Staff Assembly Executive Council Minutes
March 23, 2011
COG Wa/Cal Room
Present: Angela Ruff, Kim Gieber, Wendy Thompson, Carol Huston, Connie Hickman,
Norm Leatha, Rodolfo Pagsanjan, Erik Blackerby and Toni Boggan
Guests: Compensation Committee - Georgia Dunham, Bill Kostelec, and John Correia
Call to order: 12:00 p.m. by Angela Ruff, SAEC President
Treasurer Report: Tabled until our April meeting
Compensation Committee -
- Participation in the benefits renewal process. Final decisions are being made by HR.
- Revising the previously-declined proposal time for nine and ten month employees to earn vacation hours.
- Participating in the retirement fund audit committee. A recent federal law requires oversight of the retirement account. The Committee was invited by HR to participate in the new university committee established for this purpose.
- Continuing with the shift differential proposal by collecting information from employees and area companies.
- Review benefits differences by job type, in particular tuition waiver for studying abroad by staff, clarity for Mission Possible participation possibilities.
- Paid Maternity Leave for staff.
Angela announced that Executive VP Martin mentioned at a recent meeting with the Council that ten new policies being proposed by HR to update the employee manual will be circulated for community input.
Angela stated that because President McCulloh has been clear that the pay-for-performance model is not going to be implemented, many in the community are concerned about the lack of a compensation adjustment system that assures keeping pace with the marketplace.
The Committee was asked what they need for support to continue efforts. It was suggested that additional committee members be added to carry on the work. Committee members asked for an emphasis on clarifying expectations of their role.
Discussion ensued regarding job descriptions and their related responsibilities. Additional
Discussion tabled for a future meeting.
ACTION ITEMs: Committee to submit a memo supporting the proposal for nine- and ten-month employees to the Council for further action, will investigate benefit differences according to job classification, Angela will check with Marty on the status of policy input. Angela and Rodolfo will refine the committee role description and expectations for the coming year.
Staff Assembly Ballot:
Elections Ballot is in the process of being compiled.
ACTION ITEM: Rodolfo is working to complete the ballot and will distribute a draft for council review.
VP for Mission Interview:
The Staff session is open to all members of the University staff. It will be held on Wednesday, March 30th from 9:45 - 10:45am. in the Foley Teleconference Room. The Council will interview the candidate following this session.
Next Meeting: April 6, 2011 at 11:00 in the Road to Utopia Conference Room, Crosby
Respectfully Submitted by Kim Gieber