUTUMN JONES
ESPN College GameDay brought top sports broadcasters Rece Davis, Digger Phelps, Bob Knight, Hubert Davis, and Jay Bilas to the McCarthey Athletic Center earlier this month, marking the second time in three years the sports network went live from Gonzaga for its wild and wildly popular GameDay program.
Read Full Story
Isaac Strong Gets Plum Research Gig in Big Apple
Introducing Scholars’ Corner
Gonzaga Launches Social Media Sites
Gen-Y Holds Sway in Car Market
Gonzaga Affirms Commitment to Environment
Famed Jacob Lawrence Works Coming to Jundt
'Face of Poverty Week' Includes Photo Art Exhibit
Zags Snag National Service Honor
Grammy-Nominated Death Cab for Cutie Coming
View All Current News Releases
Photo Slideshow
Share Inspiration
Feb. 24, 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
'Inspired to Learn' presents Rare Books


Feb. 25, 1:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Partnership in Employment Career Fair '09


Feb. 25, 7:00 PM - 8:30 PM
'Stories of Saving Water'


Feb. 26, 6:30 PM - 8:30 PM
'Inspired to Learn' presents Arab-Israeli Conflict


Feb. 26 - 28
'The Last Days of Judas Iscariot'


March 3, 7:30 PM
Visiting Writers Series: Claire McQuerry and Joe Wilkins


March 6, 7:30 AM - 2:00 PM
Women's Leadership Conference at SCC


Jan. - April
'Violence' Exhibition @ Jundt Art Museum


Athletic Schedules
www.GoZags.com


ZagsOnline.org
ZagsOnline.org
Feedback
Give Green
GU History
CONSTRUCTION OF THE EAST END ADDITION
By 1900, Gonzaga College had 244 students attending. Space again became a problem. Construction began for a new addition to the east end of College Hall in1903. Finished in December 1904, the new addition used 2 million bricks and 600,000 board feet of lumber. Upon completion, College Hall had 444 feet of frontage along Boone Avenue. The new addition included classrooms, a chapel for 550 students, and a dormitory on the fourth floor. In the basement there was a 20-by-50-foot swimming pool called "The Plunge", showers and locker rooms. A gymnasium was located on the east end (now Magnuson Theatre). The gym had two stories, a lower gym 12 feet high for smaller boys and the upper floor for older students.
The Gonzaga University Construction of the east end addition of College Hall, 1903. For more detailed history about Gonzaga, visit: foley.gonzaga.edu/GUHistory. Photo and text courtesy of the GU Archives.